SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30 years of driving the same 240DL Wagon, knee surgery forced me to "upgrade" to a automatic transmission, so I now have a 2001 v70 2.4T

The rear-view mirror on the v70 gives me no view beyond the confines of the rear window itself. This forces more use of side mirrors, more head twisting, and so on, when the 240DL gave a more panoramic view, including a healthy chunk of the side rear windows in the cargo bay, making lane-changing a single-glance affair.

I've read that the remote key fob, the sunroof, the car alarm, and likely even the *&^#%#^ ignition timing are all controlled by a circuit board in the mirror, and that the auto-dim feature is a large LCD panel, but what about the actual mirror part of the mirror? Has anyone ever changed the mirror glass to a wider-angle unit?

I am amazed that Volvo, with their image of "safety" makes a mirror with tunnel vision.
I am just about ready to buy one of those clip-on units sold by JC Whitney, but I figured I can't be the first to encounter this basic safety issue.

I won't go into the contrast between a 2001 and 1982 Volvo except to note that the 1982 brick was from the days when cars were made of leather and steel, and men were made of iron, while these newer cars seem to be 50% plastic and 60% computers.

Bah!;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Lol! So true about these cars and computers! I can't say though that I have any complaints about te rear view mirror. I also have never driven a 240 wagon so I can't compare. Keep in mind though that the v70's portions are quite different than a 240.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The mirror in my XC currently looks like a lava lamp. Official fix is about a $700 replacement. I bought a donor mirror from ebay, dissected it to remove the glass portion of it, and plan swap that into the brains portion of my car's mirror. The glass portion connects to the circuit board via two soldered wires and is held in place by adhesive foam tape. See here:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?14289-Rear-View-Mirror-Rebuild

I suppose you could try to find a more wide angle piece of glass that fits the shape of the housing, but I'm guessing that's a pretty tall order. And then, you would probably lose the autodim function.

Just brainstorming here, but I guess you could put the circuit board up behind the headliner (keeping all of the connections intact) and then try to fit another, larger mirror. You would still have to work out how to adapt a larger mirror to the Volvo specific mounting system. I do have all of the parts (minus the glass) of a Volvo rear view mirror if you'd like to start experimenting.

A clip on is probably the fastest way for you to get a larger mirror.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I totally agree on the poor rearward vision out of the V70 and XC70, my beef it the side mirrors because they HIDE CARS IN THE BLIND SPOT. In fact this is downright dangerous and now I always have to take my eyes off the road and rubberneck to be sure there isn't a car there in the blind spot and I am darn lucky I do it too, because every now and then there IS a car there and I thank myself for the fact that I took the time to acutally look.

I heard the European rear view side mirror was convex. I also heard the UK version was too because it is on the passenger side for the UK market, so that mirror would be on the driver side of the US cars. I have not purchase one yet but probably will.

regards,

P

·
Registered
151 Posts
Agree with you to a certain extent.

I've trimmed my driver and passenger mirrors out far enough that it doesn't really leave a blind spot...but I can no longer see the rear corner of my car.

That said, I still always look over my shoulder to make sure I'm not missing a motorcycle/bicycle/small aircraft.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The convex mirror from the passenger side of a right-hand-drive car is pure genius!
I am going to find one and install it and have "objects in mirror closer than they appear" on BOTH sides!
I'll take photos.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You're supposed to look over your shoulder when you change lanes no matter what as all vehicles have blind spots to varying degrees. I don't have any issues with my V70's mirrors; if there's a vision issue it's due to the large amount of trim on the D pillars.

sent from...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Agreed, also, set your side mirrors properly, there is no need to see your car in the mirror so trim them outward accordingly. I have my mirrors setup so I can easily see a car go from my rear view to my side mirror with next to ZERO blind spot, BMW driving teaches the same thing as this video just different means of getting there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwzUE6PHk4U.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Agreed, also, set your side mirrors properly, there is no need to see your car in the mirror so trim them outward accordingly.
Respectfully, driving with the side mirror cocked all the way out leaves them un-usable for looking directly behind, and therefore a convex design is FAR SUPERIOR if we can just get the attorneys out of mirror design like it was before they arrived on the scene. Previously sold automobiles (and replacement lenses that were available) solved this problem. If anyone finds a reliable source for aftermarket convex lenses please post here because I want to convert as quickly as i can (presently driving around town with the fri**in* mirror cocked like I"m half-cocked, to compenstate for the obligatory rubbernecking I would have to do to drive in urban traffic on the interstate).

best,

P

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The convex mirror from the passenger side of a right-hand-drive car is pure genius!
I am going to find one and install it and have "objects in mirror closer than they appear" on BOTH sides!
I'll take photos.
Lemme know how this works, I'm next......or maybe first :)

best,
P

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed left side European mirror glass from FCPGroton six or seven years ago. Outer (far left) part is convex. I would've preferred full convex like the US right side mirror. My interior mirror also lava-lamped. I found a wider mirror with convex glass to clamp over it. It's the same height as stock mirror, just reaches to the visors. It has a small (baby-watcher) convex mirror underneath that lets me see out the rear hatch and rear quarter windows. No name on it. Found it at a thrift shop.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Good article, but that technique is compensating for the fact that the mirror is inadequate to give the fish-eye lens some of us like.

P

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
If there are no blind spots how is it compensating? I've always subscribed to the philosophy that you have 3 mirrors, they should be adjusted to give the maximum vision possible, which means they don't overlap. You don't use side mirrors for rear view, because that's what the rear view is for! Unless you have cargo of course.

That said, I agree that this car has some of the most terrible blind spots of any Volvo I've ever driven.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would consider replacing your 2001 V70 with a 1998 V90 wagon - the visibility of the older 7/9 series platform wagons is excellent in my opinion. You will lose the protection of Side Impact Head Airbags though. but will still have SIP thorax bags. The 1995-1998 US market 960/S90/V90 do have High Strength Steel inserts that older RWD Volvos didn't to better manage offset frontal collisions plus you will be back in traditional Rear Wheel Drive and have a smooth Inline Six.

If I remember correctly you can get an ECU upgrade to extract more HP (15+ or so IIRC) in the 1996+ V90/S90/960 and some people have installed BMW inline six (M3?) exhaust headers to gain even more power. Plus there are camshaft options that change the torque/HP curve with the 1995 newer 960 biased from the factory for more low end torque for the US market.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Between the three mirrors I have no blind spot whatsoever in my 70 with the seat in the right position. With the seat slightly lowered and pushed further back, this is no longer the case. I'm planning to return to my old seating position for this reason, so I would suggest maybe exploring the option of another comfortable seating position closer to the mirror if this is very important to you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That said, I agree that this car has some of the most terrible blind spots of any Volvo I've ever driven.
I've reserved that "honor" for the first generation C70 convertible when the top is up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts