SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Volvo Officianades,

I need some help !

Being a long admirer of Volvo performance cars I have been dreaming of having one for many years. This week one came up and I need some help as to whether or not I should be buying it or not.

It is a 1999 V70R AWD Laser Blue Automatic. It is a Phase 3 and has good ownership (nice guy who has owned if for a while) a full service history and 90k on the clock.

I am reading horror stories about the gearbox and AWD system, which is currently giving me a real problem. Had I not known of them I would not have thought twice.

My questions are:

1. Are all the gearboxes on the Phase 3 AWD V70R destined to fail ?

2. I have read somewhere that you should flush the gearbox atleast once a year and in some cases twice a year. Is this really necessary to get any life out of it as I have read that some places charge around 200 pounds for it.

3. I have no other concerns should I be checking anything else?

4. Are there a number of routine steps I can take to check the car for possible gearbox issues in order to eliminate the issue of buying a car with potential gearbox issues?

Plus any other advice you are willing to give. The cost of the car is 3200 pounds. Help is required asap as I have until Tuesday to decide.

·
Banned
63,535 Posts
It is a 1999 V70R AWD Laser Blue Automatic. It is a Phase 3 and has good ownership

NO PHASE 3 IN THE US.
F IT HAS THE 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION IT'S A 2000 (BUILT IN THE FALL OF 1999) TO THE REST OF THE WORLD.
YOU NEGLECTED TO MENTION THE MILEAGE

I am reading horror stories about the gearbox and AWD system, which is currently giving me a real problem.

PORTIONS OF THE AWD SYSTEM HAS TO BE REPLACED PERIODICALLY, EVERY 100K MILES OR SO, (PROPSHAFT, RESEALING THE BEVEL GEAR)

1. Are all the gearboxes on the Phase 3 AWD V70R destined to fail ?

FOR THE MOST PART, YES. IF THE FLUIDS WERE CHANGED REGULARLY STARTING AT 30K MILES, MAYBE NOT, BUT 99% HAVE NOT! NO ONE KNEW BACK THEN.
I WAS LUCKY, MINE WAS FLUSHED, STARTING AT 40K AND IT'S STILL THE ORIGINAL TRANNY :eek: AT 123K MILES BUT MOST START TO GIVE ISSUES BY THOSE MILES.

2. I have read somewhere that you should flush the gearbox at least once a year and in some cases twice a year.

READ ABOVE ANSWER

Is this really necessary to get any life out of it as I have read that some places charge around 200 pounds for it.

YES, BUT IF IT HASN'T UNTIL NO
W.....:rolleyes:

3. I have no other concerns should I be checking anything else?

PCV, IE: THE BREATHER SYSTEM. DO A SEARCH. THESE NEED A LOT OF OIL CHANGES WITH SYNTHETIC TO KEEP THEM RUNNING TIP TOP. THE VOLVO 5 CYLINDER IS BASICALLY A SLUDGE ENGINE SO THE BREATHER SYSTEM (expensive to replace) USUALLY NEEDS TO BE RENEWED EVERY 100K MILES OR SO.
IF THIS IS DEFERRED, THE SEALS BECOME CLOGGED AND THE OIL START TO PUSH OUT ANYWHERE AND IT CAN AND WILL DEVELOP MAJOR OIL LEAKS ...AND WORSE IF NOT CORRECTED. LIKE MY TRANSMISSION MY CAR HAD MOBIL 1 STARTING AT 30K THUS KEEPING THE SYSTEM CLEAN AND SO FAR 95% ORIGINAL WITH GOOD NEGATIVE PRESSURE

4. Are there a number of routine steps I can take to check the car for possible gearbox issues in order to eliminate the issue of buying a car with potential gearbox issues?

DRIVE IT FOR AT LEAST 45 MINUTES. SEE HOW IT SHIFTS COLD AND HOT. UP-SHIFT FLARES AND/OR CLUNKING ON DOWNSHIFTS FROM 3RD TO 2ND AND 2ND INTO 1ST GEARS. If IT'S NOT PERFECTLY SMOOTH 100% OF THE TIME...HOT OR COLD.... WALK AWAY NOW
Hope this helps you a bit.
You can always just remove the propshaft and run in FWD, this eliminates a ton of issues or potential issues.
However, if you can't do some of this work yourself, these are not the cheapest cars to maintain and have running at 100% all the time and if deferred can cause MAJOR ($$$$) issues down the line.

You posted in the wrong forum, post in the 1998-2000 FWD/AWD forum for answers

·
Banned
63,535 Posts
I think I've bought and sold more of this generation than any other Volvo, much less any car.
The interesting thing is when I think I've seen it and had it all, (problems), a new one always seems to crop up! :facepalm: :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts