SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which car is bigger? Particularly as a kid carrier. I have to have the driver seat all the way back to be comfortable in my S60 and I can't get a child seat behind me. I'm hoping the V70 is better (it has more room in the back), but I'm wondering if the Passat is even bigger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: V70 vs. Passat (Freeworld)

On my experience, V70 is much bigger and comfortable for a family with kids. The back of a V70 is more roomy than a S60. My father's Passat ( sedan ) is quite uncomfortable in the back - There is no room below the seats for the feet and your knees will knock your back-. Even I believe is more narrow than the V70. The seat quality of Volvos is superb against the Passat ones. I usually carry my wife, myself ( 1.95 mt tall 100 kg ) and four kids 6, 11, 14 and 16 years ( the last nearly like me ) in an acceptable way. On top, if you pull the V70 driver's seat front, you are still able to drive in a comfortable way , while I couldn´t find any alternative driving position with the Passat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: V70 vs. Passat (pancho)

I went from a '99 Passat wagon to '02 v70 t5. v70 is roomier, you can get the built-in boosters in the back seats, and optional 3rd row.<p>I did find the Passat seats very good - the Volvo (sport seats, anyway) are better.<p>YMMV,<p>Harry J

·
Registered
78 Posts

Haven't sat in the back of the new Passat wagons yet, but the V70 wins the space race againt the B5 and 5.5 Passats hands down. Those two had barely more than a Jetta wagon back there, and that was not much to begin with.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Freeworld,<p>I am 6'5" and legroom is a big issue for me. I can't comment on the Passat, but I can tell you that we have a rear-facing Britax Marathon (which is a rather large seat) in the center-rear position and I can still push the driver's seat as far back as it will go. <p>Regarding VW in general: I had a VW GTI before we bought the v70. I can tell you that by and large, VW's service centers in the DC area are terrible.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: V70 vs. Passat (rjturkel)

Thanks. This is all good news. Maybe I should take our Graco seat with me just to make sure, but it sounds like it should fit behind me just fine. I think my wife would prefer the Volvo to the Passat anyway.<p>As for VW service, I think the local (to Potomac) VW dealer is co-resident with the Volvo dealer. I was not impressed with Volvo service there so I can't imagine the VW part is any better. For that matter I've been unimpressed with Volvo service anywhere in the DC metro area. My dad has a Lincoln, and much as I wouldn't drive one, their service department is incredibly good and takes such good care of their customers.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I am 6'3", my wife is 5'7" and we have 3 kids. We have a 2002 V70 and a 2001 VW Passat. We have 2 car seats, the COSCO Alpha-Omega which a 3-stage car seats right up to 80 pounds.<p>We have had them in both cars and find that the V70 does have more room behind the front seats. I have my seat all the way back in both cars.<p>Kids will be kids and they will put their feet up on the backs of the seats but the leather is easy to clean.<p>Having said that, their is still room in the Passat and we have been on long trips (4-hour drives) in both cars comfortably. The V70 has more width for our oldest between the two car seats than in the Passat and with the 3rd row seat in the V70 (for 2 children up to 80 pounds), we have more options.<p>Hope this helps.<br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts