SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you remove the blue gauges from a 2000 V70R instrument cluster and replace the gauges on a 1998 C70 cluster with the blue ones, will they work?
Also, has anyone replaced their instrument cluster illumination bulbs with the LED kit from IPD? Is there any difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is not part of the dial, the blue dial unscrews from behind and has a hole to show the odo, in other words the odo is a part of the cluster not the dial. It's very simple to do.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have a set waiting to go into mine. I will take some pics of the process when I do.

·
Registered
605 Posts
For some reason I thought 00 VR Blue faces wouldn't transfer into a 98 cluster
Here's a pic from my transfer

I've used autoluminations and superbrightLEDS in my clusters with zero problems...so far

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, that confirms my suspicions, now what is a fair price for them? Erie Volvo has two, but $225 or OBO. Thoughts? Seems a little high to me.....

·
Registered
605 Posts
~$125 is what Adam usually sells them for.
Remember you're only really paying for the faces

If you go to VS For Sale, there's a 98 V70R cluster

and for 98s I think you have to reset the mileage (if you want to) via software
Again I'm not 100% with the 98s

·
Registered
136 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but is the lighting on the R gauges still the same greenish hue as the non-R gauges? I've seen pictures online of R gauges with orange lighting, yet the odometer and trip computer still light up that pale gray-green... and that looks silly. I'd like to think it would all match at night...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Green/blue

·
Registered
605 Posts
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/140479-x70-led-swap-the-thread/

I've got blue LEDs in my cluster, and the odometer and trip/info computer are blue too. (stock is like JRL says)
There's 2 different sized bulbs for the cluster illumination.
(4) 194s for the faces (you can see the locations in my pic)
(3) 74s for the odometer and trip/info computer (on back side of cluster, behind the LCDs)

Stock, the two clusters are identical except for the blue gauge faces on the Rs

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. I just ordered a V70 R cluster from Erie Volvo. It came from a 1998 V70R. Question now is do I have to transplant the gauges into my 1998 C70 cluster, or will the whole cluster plug and play in my car? If it is plug and play, what about the odometer?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Its plug and play. You will have to live with what the odo says if you go that route. You can swap the gauges to your cluster. Very easy.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I think Lucky at ARD can reprogram the mileage if you mail it to him before installing it, it'd be worth a call to find out. Volvo has also been loosening their requirements on used modules lately and VIDA now has tools to do things like swap used ECUs which weren't available before, so you may even be able to get that done at a dealer now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all. I'm going to swap the dials. I've ordered the blue LED's from superbright for the cluster. Still not sure how I feel about that, but we'll see how it looks. Many thanks to mune237 for the link to LED's! Great information. I guess I'll start to swap out the incandescent bulbs in the rest of the car for LED's.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't forget the LEDs are polarity sensitive. So don't install the cluster until you're sure you have them correct and not 180 out.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Hey, for those who've done the dials, how do you make sure the needle is on in the right place? Does it have a way to orient them somehow?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts