SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a 2006 V70 R and have some concerns about the vehicle reliability. I am the type of person that keeps a car til the wheels fall off, so relability is a big concern to me. I am seeking feedback from those of you that have owned or own v70's.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: V70 R Opinions (campwc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>campwc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am in the process of buying a 2006 V70 R and have some concerns about the vehicle reliability. I am the type of person that keeps a car til the wheels fall off, so relability is a big concern to me. I am seeking feedback from those of you that have owned or own v70's.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Curious as to why you would have concerns about the reliability? The majority of us on here haven't had too many serious problems, and we're more nitpicky than the general Volvo public. <p>What have you heard that you are nervous.<p>Having said that, it is not as bulletproof as an average Japanese car, and it is expensive to fix, so if you're going to keep it for 100k plus, the extended warranty is a good deal at $2,500 +/-. And the R does have some weak points (angle gear), and some niggles (ECU temp reading problem on '06's, brake squeal, etc.) However, these are well documented on this board, and all covered under warranty. If you can put up with a bit of teething and get it straightened out, it's a great car. Brakes seem to last a while (40k on my fronts) and OCLV just replaced his clutch for the first time....at 76,000 miles!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

I have worked really hard modifying my car and it has held up great so far.<p>Even if you do encounter issues, this is a great community. I have found solutions for many common problems here.

·
Registered
960 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>campwc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am in the process of buying a 2006 V70 R and have some concerns about the vehicle reliability. I am the type of person that keeps a car til the wheels fall off.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Greetings,<p>I am on my 4th Volvo wagon. The 1st 740 was driven up to about 240,000 miles. Frankly, I learned that that car should have been sold at 100k as the repairs in the higher mileage range were excessive compared to my 911 Porsche, that I owned at the same time and drove to as high a mileage mark.<p>That said, my 98 V70 GLT was purchased used at 40k and I sold it at 100k with minimal repairs in that period of ownership. I then purchased a used 04 V70R. I put 20k on that car and intended to keep it until 100k miles, but then I saw a Sonic Blue with Atacama V70R and fell in love with my present car. Again, I will keep this car for 100k miles (probably 4-5 yrs) before selling it as European cars, IMO, are not made to be driven into the ground. They require a lot of maintanance in the higher mileage portion of their lives. Just my 2 cents.<br>Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: V70 R Opinions (needsdecaf)

I havent heard any specifics, just rumors since Ford is involved, some disguntled s80 owners etc. Since as i stated that i keep my cars for a long time, resale is not a concern, but i guess what i mean by reliability is constant trips to the dealer, faulty systems etc. I know there is no perfect car, and Volvo rep in the past (My sister owned a 80 sedan for years and loved it ) but wanted to know about the present. The test drive was incredible and has me hooked. I drove the Saab 9-5 Sportcombi wagon which was good. But the V70R is better. Some advice was similar to what was posted here, and thanks for the info. I should become an owner next week if all goes well.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>campwc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I havent heard any specifics, just rumors since Ford is involved, some disguntled s80 owners etc. Since as i stated that i keep my cars for a long time, resale is not a concern, but i guess what i mean by reliability is constant trips to the dealer, faulty systems etc. I know there is no perfect car, and Volvo rep in the past (My sister owned a 80 sedan for years and loved it ) but wanted to know about the present. The test drive was incredible and has me hooked. I drove the Saab 9-5 Sportcombi wagon which was good. But the V70R is better. Some advice was similar to what was posted here, and thanks for the info. I should become an owner next week if all goes well.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Ford has had very little to do with this car. The P2 platform has been around a while and the development was done w/o Ford involvement. <p>Some cars here have been dealer queens, but it doesn't seem like any more than usual.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

The ONLY current Volvo sold today that has anything to do with Ford is the NEW S40, the V50 and the NEW C70, everything else was designed before Ford was ever involved with Volvo<br>Actually Ford is using Volvo platforms and safety designs and gear not the other way around

1 - 7 of 7 Posts