SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '04 V70R for about two weeks now. It just turned 69K miles.

I dig it (of course), but the mechanical operation of the AWD system has me thinking something may be amiss.

As I understand it, the car is 95% front-wheel bias until the wheels start to slip, then it transfers torque to the rear wheels as needed, up to 50%. Please, stop me and correct me if I am wrong at any time.

There is a little bit of a vibe through the driveline that I feel in the shift lever in certain gears at certain speeds. It's not major, but not what I would call super smooth.

But last night we had some cold rain, probably in the low 40s. I decided to punch it coming off the exit ramp toward home to see how it handled actual slippery roads. The front tires seemed to spin a bit before the car started going forward. It was not a particularly long period of time, a fraction of a second, but they definitely spun. And there was also some wheel hop.

Is this normal? Or should it be more seemless than that?

The car currently wears Michelin Pilot All-Season tires, which are decent in the rain. I have been through a few sets of Pilot Sports on other cars, which probably would have spun all day, but there are plenty of grooves and a few sipes on the A/S tires. Also, in dry weather, I can feel the torque steer on the front as well when accelerating hard.

I tried it a few more times, just to see how long it took for the DSTC to kick in, which it did in a curve. I have a lot of experience with BMWs, including some wheel-time in AWD Bummers, the latest iteration of which tries to solve problems mechanically before going the electronic route. I also suspect that the Haldex system is also programmed that way as well.

Please, chime in on how your SR or VR handles such situations.

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
04's will allow the fronts to spin 1/7th (IIRC) of a turn before power is diverted to the rears, later years has pre-charged haldex systems that would transfer power immediately

Sounds normal to me

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
My 04 doesn't do that, I raced my friend's fwd S80 in the rain at a stoplight and the AWD was instant, I also was in advanced mode and dstc in reduced mode.

I can see the AWD taking longer to respond if you're in sport of comfort modes, but I notice zero wheel spin in the rain in advanced mode gunning it from a stop with dstc reduced or off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
04's will allow the fronts to spin 1/7th (IIRC) of a turn before power is diverted to the rears, later years has pre-charged haldex systems that would transfer power immediately

Sounds normal to me
Well, it's certainly seems like more than 1/7th of a turn.

I will get it up on a lift in the coming weeks to see what's going on underneath, such as the appropriate parts spinning or not.

Does your car exhibit torque steer through the front wheels when accelerating?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My 04 doesn't do that, I raced my friend's fwd S80 in the rain at a stoplight and the AWD was instant, I also was in advanced mode and dstc in reduced mode.

I can see the AWD taking longer to respond if you're in sport of comfort modes, but I notice zero wheel spin in the rain in advanced mode gunning it from a stop with dstc reduced or off.
Good point. I will try it in advanced mode with DSTC off to see if that changes things.

I almost hate to admit it, but I actually dig the adjustable suspension. Advanced mode hammers you around here when you are just putting along to work or whatnot. Comfort mode makes it that much more livable.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Are your awd even working? I can get my rear swing out in rain. never had one one wheel pair even on snow, the rear engage directly even in comfort.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Well, it's certainly seems like more than 1/7th of a turn.

I will get it up on a lift in the coming weeks to see what's going on underneath, such as the appropriate parts spinning or not.

Does your car exhibit torque steer through the front wheels when accelerating?
No no torque steer, if you have torque steer you are in FWD mode

·
Registered
4,272 Posts

All R's before 2006 do that, search "pre-charged Haldex" or look at attached link

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/volvo2006usa/models/2006_R/whatsnew.htm

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sounds like you have a fwd R

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently got my awd fixed lucky it was only the collar sleeve but before I got it fixed noticed a lot of torque steer and my front tires would also spin for a little before I could gain traction.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've had my SR for just over a year, I find the AWD system very temperamental. Sometimes grips sometimes doesn't.....I learned to live with it

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Haven't noticed so much as a partial slip of the front wheels in more than 50,000 km in my '07 (gen IV Haldex?) In contrast, driving our '02 S60 AWD (gen I?) on wet leaves last week, it seems I had to spin the front tires at least a couple of revolutions before the rears hooked up.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I disagree
I know how they feel if the AWD is not working and it will yank the wheel right out of your hands in a first gear full throttle shot.
Under those conditions you may get a split second "tweak" of the wheel but that's it if everything is nominal
If you're getting more torque steer than that you need to look at several things (Haldex pressure sensor, tires, ALIGNMENT, etc)

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Op mentioned "wheel hop" which to me means no way is your AWD working, it takes a lot of excess front-wheel spin to get hop (I know, I had an S60 T5 for a few years).

·
Registered
691 Posts
This seems more like a awd posting then what the post actually states...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No no torque steer, if you have torque steer you are in FWD mode
Well, then, that's just jolly news. Time to dig deeper. There is definitely torque steer. Not ridiculous, wheel-jerking Mini Cooper S JCW torque steer, but you can feel it through the wheel.

I should have it on a lift in a week or two so I can dig deeper.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Op mentioned "wheel hop" which to me means no way is your AWD working, it takes a lot of excess front-wheel spin to get hop (I know, I had an S60 T5 for a few years).
More good news. ;>(

Thanks, everyone, even with the news I didn't want to hear for chiming in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts