SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title really, I'm afraid to say its beaten me.

I have a V70 / S60 r bumper ready to go on my 03 D5 yet I can't get it to fit.

I've got the bumper, the side trims and the long black plastic bracket to mount it yet when I go to fit it's almost as if the plastic bracket is too wide and there is about an inch gap all the way around the bumper so it won't go on.

Everything lines up I just can't get it so slide on that extra inch to close the gap.

What am I doing wrong, I'd appreciate any help or pearls of wisdom you have.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I can only pass along things I've heard here, so I won't be too much help, since I've never actually dealt with a bumper changeout.

Which bumper do you have? an S60R bumper or a V70R bumper. They ARE different. Going sedan to wagon and vice versa will cause complications.

In addition: is a US bumper going onto a Euro-spec car? Our 5-mph DOT certification requires different bumpers and most likely many things behind the plastic are probably much different.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can only pass along things I've heard here, so I won't be too much help, since I've never actually dealt with a bumper changeout.

Which bumper do you have? an S60R bumper or a V70R bumper. They ARE different. Going sedan to wagon and vice versa will cause complications.

In addition: is a US bumper going onto a Euro-spec car? Our 5-mph DOT certification requires different bumpers and most likely many things behind the plastic are probably much different.
S60R and V70R are the same bumper, i found that out when i did my front end conversion using an S60R bumper. the key piece to this conversion is part number 15 in the diagram below:

That part alone was all that was truly needed to allow the bumper to swap over. But it is a specific part for the bumper, so make sure you arnt getting one for a non R.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, it's part 15 on that diagram that is giving me the headache. It fits onto the bumper but is also the reason that it won't sit on the car properly, it's as if its too thick. I'm guessing that its the correct part that fits the R model but the one that I removed from my original standard D5 bumper doesn't fit either!

Any guidance you could give on the alternative part 15 would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking about this the bumper skin IS the same, that's a definite, the sticker on the bumper skin even reads 'S60 / V70 R'

Maybe part 15 is the specific part that allows the bumper fit to either a V70 or S60?

I'll be on the phone to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the bumper support could definitely differ between the two cars:

These are the part numbers for an S60 - S60R bumper swap

#86625613 (Qty. 1) - Rear Section
#86937133 (Qty. 1) - Support
#86629011 (Qty. 1) - Absorber
#39976863 (Qty. 1) - R Bumper Tow Cap

i would verify if that is a separate wagon part that differs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

What is the difference between the rear section and the support? Part 19 cant be changed as it's welded to the car isn't it?

Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks

What is the difference between the rear section and the support? Part 19 cant be changed as it's welded to the car isn't it?

Thanks for your advice
19 is a removable crossmember support. it can be removed and changed, but that is not needed on your car, and may cause other problems if you try that for the remainder of the front end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings from Ottawa Canada.
I just joined this forum and for some reason I can't see how this bumper conversion ended up for you. I have a 2001 V70 manual that I am trying to attain the R look with.
I have exactly the same issue with the 2005 R bumper that I purchased from a local wrecker....it stands proud of the bumper due to the inner plastic support 'frame' appearing to be too thick. The one on my bumper clearly can't be used as it's not even close to the same. Is it possible the wrecker sent me one from an S60? I will search the part numbers you've noted above. Also my grille is also clearly a different size, so I assume I need an R specific grille or do you know if the 2005 grille from a regular V70 will fit.
Thank you in advance for your guidance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts