SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
what are you talking about?<P>Are you buying a new V70 T5? or are you buying the wheel's off the T5? or is there no correlation between the new T5's and your 98 R?<P>I'm lost. If you calculate tire size to match overall mph,,then go for it. You shouldn't rub unless you dropped the car. The AWD has a little more ground clearance anyway.<P>Tony<P>98 V70 T5M

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by petew:<BR><B>I wasn't sure about the tire size...looking at the new V70 T5s I see a 235 45 17 but that's not quite a good match for the 205 55 16 that came "stock" on my '98 R...<P>...are the "new" V70s bigger in the wheel wells?<P>(i guess i don't have to tell you guys that not a single person at the dealership has a clue)<P>and Tire Rack doesn't know either...they suggest a 215 45 17 but it doesn't have "91" load rating of the origional tires nor does it have the same circumference/diameter...<P>I calculate that I can fit a 225/45/17 on my Volvo Comet rims (17/7.5") and they will be within an RPM or tenth of an inch diameter of "stock", and I'll be happy not to hear/see "there's the rub" on my '98 V70R...worried because they are "fat".<P>anyone got a problem with that?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>There is no relationship between your V70 and the newer V70s. Absolutely none. So, you should not make any comparisons.<P>Yannis<BR><P>

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do what I did .I have a 1997 850 and just got a set of 17"x7 Voxs and didn't want to go with a 205/45/17.<P> Go to your local Sears auto store with a BIG SMILE on our face and $$tip money$$. Also make sure that they are not busy. <P> For $12.00 extra in tips I had the guys there give me a free alginment,free chrome value stems,and tried two different sets of tires to see how they fit!!! I went with a set of 215/50/17 and yes they do rub but only in very tight turns. <P> Remember that these guys get treated like crap 80% of the time. Talk to the the guys doing the work, tell them if they take care of you that you will do the same. I bet they will let you put on a set of 225/17 or any other size you want.<P>

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am running the 225s on an OZ Volcano 17 * 8 wheel, they do NOT rub at all. Granted they do bend pretty damn easily!!<P>

·
Registered
24 Posts
The exahust is great. Not so much that it is from IPD, I think the stock 99 dual exhaust would have worked nicely as well, but that I get rid of the other knock out below the bumper. Honestly, the sound bothers my wife which pleases me because she won't drive my car. I think every cloud has a silver lining. The bad is that the damn things bounce all over the place, every good bump on the highway or in town and bam they hit underneath. I asked IPD for help and they said they were installed incorrectly, wrong. Try again. They were no real help. My mechanic came up with a couple ideas, or at least something better than shoving something between the muffler and the bottom of the car. It was simple and low tech, and I left it some where on the Saw Mill River Parkway. I will keep you posted as to his ideas.<P>

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
I am running 225/45 17s on my S70 and they rub on the inside on hard turns.<P><P>

·
Registered
305 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phs3:<BR><B>The exahust is great. Not so much that it is from IPD, I think the stock 99 dual exhaust would have worked nicely as well, but that I get rid of the other knock out below the bumper. Honestly, the sound bothers my wife which pleases me because she won't drive my car. I think every cloud has a silver lining. The bad is that the damn things bounce all over the place, every good bump on the highway or in town and bam they hit underneath. I asked IPD for help and they said they were installed incorrectly, wrong. Try again. They were no real help. My mechanic came up with a couple ideas, or at least something better than shoving something between the muffler and the bottom of the car. It was simple and low tech, and I left it some where on the Saw Mill River Parkway. I will keep you posted as to his ideas.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So are the IPD mufflers closer to the underside of the car than the stock mufflers? Or is the IPD exhaust heavier than the stock exhaust making the rubber hangers stretch and making the mufflers bounce around more?<P>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deleonl1:<BR><B> So are the IPD mufflers closer to the underside of the car than the stock mufflers? Or is the IPD exhaust heavier than the stock exhaust making the rubber hangers stretch and making the mufflers bounce around more?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I had IPD's "sport" exhaust installed on my 2000 S70 GLT. It rattled at first, so the mechanic bent the rings those rubber hangers attach to to better align the exhaust. No more rattle. However, the tip comes out of the bumper cutout a little off center.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts