SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

So I have a Volvo V70R 2004 that's totally stock except a "cold" air intake, 3" Feritta Downpipe and a 2,5" Simons catback. Before this car I had a Volvo S60 T6 AWD with a Polestar tune.

Ever since I bought the R I've felt that it is way slower than the S60 even though they should perform the same if you look at the spec sheets.
So yesterday I installed a boost gauge from IPD.. And I noticed that the car only boost to about ~10 PSI (0,6-0,7 bar) and doesn't reach 14-15 PSI (1,0-1,1 bar) until I hit about 5000 rpm.

What is usually the cause for this? The turbo itself is in good condition, I checked for shaft play when I installed the downpipe.. And I haven't noticed any boost leaks and the hoses seem fine!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Do you have an automatic or a manual transmission?

A lot of 04-05 automatic R owners have discovered that their Rs were "detuned" at the factory, i.e. their stock ecu software has a reduced maximum boost target of 10psi in all gears (all 04-05 automatic Rs are torque limited in gears 1 and 2, which means that you won't see sustained boost of higher than 10psi until gears 3 to 5).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a manual so sadly that is not the answer to my problem, but thank you!

I disconnected the TCV today and the car ran on low boost so it seems to be doing something although I guess I can't 100% rule it out?

It seems weird to me.. I've had cars that lose boost over the rev-range but never had a car that suddenly starts boosting at high rpms. So I doubt it's a leak aswell?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I’ve had a similar issue that I’ve been chasing for a couple hrs. Need to pressure test the intake system.

You might not be able to hear vac leaks when running, but you likely got a few small ones. Even some of the original factory connections with oetiker clamps leak eventually

1 - 4 of 4 Posts