SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So granted the comfort setting was great . . .forrest. After running the Saw Mill Parkway to the Taconic a few times now I was disappointed with the bump sway. I am still fresh on the m66 but the bounce ruined my confidence on the road. The switch to sport immediately brought:D the car down to manageable.

These roads are mountainous curvy,narrow and fast. Like coming down the hill from Reno on us80

I hate not owning the road and "comfort" was a trip. Since this is a new car for me should I stress the sway? Am I looking at a suspension overhaul? . . . Original parts 125k

Wondering if "comfort" is loose? My previous v70 R '98 was a lot tighter in the ass.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You are driving a wagon so the handling won't be terrific, but very nice for its class. The only time I run my SR in comfort mode is when I'm driving on the highway at 65+ and the roads are fairly straight. If you want thing more tight I would get some strut bars.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So granted the comfort setting was great . . .forrest. After running the Saw Mill Parkway to the Taconic a few times now I was disappointed with the bump sway. I am still fresh on the m66 but the bounce ruined my confidence on the road. The switch to sport immediately brought:D the car down to manageable.

These roads are mountainous curvy,narrow and fast. Like coming down the hill from Reno on us80

I hate not owning the road and "comfort" was a trip. Since this is a new car for me should I stress the sway? Am I looking at a suspension overhaul? . . . Original parts 125k

Wondering if "comfort" is loose? My previous v70 R '98 was a lot tighter in the ass.
"I hate not owning the road" What am I reading?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
even in the SR i dont find comfort to be a very confident setting in terms of handling. but this is probably why its called comfort mode, as it just floats over all the bumps. as soon as i switch to sport the car feels much tighter and goes exactly where i tell it to, with the sacrafice of a rougher ride.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Comfort mode sucks, even with a well set up R wagon with springs and sways, best not to use it except on fairly smooth roads

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
Yes, it is a joke, obviously not fitting for the Saw Mill.

The R already has a bump steer issue if not properly aligned and with the right kind of tires on it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I used comfort mode the other day when I brought my parents to the weschester airport, I took taconic to 84-684.. Ride was good on 84 but the other 2 I put it back on sport... I also run 235/45/17 much better ride then the 18s on those roads..

My mom and dad where like why does your station wagin feel like a sports car one minute and a Lincoln town car the next? I answered them technology baby technology:)

My mom and dad are old school Greeks and don't even know how to use a cell phone.. So they where like :eek: when I pushed buttons and the ride quality changed so much..

So I say if you got buttons push em, that's why you get em!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hmm I can run on the Parkway all day in comfort with out any real issue now. SR with iPd subframe inserts, upper strut braces, and iPd HD endlinks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
comfort setting, where we are going , we don't need no comfort setting

There is a comfort setting? Kidding. Never used it, except when certain family members were riding with me. Generally, I am in sport or better on both the V70R and S60R

·
Registered
501 Posts
Side topic, do these settings have an effect on strut durability?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Solution= don't use comfort

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I used comfort when my wife was 2 months pregnant and would get nauseous at the slightest bump in the road. That was it really though.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My 04 SR is very nice in Comfort mode; not as nice as sport but no complaint. Then again I'm getting 27.4 mpg regular driving on nice touring tires...:)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Why should the V70R handle much different than the S60R? Other than the wagon feeling a little better at top speed because of the better aerodynamics, I'd expect the handling to be very similar between the two.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Why should the V70R handle much different than the S60R? Other than the wagon feeling a little better at top speed because of the better aerodynamics, I'd expect the handling to be very similar between the two.
+1
I call shenanigans too. It shouldn't, not sure why some of these guys think otherwise. The suspension design and bushings along with drivetrain is identical between both cars. The only difference is the rear springs are of a higher spring rate, car is a tad heavier and with a slightly longer wheelbase. This doesn't really shouldn't translate to much difference.

Anyhow, this talk about comfort vs sport vs advanced. Comfort is comfort, don't expect the car to be a great handler in this mode.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts