SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking about picking up a third row for the vR, and it seems like most of them are tan. I know someone who has a tan third row kit for a good price, but it’d look ugly with mismatched tan panels in the back. Has anyone tried dyeing the interior carpets before? I may give it a shot, since black third row kits seem to be so expensive.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/d08ca314edf42dce3ead7f9dabd342ce.jpg

This is the part i’m talking about dying, just the pieces that face upwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
I haven't but would be interested in knowing what's involved. I have gobi interior and if I ever got decent carpet replacements from a V70 that weren't black and I wanted to dye them, it would be good to know that's an option.
My gobi is nice, but I've had interest in making it black like Travis did in his passion red S60R.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have a charcoal one for sale if you are interested. Was going to install in my V70R but decided against it.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I've tried dying charcoal to black on a test piece of Volvo carpet. Nothing works. Heat activated carpet dye, permanent marker, black stain, black shoe polish. Nada. Some seem to be water/cleaner resistant, but the abrasion resistance is low. Some come off when exposed to common cleaners.

I think it's just the nature of the polypropylene fibers used.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried dying charcoal to black on a test piece of Volvo carpet. Nothing works. Heat activated carpet dye, permanent marker, black stain, black shoe polish. Nada. Some seem to be water/cleaner resistant, but the abrasion resistance is low. Some come off when exposed to common cleaners.

I think it's just the nature of the polypropylene fibers used.
I’m hoping that since it’s Oak/tan it’ll take the dye better. I’m also probably going to let it sit for about 10-12 hours when I do dye it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used Rit dye to redo my Nordkap floor mats, and I’m happy with the results. You can vary the color dependent upon your “mix” so as to get a good match, and apply it using a spray bottle and a soft brush. Has been less than a year but seems to be holding up well. Certainly looks better than before 😏

1 - 9 of 9 Posts