SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me & my wife test drove a new V70 T5 today and loved it. My wife was really hoping for a manual transmission with a turbo and Volvo seems to have the right mix. <P>We are unsure about if the 17" tires are a good idea. We do get some snow once and a while but mostly rain where we live. We like the idea of the 16's because they last longer and offer more "all weather" performace (I'm told) vs the 17" which are more perfomance tires and would be less than ideal in snow conditions.<P>Is there a big step down in performace of the car with the 16" vs the 17" tires?<P>Is it better to get the 17" tires for such a sporty car?<P>Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Can't offer you much advice because I have the 17" wheels and live in "usually sunny" central California. (BTW - It was 85F this past weekend) I think the ride and handling are great, and the road noise is relatively quiet (at least compared to the '88 760 I traded in). However I never even drove a car with the 16" wheels. Darell has the 16's, perhaps he'll pass on his comments as well. Darell?<P>Bruce<BR>'01 V70 T5, DOB 3/00, White, 6000 mi, Mobil 1, FID 540 & 616<p>[This message has been edited by Bruce Stanton (edited 03-29-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
I test drove a T5 with the 17's and found them to be more performance-oriented for sure. I went with the 16's almost totally because of cost. Eventually I want to choose my own wheels, so I didn't want to spend extra on the "this or nothing" Volvo wheel upgrade. The tires that come on the 16" wheels are surprisingly good. I drive way too fast in pouring rain, and always feel confident. Dry traction seems just as great. The biggest tradeoff is crisp cornering. There is no question that there is more shoulder flexing on the higher-profile 16" tires than on the 17's (but don't get me wrong...it is not even close to what I'd call "bad.") And on the other hand, that same flex makes for a more comfortable straight-line ride. I'm mostly pointed in a straight-line these days (unfortunately), so the choice for me was an easy one...at least for now.<P>Really it depends on what you're going to do with the car. If it's mostly on the freeway, as is my case, the 16's may be your best choice. If you want the good looks, and crisp handling, the 17's are your wheel. You can always upgrade later, of course.<P>- Darell<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Hi,<P>I live in Vancouver, have the P6000 17s for summer, and the Gislavid's 16's for winter...<P>Huge difference.... apart from the winters keeping me from slipping off a cliff into the ocean going up skiing, which I am trully thankful, the 16's in cornering are real sloopy in my opinion. Maybe that is just this winter tire, but cornering hard and then releasing the throttle and you get a good rock and roll out of it... feels not that good when you are already in a committed corner...<P>just put my summers on this past week, and what a difference in the cornering. Obviously. So, in my books there is a difference. Not sure on the sidewall construction of winters vs that of summers, but the 17 do help with such a heavy car in those corners.<P>sporto gordo
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garyt:<BR><B>Me & my wife test drove a new V70 T5 today and loved it. My wife was really hoping for a manual transmission with a turbo and Volvo seems to have the right mix. <P>We are unsure about if the 17" tires are a good idea. We do get some snow once and a while but mostly rain where we live. We like the idea of the 16's because they last longer and offer more "all weather" performace (I'm told) vs the 17" which are more perfomance tires and would be less than ideal in snow conditions.<P>Is there a big step down in performace of the car with the 16" vs the 17" tires?<P>Is it better to get the 17" tires for such a sporty car?<P>Gary</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The 17" tires are not "more performance" oriented. They are also all-season. And if all you get is rain with the occasional snow, don't even think of 16" tires. I could not imagine how much LESS attractive my car would be if it had the 16" alloys rather than the 17".<P>Yannis<P><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I feel the 17" 235/45 P6000s are unsafe in snow; worst I've ever driven. Almost unable to get traction on even the slightest uphill from start. Extremely nice in dry--IMO the sporty feel of my T5 is almost entirely due to the tires. Lots of tradeoffs, though in ride quality and noise. Tough call. Replacement tires are very expensive; could be difficult to find on the road. And you will need anopther set of wheels and tires if you drive in snow.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sondagsakare:<BR><B>I feel the 17" 235/45 P6000s are unsafe in snow; worst I've ever driven. Almost unable to get traction on even the slightest uphill from start. Extremely nice in dry--IMO the sporty feel of my T5 is almost entirely due to the tires. Lots of tradeoffs, though in ride quality and noise. Tough call. Replacement tires are very expensive; could be difficult to find on the road. And you will need anopther set of wheels and tires if you drive in snow. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>That's why Volvo has not been using them for the last 12 months or so. I agree with you, on their poor snow performance. Last year, I was driving my then demo, a 2001 V7o 2.4T with those tires, in the middle of a snow storm...it was embarassing! I could not go up a minor hill. I don't know how I made it home but those tires stunk! And they are noisy too! Their replacements, the P6s, are very quiet and their performance in the rain and snow is exemplary.<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyerinmontreal:<BR><B>So would I expect then that when my 2002 V70 T5 with 17" wheels arrives in Montreal that it will be outfitted with the P6's?<P>Thanks</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes.<P>Yannis<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I've read only mixed reviews of the P6. Given that I'm in Montreal and will certainly have a dedicated set of snow wheels/tires, any suggestions as to more performance oriented tires for the other seasons? I've heard good things about the Michelin Pilot.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyerinmontreal:<BR><B>I've read only mixed reviews of the P6. Given that I'm in Montreal and will certainly have a dedicated set of snow wheels/tires, any suggestions as to more performance oriented tires for the other seasons? I've heard good things about the Michelin Pilot.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Excellent tire but very expensive. I have been thinking about it when my P6s wear out. I have also heard excellent things about Toyos (different models) and the "new" Yokohama AVS4 dB (extremely quiet V-rated tire, all season). The Yokies are (fr the 235/45-17 size) about $125, each! Great price!<P>Yannis<P><P>
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top