SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone.

Looking for some assistance on my 2005 V70R.

The fuel gauge will drop out intermittently even when the tank is full. I've heard or read a few things about the Fuel floater in the gas tank.

Any other guidance or threads in here showing the repair?

Thanks

PJ
[email protected]

·
Registered
569 Posts
In case if it was ever disassembled before, then perhaps the wires aren't connected/seated correctly. Other than that you would need a new/used but working sender unit (which may not come without the pump from Volvo as new) . I would also check the pump duty cycle with VIDA at the same time and if its around/above 40% then acquire a new pump assembly with the sender unit together. With this option you would be able to tackle 2 problems at the same time.

The sender unit sits at the drivers side, the pump is at the passenger side under the rear seat. To remove the sender, you won't need to take out the rear seats, however for the pump, yes. To do this, remove the 2 bolts inside the trunk, under the carpet, then pull out the side cushions and then carefully release the the wire attached to the seat + remove the bolt. With this you can pull back the rear seats, making enough space to access to the pump.
After this, once the metal cover removed, you would either acquire a special tool from Volvo to release - unscrew the top part of the sender unit/pump unit or carefully remove it with a flat-headed screwdriver + hammer applying small punches + working on the inner side 'teeth' step by step. I'm saying carefully as it is plastic and with age the plastic becomes hard, then its easy to break these.

Do this job once you have a quarter of petrol left in the tank, otherwise you would need to suck out a good amount of petrol from the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts