SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 Questions:

Anybody know if the V70 square-profile receiver hitch is 2" or 1 1/4"

Anybody know of a good aftermarket 2" model?

Anyone install the V70 hitch on their own? (I saw another thread, but it looks like it's dead with no pics/info).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (Boston Parts and Mk1Racer)

John - Thanks. How much is involved in putting the hitch in? My dealer says 4hrs labor, which makes it pretty prohibitive for my wallet. I don't have a problem removing/replacing the bumper, though I get a bit apprehensive about cutting holes in it.

Mk1Racer - Thanks, but it's a 1 1/4" receiver hitch. I'm trying to find a 2" hitch receiver because it opens up the availability for accessories.

Probably will continue to use my rooftop options.

Thanks all again.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (greek2us)

Quote »
Item Details

Curt Class 2 trailer hitches are custom fitted to your vehicle for easier installation. square tube hitch receiver opening is 2 inches.s hitch will support up to 3,500 pounds of maximum gross trailer weight, 350 pounds of maximum tongue. Weight distribution systems are not available with Class 2 hitches.

Class 2 trailer hitches come with a ball mount and pin and clip. Hitch ball shank diameter is 3/4 inches. All that is left is for you to pick up a hitch ball and you will be towing in no time.

·
Registered
174 Posts

I have also been looking for a hitch with a 2" opening. All the aftermarket hitches (I have used Hidden Hitch in the past) provide a 1.25" opening for a Class II hitch. I have heard that the Volvo hitch has a 2" receiver but I haven't seen one installed. One option is to buy a 1.25" to 2" adapter. I think this must be a typo in the text portion for this hitch and the spec page has the correct size. Like I said I have looked high and low for a 2" receiver hitch for my XC70 and have struck out. I will be interested to see if you fare any better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (Jackson58)

I installed this Hidden Hitch model from eTrailer.com -- took less than an hour:

http://www.etrailer.com/produc...5&h=e

Got an email from them two days ago that offers an extra 5% off and $0.99 shipping on orders over $150.

You are invited to save. Enjoy 5% off everything at etrailer.com and 99¢ shipping on orders over $150.00

Discount Code XJJB7 saves you an extra 5%.

Both models that eTrailer sells are 1 1/4". So far the only 2" model I've seen is the OEM. You can't (or shouldn't) tow more than 3,500 lbs. so a class II should be more than enough. Mostly I just wanted extra bike rack space so mine isn't even wired yet.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (jackf)

Thanks for the code - I may use it - still looking at other options.

The bike rack I'd like to use is the type that swings out of the way, and requires a 2" receiver. An adaptor may work, but I wonder about the stability.

I just can't see doling out $750+ for a trailer hitch, then $270 for the rack.

I may just continue to go with the Yakima system on top that I've got on my other car. Not too bad with a bike bra, but it does cut down MPG a bit.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Sorry, I had forgotten that you were looking for a 2" receiver, and I understand your reasoning. Usually I use my Volvo/Thule square bars and Thule bike racks. The swing-away, hitch mounted, racks ARE pretty sweet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
>>Reese Towpower Trailer Hitch
Volvo Xc70 Trailer Hitch

Fits: 2003 to 2005 Volvo Xc70
Brand: Reese Towpower
Notes: Class II; Custom Fit Insta-Hitch; Trailer Hitch; 3500 lb. Gross Trailer Weight; 350 lb. Tongue Weight; Install Time 15 min.; Exhaust Must Be Temporarily Lowered For Installation Station Wagon<<

·
Registered
784 Posts
Re: (16vt)

I just checked on the Curt hitch from trailerhitches.com and it is indeed a 1 1/4" receiver. There's does come w/ a ball mount, and a clevis pin, so all you have to do is buy a ball w/ a 3/4" shank. I've been looking at a pop-up camper, and this would work great for towing that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah after I posted I went back and reread the site, it's worded in a way that's a little deceiving, esp if you "want it" to read a certain way. To add to that I was ASSuming that the higher tounge weight was indicitive of the lager receiver.

FWIW I had a hitch installed today for $304 outt he door, that included everything from the car tot he ball. I'm planning on getting the adapter for 2" accescories.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.