SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 Questions:<p>Anybody know if the V70 square-profile receiver hitch is 2" or 1 1/4"<p>Anybody know of a good aftermarket 2" model?<p>Anyone install the V70 hitch on their own? (I saw another thread, but it looks like it's dead with no pics/info).<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (Parts @ Boston Volvo)

Saw this at trailerhitches.com<p><br><A HREF="http://www.trailerhitches.com/trailer-hitches/products.cfm?action=view&key=CTM187" TARGET="_blank">http://www.trailerhitches.com/...TM187</A><p>

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (Mk1Racer)

Is there modifications that need to be done to the lower bumper cover? It seems that it may need to be cut in the center, or is there a replacement piece with a notch in it already?<br>-Ben

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (Boston Parts and Mk1Racer)

John - Thanks. How much is involved in putting the hitch in? My dealer says 4hrs labor, which makes it pretty prohibitive for my wallet. I don't have a problem removing/replacing the bumper, though I get a bit apprehensive about cutting holes in it.<p>Mk1Racer - Thanks, but it's a 1 1/4" receiver hitch. I'm trying to find a 2" hitch receiver because it opens up the availability for accessories.<p>Probably will continue to use my rooftop options.<p>Thanks all again.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (greek2us)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Item Details<p><br>Curt Class 2 trailer hitches are custom fitted to your vehicle for easier installation. <b> square tube hitch receiver opening is 2 inches.</b>s hitch will support up to 3,500 pounds of maximum gross trailer weight, 350 pounds of maximum tongue. Weight distribution systems are not available with Class 2 hitches.<p>Class 2 trailer hitches come with a ball mount and pin and clip. Hitch ball shank diameter is 3/4 inches. All that is left is for you to pick up a hitch ball and you will be towing in no time. <br></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (Mk1Racer)

Wierd that below that text, it has a specs column that says "Hitch Opening: 1.25 inches "<p>I'll give them a call and ask which is correct.<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts

I have also been looking for a hitch with a 2" opening. All the aftermarket hitches (I have used Hidden Hitch in the past) provide a 1.25" opening for a Class II hitch. I have heard that the Volvo hitch has a 2" receiver but I haven't seen one installed. One option is to buy a 1.25" to 2" adapter. I think this must be a typo in the text portion for this hitch and the spec page has the correct size. Like I said I have looked high and low for a 2" receiver hitch for my XC70 and have struck out. I will be interested to see if you fare any better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (Jackson58)

I installed this Hidden Hitch model from eTrailer.com -- took less than an hour:<p><A HREF="http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=90804&vehicleid=6926&yearfrom=2005&h=e" TARGET="_blank">http://www.etrailer.com/produc...5&h=e</A><p>Got an email from them two days ago that offers an extra 5% off and $0.99 shipping on orders over $150.<p><I>You are invited to save. Enjoy 5% off everything at etrailer.com and 99¢ shipping on orders over $150.00 <p>Discount Code XJJB7 saves you an extra 5%. </I><p>Both models that eTrailer sells are 1 1/4". So far the only 2" model I've seen is the OEM. You can't (or shouldn't) tow more than 3,500 lbs. so a class II should be more than enough. Mostly I just wanted extra bike rack space so mine isn't even wired yet.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: V70 Trailer Hitch Specs (jackf)

Thanks for the code - I may use it - still looking at other options.<p>The bike rack I'd like to use is the type that swings out of the way, and requires a 2" receiver. An adaptor may work, but I wonder about the stability.<p>I just can't see doling out $750+ for a trailer hitch, then $270 for the rack.<p>I may just continue to go with the Yakima system on top that I've got on my other car. Not too bad with a bike bra, but it does cut down MPG a bit.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Sorry, I had forgotten that you were looking for a 2" receiver, and I understand your reasoning. Usually I use my Volvo/Thule square bars and Thule bike racks. The swing-away, hitch mounted, racks ARE pretty sweet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
>>Reese Towpower Trailer Hitch<br>Volvo Xc70 Trailer Hitch<p>Fits: 2003 to 2005 Volvo Xc70 <br>Brand: Reese Towpower<br>Notes: Class II; Custom Fit Insta-Hitch; Trailer Hitch; 3500 lb. Gross Trailer Weight; 350 lb. Tongue Weight; Install Time 15 min.; Exhaust Must Be Temporarily Lowered For Installation Station Wagon<<

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: (16vt)

I just checked on the Curt hitch from trailerhitches.com and it is indeed a 1 1/4" receiver. There's does come w/ a ball mount, and a clevis pin, so all you have to do is buy a ball w/ a 3/4" shank. I've been looking at a pop-up camper, and this would work great for towing that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah after I posted I went back and reread the site, it's worded in a way that's a little deceiving, esp if you "want it" to read a certain way. To add to that I was ASSuming that the higher tounge weight was indicitive of the lager receiver.<p>FWIW I had a hitch installed today for $304 outt he door, that included everything from the car tot he ball. I'm planning on getting the adapter for 2" accescories.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts