SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
06' s60r M66, 05' v70r M66, 06' xc70 5sp, 08' xc90 V8 Sport
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a question to all R fans or just Volvo fans. How much is a 2005 V70r with 115k on new engine and M66 trans installed, 205k on body, 4c is working and has been serviced, Gobi interior is clean, down pipe and iPD catback exhaust, 18” pegs some what clean, fresh end links, ball joints, iPD sway bars, stock height, no major codes on vida, has a few items that need fixing like back hatch latch is broken, needs a real R grille, nothing to major but it has a "rebuilt" title from a rear end accident. Nothing to bad but it has been hit before so she is no longer a virgin. What do you think it’s worth? 4k, 6k, 8k, 10k, 12k any thoughts would be great take into consideration that the problems will also be fixed like missing R grille. Thanks in advance. Pictures are from before and after the accident.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
The title kills it the most. The interior color I think is a challenge too. But... there are many more people who want a manual R than there are Rs... so you can get a good premium over what it should be worth. The motor doesn't help the value, but I think it does make it easier to sell. I'd start higher and then discount till someone bites if you're not in a rush. Typically a rebuilt title cuts the value in half... I think in this case it would be less than that.

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The title kills it the most. The interior color I think is a challenge too. But... there are many more people who want a manual R than there are Rs... so you can get a good premium over what it should be worth. The motor doesn't help the value, but I think it does make it easier to sell. I'd start higher and then discount till someone bites if you're not in a rush. Typically a rebuilt title cuts the value in half... I think in this case it would be less than that.

Thank you for the response. That helps a lot. So the deal is I have a xc70 that I was going to do a M66 and R engine swap on but with the tuning needed for the ECU and CEM conversion. I'm looking at another 2k into the project I've got going already. My current wagon has a rebuilt title already and I came across this v70r which is what I wanted all along. I can pick up the v70r for a little over 3k in the current condition and do the swap plus I have other aftermarket parts that will go right into the v70 instead of the xc70. I would most likely keep the car for myself just didn't know if still worth it due to the rebuilt title but you can't find a 05'+ v70r in ok shape for under 5K these days.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I have a hard time believing those are 18s.
That aside, something looks off on this panel maybe (might just be me)?
If you can get it for that cheap, then a good toy to play with but make sure it doesn't have frame damage that will prevent you from aligning it well...
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

Thank you for the response. That helps a lot. So the deal is I have a xc70 that I was going to do a M66 and R engine swap on but with the tuning needed for the ECU and CEM conversion. I'm looking at another 2k into the project I've got going already. My current wagon has a rebuilt title already and I came across this v70r which is what I wanted all along. I can pick up the v70r for a little over 3k in the current condition and do the swap plus I have other aftermarket parts that will go right into the v70 instead of the xc70. I would most likely keep the car for myself just didn't know if still worth it due to the rebuilt title but you can't find a 05'+ v70r in ok shape for under 5K these days.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Also, panel gap on the other side is jacked. I think it got hit harder than you think.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Reactions: DFrantz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a hard time believing those are 18s.
That aside, something looks off on this panel maybe (might just be me)?
If you can get it for that cheap, then a good toy to play with but make sure it doesn't have frame damage that will prevent you from aligning it well...
View attachment 163856

Thanks I think they might be 17's but I've got a set of 18's to put on. I saw that too in my picture but I think its just the wired reflection. It was hit in the rear and I can see some minor damage to the spare tire area behind the rear bumper. Do you think that could affect a 4 wheel alignment? I was thinking it is cheap enough to pick up and play with for myself. Maybe down the road a can find a real Virgin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, panel gap on the other side is jacked. I think it got hit harder than you think.
View attachment 163857

Yes this is the side that shows the worst of it. The panel gap is off due to being hit on the passenger rear corner. Non of the glass was broken in the accident so I was thinking not that bad of a hit. I can clearly see the gap is off. Did you look at the pictures from the towing yard after the accident? You've got a great eye what else do you see that is off? Any recommendations to what I should look at or check out again before finalizing the purchase? Thanks

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
You seem to know enough to walk away if it doesn't seem right. In both rear shots post damage, the rear doors don't shut. I just think it's too questionable for ME. I'm by far not an expert on what else you should poke around to see. There are a lot of little electric things in the back on these and I'd be worried about electrical stuff later on too (shorts, etc.). Is back latch broken because the hatch doesn't close/open well? Gotta wonder. It sure would suck to not be able to use the hatch if for instance you had... a flat! I just worry about structural integrity on a car that's been compromised once.
But hey - for 3K and if overall it seems like it's decent everywhere else maybe it's worth a gamble.
Yes this is the side that shows the worst of it. The panel gap is off due to being hit on the passenger rear corner. Non of the glass was broken in the accident so I was thinking not that bad of a hit. I can clearly see the gap is off. Did you look at the pictures from the towing yard after the accident? You've got a great eye what else do you see that is off? Any recommendations to what I should look at or check out again before finalizing the purchase? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 V70R M66 | 2013 C30 M66 | 1996 855 AW42
573 Posts
That’s not a terrible price, but after going down that road I kept finding things worse and worse with my black sapphire wagon. This car wasn’t a professional fix job at all. I would personally look into what it would take to properly fix it. I really thought I would be able to tolerate mine, but everytime I look at the terrible gaps and shoddy repair I hate it. I moved on to a minty 04 silver wagon and use the black one as a donor for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would pass, that right quarter panel is indicating that the right rail has been damaged, and knowing most rebuilders, they probably pulled the worst of it out and puttied over it.
Ok so I’m a little familiar with the rear end of these as I just took a rear quarter panel off my wrecked SR for my other SR. The rails you speak of are running the length on the vehicle from front to back correct, I’m guessing you might call that the frame in these unibody’s? I’m going to get the hatched opened this weekend and really inspect the spare tire area and pull up any carpet to expose metal to really get my eyes on the type of damage this thing took. My SR was also hit in the rear and they mangled the taillight and rear passenger panel and I pulled the panel off another wrecked s60 so I can weld back together so I figured any damage past the rear subframe points I could think it should still be structurally sound and safe it just might not look clean and I know that the damage is there. I’m going to dig in a little more before I spend the cash. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s not a terrible price, but after going down that road I kept finding things worse and worse with my black sapphire wagon. This car wasn’t a professional fix job at all. I would personally look into what it would take to properly fix it. I really thought I would be able to tolerate mine, but everytime I look at the terrible gaps and shoddy repair I hate it. I moved on to a minty 04 silver wagon and use the black one as a donor for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that’s my main hang up is that I plan to keep the car especially at that price not trying to make any money off it but I’ll always know it’s not perfect and to see little imperfections that jump right out at me because I know where they’re at does suck. If no structural damage I’m still thinking about it because to find another one in this price range it’s just getting harder and harder.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, they are getting harder to come by. I remember the 2017-2019 days when you could easily find decent shape examples for anywhere from 2500 to 6K depending on configuration.

YouTube publicity, BaT, and the other outlets have significantly hyped up these cars so everyone is striving to buy them as an investment.

The thing that is most annoying about buying a car like this is you constantly will be battling yourself on how much you want to put into it with a tarnished chassis. The rebuilt title wouldn't bother me at all if the car was straight, years ago it was common for them to get R titles because insurance would often total them for broken bumpers, etc. Unfortunately this is not one of those examples.

I think if you are serious about the car you need to buy a professional a 12 pack, then get them to come look at it with you for their honest opinion on how to fix that panel properly. If you can totally fix it up, even with the R title I think it would be a decent buy. Chances are fixing it properly will double the purchase price, which brings you quite close (and even to) finding a straight one.

I'm a bit biased and like to see these cars saved, mostly due to the massive part outs we saw a few years back. Especially wagons. Sadly mine is too far gone due to the A pillar being damaged beyond reasonable repair.

Reactions: bensoda and ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
573 Posts
I also notice another thing, in this picture

The wheel looks like it's sitting a bit further toward the rear than it should be, I'd imagine it's actually an illusion caused by the rear of the vehicle being pushed slightly forward vs suspension damage, but yeah, it crumpled a bit. It might be able to be pulled without much effort, but I'm no body man.

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys for the insight I’m planing on going out first thing on Saturday morning to take my tools, put it up on jacks and check as much stuff that I know to look at and check. If I don’t feel super comfortable with what I see as damage I might just walk away. But the plan is to really keep for myself and enjoy the wagon with a manual trans so we’ll see what happens. I’ve tried to watch as many videos and info about the rear crumple zones on these cars and how they react to a rear end hit today. I’ll keep everyone posted. Thank you again for everyone’s inputs really helpful.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
What did you find?
Thank you guys for the insight I’m planing on going out first thing on Saturday morning to take my tools, put it up on jacks and check as much stuff that I know to look at and check. If I don’t feel super comfortable with what I see as damage I might just walk away. But the plan is to really keep for myself and enjoy the wagon with a manual trans so we’ll see what happens. I’ve tried to watch as many videos and info about the rear crumple zones on these cars and how they react to a rear end hit today. I’ll keep everyone posted. Thank you again for everyone’s inputs really helpful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What did you find?
Well I decided to pass on the salvage title one and spend a little more to have a 06' with a clean title transported to me, motor is starting a knock in lower end but I've got a lower milage engine and M66 to drop into it so not to worried about the engine. Plus already has KW's, iPD sways, iPD rear toe arm, front subframe bushings, iPD LCA's, iPD ball joints, iPD end links, Do88 w/ piping, BNE top hats, full exhaust, extra rebuilt Bevel gear and a lot of extra parts. Oh did I mention it's a slick top too. I'm still setting up the auto transport once I've finalized the sale and have her I'll post pictures. But I feel more comfortable with a clean title and knowing there's never been a hit to the frame (unibody).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I decided to pass on the salvage title one and spend a little more to have a 06' with a clean title transported to me, motor is starting a knock in lower end but I've got a lower milage engine and M66 to drop into it so not to worried about the engine. Plus already has KW's, iPD sways, iPD rear toe arm, front subframe bushings, iPD LCA's, iPD ball joints, iPD end links, Do88 w/ piping, BNE top hats, full exhaust, extra rebuilt Bevel gear and a lot of extra parts. Oh did I mention it's a slick top too. I'm still setting up the auto transport once I've finalized the sale and have her I'll post pictures. But I feel more comfortable with a clean title and knowing there's never been a hit to the frame (unibody).
Wise decision. Next month will mark my 1-year anniversary in an 04 V70R with a manual transmission that I bought from a private seller in Ohio. The private seller was the second owner. I currently have almost 232,000 miles on it.
I bought it for $6K. So far, I've spent almost $4K on it, which included a set of new tires, changing spark plugs and ignition coils, new control arms, and some other things.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts