SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post and I'm asking for help to troubleshoot why it retards ignition under load. Some initial info:
- Stage 1 and 2 from Hilton
- new OEM plugs
- engine mounts seem OK
- No DTC codes
- replaced stock IC with bigger fmic
- IPD catback

Where do I start with troubleshooting the issue? Should I first "downgrade" to the stock ECU map and take it from there?

I would appreciate any help on this.

/Jakub

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Jakub, is it a custom tune to all you mods at the time of your mods with logging involved going back and forth with adjustments or a box tune just with list of mods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for trying to help. So here is the graph from my first pull (Stage 1), 3rd and 4th gear, WOT. Boost pressure in blue (left y axis), retardation (right y axis)

The tune is not a "box" - the car was flashed with software provided by Hilton (I hope I understood what you meant correctly). It was not made custom to my hardware setup as far as I know. The only 'custom' part is the idle revs left at a factory value.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Flashing or datalogging with CFE active will cause issues. One guy sought me out after his car was bricked when he flashed a Hilton stage 2 for this very reason and Hilton wasn't responding to emails.

Took a while to figure out and the dude had the CFE plugged into to rear of the car by the a RTI.

Can you get some logs with the CFE unplugged?

And if it was Hilton stage two they are all box tunes pretty much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've looked these logs. They're useless from a tuning perspective.

You need record wide open throttle pulls from 2k to max rpm. 3rd gear normally.

These don't say much at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've looked these logs. They're useless from a tuning perspective.

You need record wide open throttle pulls from 2k to max rpm. 3rd gear normally.

These don't say much at all.
I will do the log as you described it and post it again. CFE disconnected Thais time! Thank you for your willingness to help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hate to break it to you mate but the boost curve looks atrocious. Not kidding it's shocking in my opinion.

Also yes knock is through the roof to the point I'd say you were in ATDC at higher rpm.

Your logger definition isn't very good and only provides half the data I'd need to give you feedback.

Sorry man. I'm calling hardware at fault but the tune looks poor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. This is the the only logging tool I have that was provided to me.

Could you elaborate a little about the boost curve? What should it look like and why is it so bad?

When you say “hardware at fault” do you mean I have a mechanical problem of some kind? If so, what should I start with to troubleshoot it?

Would it be if any help if I did a log on a stock ECU map to compare? Maybe I wasn’t Stage0 in the first place?

Thanks for trying to help anyway

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Where are you located? If feasible I’d have Stevo tune it. I’ve seen some pretty horrible Hilton tunes. Like stock K24 and just a downpipe and over 23 psi. In my experience it’s really rare to see an awesome running Hilton tuned car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where are you located? If feasible I’d have Stevo tune it. I’ve seen some pretty horrible Hilton tunes. Like stock K24 and just a downpipe and over 23 psi. In my experience it’s really rare to see an awesome running Hilton tuned car.
Quite a distance away, Poland.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the timing adjusted. It's much better (in terms of ignition retardation) but I don't know how much power was lost in the process. I don't feel much difference.

Here is a log made after the timing adjustment (3-4gear, wot, ambient temp 21C): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LBbeFB6izo8sw0frSt6mPew7rdLhL-n7
Graph: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/161xZXUxqk_AkxuXjy9pl3KkXiIU0eCdGjzlxap-OB-Y/edit?usp=sharing

With the raise of IAT, it starts pulling timing... this is normal I hope. Interestingly cylinder 2 doesn't retard ignition throughout the entire pull.

Would it be worth checking compression on all cylinders? - maybe this is the reason?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Sorry man. I'm calling hardware at fault but the tune looks poor.
true, but it goes for both tuners...especially when it gets for them to tune more complicated /custom tunes... they are definitely top notch but not when it comes to higher lever stage tuning .

·
Registered
296 Posts
Chiming in. What octane fuel are you running? You should be minimum 93 for gas especially boosting into the 20 psi range. E85 different story. High boost equals high heat. Ambient temps at 70 and above when pulling hard or repeatedly equals major timing pull. Keep beating it in those conditions without correcting your IATS, Meth injection etc. will equal melted pistons.

There are so many variables when you begin pushing engines harder than they were designed to do. Just because a car isn’t running as you’d expect it to after a tune doesn’t necessarily mean that the tune is junk. Pieces to the puzzle are too numerous for any one or two of these forums or chats to suss out.

The tune is telling the ECM what to do based on feedback from a multitude of sensors throughout the vehicle. Those sensors are working in conjunction with, you guessed it, a multitude of mechanical parts all working at various levels of efficiency depending on age, abuse etc. and the quality of those parts and sensors to begin with.

Point is, there are more factors involved when timing is being pulled than , oh it’s the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chiming in. What octane fuel are you running? You should be minimum 93 for gas especially boosting into the 20 psi range. E85 different story. High boost equals high heat. Ambient temps at 70 and above when pulling hard or repeatedly equals major timing pull. Keep beating it in those conditions without correcting your IATS, Meth injection etc. will equal melted pistons.[...]
Sorry for not checking in and thank you for your input. I'm running 95 Octane, recently switched to 98 (RON) to see if it makes a difference. I didn't log anything however because the logger's licence expired, so I have no login tool other than VIDA, which doesn't show ignition retar
If I find a way to log again, I will surely post it here.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm running 95 Octane, recently switched to 98 (RON) to see if it makes a difference.
You should always always always be running premium, even in a stock R. Running Plus/Regular in a tuned R making that much boost sounds like a recipe for pre-detonation city.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts