SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
781 Posts
Re:

I also "upgraded" to the leather knob when my shift boot began to rip. It was something like $20 more than the plastic knob.

This is the a '98 leather knob. It has an inset shift pattern rather than an embossed pattern. I remember looking at a C70 with the embossed knob at my dealer but it was at least a '99 or '00 and maybe later.

Below is my old plastic shift knob and the boot.

The "collar" is cast as part of the knob.

· Registered
781 Posts
Re: (pelicanflyt)

Quote, originally posted by pelicanflyt »
BTW, billdcat, how in the world did you remove that intact???

Piece of cake!

Like everyone else, I searched all the Volvo sites, looked at the new knob, looked at the boot, looked at the parts diagrams, looked at the Sawzall pictures, and contemplated the procedure from every possible angle.

Then I placed the new boot and the new leather knob in my box o' Volvo parts for a year or so.

After a year or so, I handed the car, the knob, the boot and the white plastic ring that holds the shifter ball in place to the guys at my local indy Porsche garage.

There is a special tool designed to release the plastic prongs on shift knobs designed like that. I understand VADIS says to cut the knob off, but it's FOS, there is a special tool. There is a picture of one over at VS -- I know their search feature isn't the best but you can find it if you try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.