SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V70 T5 have an AW 55 50 auto box with 24% drivetrain loss according to dyno. Im gathering parts for an m56 manual swap, so here's the question. Whats the drive train loss for m56 manual gearbox?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Depends on the clutch. Will you be using the OEM or more of a "performance" clutch?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
171 Posts
Depends on the clutch. Will you be using the OEM or more of a "performance" clutch?
I'm a bit curious of the logic behind this. I don't understand how a fully engaged clutch, performance or otherwise will have an effect on powertrain loss.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My V70 T5 have an AW 55 50 auto box with 24% drivetrain loss according to dyno. Im gathering parts for an m56 manual swap, so here's the question. Whats the drive train loss for m56 manual gearbox?

Thanks
Out of curiosity, what numbers did you put down?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity, what numbers did you put down?
313BHP 331ft-lb = 237WHP
Mods at the time
JT 3" Downpipe & Exhaust
Snabb Intake
Custom tuning at local shop

The drivetrain loss is probably higher with the current setup :(
Another good reason for manual swap

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone who dynoed their P2 v70/s60 FWD with m56 gearbox? BHP and WHP figures are much appreciated :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did you have the motor dyno'd on an engine dyno as well?
Sorry dont think i understand your question
Do you mean with the motor out of the car?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't explain that very well in english. perhaps some clever head can explain it.. anyway you can't measure it 100% but close enough

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
through what method? a coast test? ISS and OSS monitoring combined with the road speed and numbers from the dyno?

The most significant losses in a driveline are generally in the diff. you won't be changing that by swapping to a manual.

if you want a manual transmission to have one, then by all means do it, but I think that you'd find drivetrain losses aren't that much greater with an automatic, and you lose the advantage of torque multiplication.
There is no way to know what the driveline losses are without first knowing what the motor makes at the crank. They will be different for each car, absolutely unique to that specific set of gears/transmission, even down to wheels and tires. For that matter even down to WHAT dyno the car was strapped to. They're not all equal. Was it a mustang or a dynojet?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
through what method? a coast test? ISS and OSS monitoring combined with the road speed and numbers from the dyno?

The most significant losses in a driveline are generally in the diff. you won't be changing that by swapping to a manual.

if you want a manual transmission to have one, then by all means do it, but I think that you'd find drivetrain losses aren't that much greater with an automatic, and you lose the advantage of torque multiplication.
There is no way to know what the driveline losses are without first knowing what the motor makes at the crank. They will be different for each car, absolutely unique to that specific set of gears/transmission, even down to wheels and tires. For that matter even down to WHAT dyno the car was strapped to. They're not all equal. Was it a mustang or a dynojet?
On a dynojet
they measured the car fully stock to 252BHP after complete stage0. can't be that much off then?

that sounds right what you described. not sure though. I dont know the expressions in english either.

Going from 20%auto to 15%manual just to name a number is still pretty significant i think.

yes i will lose the benefits of torque multiplication. but the car will still be faster in any situation under WOT "except when changing gear perhaps" but not in my situation since last upgrade overhaul, current torque level is killing the poor autobox. can't keep up any more. but that's to be expected :)

Btw im not trying to sound clever. i was just under the impression that it was somewhat possible to measure crank HP

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How are they getting bhp from a dyno? What's the stock whp?
Read the above posts

196 WHP they got that number to 252 BHP. and they didn't know what a V70 t5 makes from stock factory which is 250BHP
did they random guess the 252BHP then?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
did they random guess the 252BHP then?
Dynos measure whp and not bhp so they must've made some assumptions and calculations to guesstimate bhp.

Anyway, this is besides the point. You might want to look for dynos from manual T5s and see what kinda numbers they're getting to estimate drivetrain losses

1 - 20 of 23 Posts