SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a topic on this going over in the tire forum, so forgive me if this is multiple posting, but I'd very much appreciate the collective R wisdom on this forum:

I've pretty much decided to treat my '05 V70R to a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports (235/45-17), but I'm dithering on PS2 vs the new A/S Plus. I have snow tires (on now), but with the driving profile and weather I have, I could probably drive the A/S all year.

I do push the limits of adhesion sometimes in cornering, esp. in the wet and I will do the occasional lapping session at track days, but that might be twice a year. I don't mind a seasonal changeover if it means a big performance edge for the summer tire, but how do you think this comparison stacks up?

I know you could safely say you're "giving up a bit" in handling and adhesion with the A/S, but does anyone really have any experience to share re how much?

Noise is a lesser factor for me and wear really comes third. Also, if someone has another choice, based on V70R experience, I'd be glad to hear it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Re: V70R "summer" tires vs. all-season (willyjp)

Go with the Michellin Pilot Sports A/S. I love mine and I live in California. I drive them year round. They give up a bit in the hard powered cornering ( like a clover shaped on ramp and the like..accelerating hard into these types of turns you can feel the softer A/S wall give) but other than that extreme type of environment, they wear fantastic and give a great ride and are very stiff walled otherwise. I'm running 18's on my V70R

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,740 Posts
Do you have 17's or 18's?

If performance is what you seek, I would hold off on a summer tire unless you have 18's. I run 17's with F1 A/S in the winter and it absolutely sucks compared to my 18's with F1 gsd3 on.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I'm just up the road from you and use PS2 on 18" in Summer and Blizzaks on 17" in Winter. The PS2s are phenomenal for our Spring/Summer/Fall seasons, especially wet traction. The only drawback I've noticed for the PS2 is they don't do well in the cold, so frosty Spring/Fall mornings require caution.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
17"...should have added that! (235/45-17)
Given the road conditions (including epidemic speed bumps) around here and the harshness
and lack of suspension travel in the V70R, I rule out going to 18" with their lower sidewall height. The trade-off I am really interested in knowing about, if anyone has any experience with it, is between Michelin Pilot Sport compounds: the PS2 vs the A/S+. Seems like no one has really ever tested that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: V70R "summer" tires vs. all-season (cklabr)

cklabr: I'm practically in Olympia more than Portland, because I keep my sailboat there. I think I've seen Frank Hoffy's R a couple of times on I-5 too...fits the description, but he doesn't wave!

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Re: (willyjp)

I have 17s for both summer and winter and I run blizzaks in winter and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 summer rubber in the warmer months. I'll never go back to A/S tires, did that for a few years with the T5...

·
Registered
67 Posts

Funny - I typically see a lot of Oregon R cars visiting these parts and have had the fortune to talk to a few. Let me know when you're coming up here sometime.

I've never driven my R with all-season tires; sorry I can't be of more help in the decision process. But I absolutley love the PS2s.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,740 Posts
Re: (willyjp)

Quote, originally posted by willyjp »
17"...should have added that! (235/45-17)
Given the road conditions (including epidemic speed bumps) around here and the harshness
and lack of suspension travel in the V70R, I rule out going to 18" with their lower sidewall height. The trade-off I am really interested in knowing about, if anyone has any experience with it, is between Michelin Pilot Sport compounds: the PS2 vs the A/S+. Seems like no one has really ever tested that.

I've run the PS2 and AS as well as F1 and AS. If it is ultimate traction comparison you are looking for, I would guesstimate 5-10%, but that depends on ambients. What you also have to factor in is the ride and feel. That is very subjective, but there is no question that the PS2 is an exceptionally supple tire with great feedback. The AS version suffers there. If compliancy were a measure I would give the PS2 a 10 and the AS a 6.

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote, originally posted by willyjp »
I have snow tires (on now), but with the driving profile and weather I have, I could probably drive the A/S all year.

My 2 cents.... FWIW

Keep your snows and go with the 3-season solution that give you the best of what you want when driving most of the time. My reason though, is not 'how much do you give up driving A/S in the Summer'.... It's 'how much do you lose driving A/S in the Winter'

This is the first car for which I have ever had dedicated Winter tires (Michelin PS Alpin) and I will always have them from now on.

In the snow, slush, wet, ice... every other car and SUV out there was like an old RWD Firebird, including our V70T

As it turns out, I just put on my B-Stone Potenza RE960 A/S for the upcoming 3-seasons. It's no track tire, but does the job for all conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.