SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 08 V70 T6 - I know its a bit of an oddity, but, hey, that's the Aussie market for ya! Its just been diagnosed with an iffy rear diff, which is a bit annoying as its not quite 8 years old, and only has 130,000km on the clock. The rumbling/droning/whining noise I took to be a wheel bearing was confirmed as the diff by getting up on a ramp and giving the propshaft a good wiggle and jiggle, and there's a bit of free play, certainly more than there should be.

What I'm trying to find out is if this is a common occurrance on these cars. I'm a bit new to Volvo, and was kind of expecting a bit more than 130Kkm from something like this. I think the car has been used for towing, by the first owner - the second, whom I bought it from, was adamant he hadn't towed - but that was 80,000km and five years ago.

Regardless, I've still got to source a replacement, which will be a bit of fun, no doubt! Can't use the XC70T6 diff as its a different ratio, and i'm not sure what Euro markets got this model. There aren't many in Aus.

Any thoughts, pointers, ideas welcome!

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
First time I've heard of a problem with one. Remember, most of the torque goes to the front wheels, even with the AWD.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not too familiar w/ the specifics on this model although before I replaced the Rear Diff, I'd drain the fluid through a paint filter, look it over well and if the drain plug has a magnet attached, look for debris. Check the R&P for galling, blue coloring and sharp edges to determine if there's an issue.
Good luck,
Motoretro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First time I've heard of a problem with one. Remember, most of the torque goes to the front wheels, even with the AWD.
That's what I thought - its an 'on-demand' system, rather than full-time AWD. Anyway, can't see that an oil change or arsing around is going to change the situation - there's play in the propshaft movement, and a rumble/whine from the rear diff area. No signs of any leaks.

Have found a used replacement - its off an 09 T6 with 58,000km on the clock, which doesn't sound too bad, but its still AU$1600. Am trying to find one elsewhere, or see if I can get this one reconditioned. The car's not really endeared itself to me in the 3-4 months I've had it, and this ain't helping its case!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rear Diff / Haldex

Good Morning,

Pomswede, you are not alone with this problem.
unfortunately my V70 (D5 AWD) seems to have the same problem. I brought my Volvo in for service because I had a humming noise. They figured out that either the differential (3.200 €) or the Haldex Cluth (3800€) have to be substituted.
I'm a Volvo driver for 15 years now and I'm very deluded with this problem at only 130.000 km. All service inspections had ben regularly done.

The mechanic told me that this seems to be a common AWD problem.
So actually i don't know what to do: get it repaired with an used part (if i can find any), get it repaired with a new part...

Best regards from North Italy,
Günther

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
gpichler/Günther: you can't possibly mean €3800 or €3200 for a differential, right? That's 35k SEK/30k SEK respectively or $4250/3600. I know the parts alone are expensive and some hours of labour on top of that adds up but there's no way it's that much. If it is then you're either getting ripped off, or, which I'm guessing, the number's off... somehow...

I've heard figures of around 10k SEK for similar jobs, not sure if that was including labor. Figure a third of the prices your mentioned, give or take (probably give though).

May I ask what model year your Volvo was though? And whether you served the car at a Volvo "authorized" shop (Volvo affiliate, not sure how it works exactly) or just a generic mechanic that isn't specialized? I have heard of these failures before. My car has just passed 10k km and has a full "Volvo" service history but I just realized the differential control is just a control of whether or not the part is leaking. 99% certain they don't actually check the level of the fluid. Maybe I should look that up for myself...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Schmoyoho,

thank you for you reply. Unfortunately the price of the parts is that high, here an online price:

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Final-drive--exch/9957235/36001740.html

i also found used differentials online, but their prices are too high to have any benefit.
the shop i'm going to is the official Volvo mechanic in our county, so i think i'm being ripped off officially by Volvo itself...

edit: sorry I totally forgot: mine is a V70 AWD 2008 D5 (185HP).

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Well if it's any help I could run down the part number in VIDA later and see what cars and model years it was fitted to if that makes any difference. I ran the two part numbers from your link through a Swedish salvage yard site (lots of salvage yards index old used parts) and I got a bunch of hits both regular used ones and refurbished/renovated ones.

Some of them weren't priced but the ones that were ranged from $1340 to about $2100 so that's 50-60% of the retail price.

On another note: Was your car serviced at that Volvo mechanic or at a 3rd party shop? Did you have any grinding or whirring before the failure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you for your effort! i never had my car at any other shop than Volvos official. i think i'll stick to the original replacement part, so at least i'll get a one year warranty on it.
today i was called from Volvo Italy for this matter (i wrote them an email explaining how deluded i am). Tomorrow they'll communicate with my Volvo shop and then we'll see if they can do any god for me.

fingers crossed! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just peeked into this thread to see if anyone else has a problem...

The prices being banded around seem about right from what I've been able to find out. There's not much in the way of info over here, so I'm relying on what else is out there in other countries. I haven't contact Volvo direct as with it being nearly 8 years old and not serviced at a Volvo dealer, I can't imagine they'd be interested. I'll probably stick it out until early 2016 then, when I can find some cash, get it sorted with whatever's available, and then move it on. I've never had a car with a diff problem before, and I've had a few AWD and RWD.

·
Registered
99 Posts
landrover uses the same rear diff, engine and trans on their lr2 and the bearing for the diff is avlable from any rover dealer. volvo does no sell just bearing.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
landrover uses the same rear diff, engine and trans on their lr2 and the bearing for the diff is avlable from any rover dealer. volvo does no sell just bearing.
Yes, and they rebuild them as well. My shop has sent a couple rear diffs for rebuild over to Land Rover and we reinstall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, and they rebuild them as well. My shop has sent a couple rear diffs for rebuild over to Land Rover and we reinstall.
Interesting - from this info, and the link to the volvo parts shop a few posts up, it seems that there are quite a few models using the same rear diff - T6, D5, 3.2 and S/V/XC 60/70/80. Does this sound right?? If so, then I've a few more models to aim at which should help the search...

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I've got an 08 V70 T6 - I know its a bit of an oddity, but, hey, that's the Aussie market for ya! Its just been diagnosed with an iffy rear diff, which is a bit annoying as its not quite 8 years old, and only has 130,000km on the clock. The rumbling/droning/whining noise I took to be a wheel bearing was confirmed as the diff by getting up on a ramp and giving the propshaft a good wiggle and jiggle, and there's a bit of free play, certainly more than there should be.

What I'm trying to find out is if this is a common occurrance on these cars. I'm a bit new to Volvo, and was kind of expecting a bit more than 130Kkm from something like this. I think the car has been used for towing, by the first owner - the second, whom I bought it from, was adamant he hadn't towed - but that was 80,000km and five years ago.

Regardless, I've still got to source a replacement, which will be a bit of fun, no doubt! Can't use the XC70T6 diff as its a different ratio, and i'm not sure what Euro markets got this model. There aren't many in Aus.

Any thoughts, pointers, ideas welcome!
Does it sound like this?
(Recorded with a Go Pro and external stereo condenser microphone mounted in the rear seat facing the rear of the wagon.)

If so, then it's noise internal to the rear differential. (Not Haldex).

I was fortunate to have CPO coverage pay for mine. Would have been about 4000+ USD out of pocket at a dealer otherwise. I might have just lived with it. It wasn't getting louder quickly, even the radio at a moderate volume covered it up completely. Or, just driving 75MPH+ generates enough wind/tire noise to drown the diff... mine was really only audible in the speeds you see in the video.

The dealer service manager said it is a rare failure, however becoming a bit less rare as more cars get up to high miles. Was about 78k on ours when the noise was this bad.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Did you ever get your issue fixed? If so, where abouts did you get it fixed?
I supply rebuilt differentials that come with lifetime warranties, but I had someone ask me for a freight quote from New Zealand once, and calculating numbers the cost of freight was prohibitive. I don't know what the shop ended up doing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts