SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I don't know what to say about this picture that disturbs me most; the leds in the grille, the big ass eyeball or the funny bike rack locations.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
guess you like your lights the way they are, not me.
LOL.

There is literally no one on this forum that your statement applies to less than DevolvR.

If you're going to post light fixes, you could at least post some night time shots showing them in operation, including some head-on shots showing how much glare these cause.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't know what to say about this picture that disturbs me most; the leds in the grille, the big ass eyeball or the funny bike rack locations.
In his defense, mountain bikes are hard to get up onto the roof of a car. They are significantly heavier than road bikes. Based on the wide track I assume he's riding mountain bikes so that explains the very outward positioning.

s3w2s1 - Are the LED's a high beam only kind of thing?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If you're going to post light fixes, you could at least post some night time shots showing them in operation, including some head-on shots showing how much glare these cause.
I want to ask the same for your set up :p

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I've got euro spec headlights waiting to be installed, but when I get around to it I'll be sure to send you some photos.
Same could be said about my retrofit.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
In his defense, mountain bikes are hard to get up onto the roof of a car. They are significantly heavier than road bikes. Based on the wide track I assume he's riding mountain bikes so that explains the very outward positioning.

s3w2s1 - Are the LED's a high beam only kind of thing?
I completely understand, and normally it won't bother me so much. Just the whole combination made it look really really awkward as I have mentioned.

·
Registered
598 Posts
2600 lumens fixed the problem.

Rigid Dually D2s
I was hoping to do something like this, but more stealthy. I'd prefer not to see them when they are off and definitely don't want to remove/cover the 'R' symbol. How did you mount them? Do you think it would be possible to mount them on the inside of the grill? I already have the Volvo Aux Light kit so I have the wiring and switch already installed; just need a decent set of lights and a plan on where to mount them. The Aux Light kit comes with mounting hardware for the front bumper, but that is NOT going to happen. LOL.

Any additional information about your installation is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow you guys are fun. I have done many modifications to this R as it is my third one so here are the reasons and process on the lights and other things. first the racks. in order to hold four racks (painted sonic blue) on the car two have to be facing rear and two front, two come off in the winter for ski racks I like to mount my normally used bikes rear facing so that I do not have bugs all over the front of them (or one of the reasons I drive a V (put them inside))
the lights, my last R I ran 55W HIDs in both low and high beam (2000 V70 R) but this new car had a stupid arrangement for lighting so I have been stuck with careful driving at night at any speed. We are buying a new truck and will be mounting some large lights on it so I decided to try out some LEDs on the volvo as a test. We put them up in the grill because the need to be high for a driving light, I had already tried HIDs in the fog lights and they did nothing, the eurospec was not worth the money as I like to put that money into HP. The grill was a perfect place as the horns are already blocking some of the wind to the coolers so we mounted them right infront of the horns. the look may be different but they are incredible bright. I have them as an accessory light with manual switching right now, very bright and instant on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
wow you guys are fun. I have done many modifications to this R as it is my third one so here are the reasons and process on the lights and other things. first the racks. in order to hold four racks (painted sonic blue) on the car two have to be facing rear and two front, two come off in the winter for ski racks I like to mount my normally used bikes rear facing so that I do not have bugs all over the front of them (or one of the reasons I drive a V (put them inside))
the lights, my last R I ran 55W HIDs in both low and high beam (2000 V70 R) but this new car had a stupid arrangement for lighting so I have been stuck with careful driving at night at any speed. We are buying a new truck and will be mounting some large lights on it so I decided to try out some LEDs on the volvo as a test. We put them up in the grill because the need to be high for a driving light, I had already tried HIDs in the fog lights and they did nothing, the eurospec was not worth the money as I like to put that money into HP. The grill was a perfect place as the horns are already blocking some of the wind to the coolers so we mounted them right infront of the horns. the look may be different but they are incredible bright. I have them as an accessory light with manual switching right now, very bright and instant on.
Did you go with the spot or flood pattern?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Well, I'm glad you're happy. I like DIY projects the best.

However it's not my style, it doesn't look finessed at all. If I was going this route, I probably would have mounted them behind the grille. If the grid pattern interfered too much you could cut out a + for each one, then the lights would at least look a little custom and smooth. There's another poster here with big ass rally lights behind his grille, it's also not my style but does look pretty nice.

Have you considering mounting the LEDs in the DRL location? You'd need a software fix to turn them off and probably have to do some simple custom fabrication, but that would be the really slick option.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they are driving beam and the depth of the light with cooling fins did not allow for mounting behind the grill. the DRL position would have taken too much effort and with a 127K miles on it already I did not care so much. kind of like the industrial look and the shop that put them in did a great job. I would rather put the money into a larger turbo down the line.

·
Registered
598 Posts
they are driving beam and the depth of the light with cooling fins did not allow for mounting behind the grill. the DRL position would have taken too much effort and with a 127K miles on it already I did not care so much. kind of like the industrial look and the shop that put them in did a great job. I would rather put the money into a larger turbo down the line.
I'm surprised that they won't fit behind the grill; they are less than 4 inches deep. Is it the horns that get in the way? And are you running these lights with the standard 12 V? Or did you have to do some funky electrical work to power them properly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they are about 3.5 deep, not enough room with the coolers to mount behind the grill and they only draw 1.9a @ 28w. you can barely see the HIDs when these are on, and they are so white they make the HIDs look yellow

·
Registered
598 Posts
they are about 3.5 deep, not enough room with the coolers to mount behind the grill and they only draw 1.9a @ 28w. you can barely see the HIDs when these are on, and they are so white they make the HIDs look yellow
Thanks. So simply connecting to the aux lighting power source should be fine then. I've never had my fromt bumper off but I had just assumed that there would be a bit of room in there. By "coolers" do you simply mean the fins on the back of the main casing or is there another piece that is not shown on their website? I so want to do this, I've been looking for a set of decent lights to mount as my aux lights for awhile now and these seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Have you had any issues with running them on the highway? I assume you only use them as 'brights' and turn them off when vehicle approach. Correct?
Thanks,
Jeff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts