SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of purchasing a used 2001 T5, any things I should look out for? It has the Geartronic tranny with ~77,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: V70 T5 (snowdragon3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>snowdragon3</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im thinking of purchasing a used 2001 T5, any things I should look out for? It has the Geartronic tranny with ~77,000 miles.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Make sure all the related software downloads for the transmission have been done; check the sway bar links. <p>And, naturally, as with purchasing any used turbocharged car, check for IMPECCABLE services as far as oil changes are concerned.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (snowdragon3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>snowdragon3</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How can I check the software downloads if the owner doesnt have any paperwork? -thanks</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Dealer can confirm by VIN number but I would think to perhaps PASS on this one with no paperwork

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the upgrade hasn't happened, how much is it if the warranty has expired? Can any other Volvo authorized mechanic do it or must it be done by a dealer?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
The ETM is problematic on all '99-'00 S70's and Volvo just came out with a free download for it. At least you can get that done. I'm not sure what the other downloads would cost, but most "have to" downloads were done due to recalls, etc., so you might be lucky and get most if not all for free also. <p>Do at least a Carfax and get service records from the dealer as to what the P.O. had done to the T5. As long as he didn't do his own maitenance or have an indy do it, they should have them. <p>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

We're not talking about ETM's, 01's have about 4 software upgrades in general. Couple of engine and 2 transmission (auto) upgrades.<br>Stop neutral removal too

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dealer can confirm by VIN number but I would think to perhaps PASS on this one with no paperwork</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I wouldn't. You can go to any independent Volvo mech. and have the car evaluated for about $75. Ask them to run a compression test, check the plugs and filter and look at the state of the trans fluid and that will give you a real good idea about how the car has been treated and maintained. The can also look at little telltale items that will flag an abused car. As a trained mechanic myself, trust me when I say that it is really easy to see a good apple from the bad. <br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (shrike71)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>shrike71</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>I wouldn't. You can go to any independent Volvo mech. and have the car evaluated for about $75. Ask them to run a compression test, check the plugs and filter and look at the state of the trans fluid and that will give you a real good idea about how the car has been treated and maintained. The can also look at little telltale items that will flag an abused car. As a trained mechanic myself, trust me when I say that it is really easy to see a good apple from the bad. <br></TD></TR></TABLE><br>In theory I would 100% agree with you, but if someone hasn't taken care of the (Volvo) car in general and now a little birdie tells the seller to service it, remove dings, change the tranny fluid, etc. It NOW it becomes MUCH harder to tell without any back up paperwork.<br>Most cars I would agree with you but we all know what a minimum serviced Volvo gets like at these miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2001 T5 a couple of years ago. Biggest issue was the tranny. Alway had a harsh engagement from a stop (traffic lights etc.) and did some wierd flare shifting from 2 to 3 on occassion. Several software upgrades did nothing. Took a complete tranny flush and fill ($$) but it now works perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts