SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for a while and can't seem to decide on a barely used 2010 V70 or 2011 VC60.

I am looking for a silver v70 r-design with less than 30k miles and less than $30k.

Plus side for the V70 - the r-design in in my price range.
minus side V70 - silver r-designs are very hard to fine (with less than 30k miles) and
I have read that the 3.2l engine is not very peppy and doesn't get very good mileage.

Plus side for 2011 XC60 - lots of them available
minus side - r-design is out of my price range
3.0T is recommended due to quick pickup but mileage suffers
3.2 is not recommended

not a big fan of the XC70 due to body armour

recommendations are welcomesd and appreciated.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The 3.2 feels plenty peppy in my mom's 2010 XC60 so it should feel even more so in a lighter V70.
The XC60 does drink gas in stop and go city traffic so if that is a concern I would hold out for a lighter V70. The V70 also should get significantly better HWY mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A V70 3.2 will get a lot better mileage than an XC60 T6.
Even with my XC60 3.2 I have a hard time getting 21mpg. The T6 is worse.
The acceleration is plenty adequate though. I was worried based on the readings but it moves well. You can pass multiple cars in an instant without much trouble. Only on inclines at 90/100+ I feel it is lacking until it shifts down to 5th.
You might want to consider the handling too. I was not used to an SUV and the XC60 slowness was a major shock for me. Now I am used to it but the first few thousand miles I was really missing my wagon.
So unless you need the clearance I'd take the V70.

The gov site gives 22 vs 27mpg freeway on the cars you mention.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
We own both and it really depends on what you will be doing with the vehicle. Our 09 V70 is my daily driver. My biggest gripe is that it is not tuned the way the 10's + are. Whatever they did in year 10+ makes the car a more pleasant drive. It holds more than the XC60 and does better on fuel. I think the ride of the XC60 is somewhat softer and more comfortable. It leans a tad, like all SUV's do, but not much. The 3.2 engine is more than adequate. If you were hauling large loads all the time I would say go with the T6 engine but you should be just fine with the 3.2. I have to say that I really don't like the Sensus system as it takes too many actions to do basic things. If I used it all the time it would become second nature and would not be a problem for me, but when I drive it on occasion it drives me crazy. All in all I would buy the XC60 before I would buy a V70 (which cannot be purchased new anymore in the US).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I recently found (and bought) a 2010 V70 R-Design with under 10k miles. It is an awesome car and I feel fortunate to have come across it. The 3.2 has plenty of power in this car, it just needs to rev a bit to make power and when it does it sounds awesome. The tranny is quick to drop a gear or two on demand and the other day I was passing and it dropped a couple gears and just took off. Anyone that complains about this motor is nuts in my opinion. However, the mpg is not great around town due to the weight - approx 20-21 mpg when I stay local. It will hit 26-27 on the highway though.

The handling is very crisp with the 245/40-18 tires but it tramlines a bit on the rutted roads we have out here so I'm picking up a set of 17" wheels and mounting 225/50-17 tires for normal use. It sure does look great with the 18's though. I had been looking at XC-70 and XC-60's when I found this one. I thought the XC-60 actually felt sportier and handled better than the XC-70 which felt somewhat soft and floaty, but I was still leaning toward the XC-70 as I prefer wagons to crossovers. It's really a shame they stopped making the V70 - it is a lovely car. Good luck with your search, I hope you find one. Here's a pic:

V70 R-Design

·
Registered
739 Posts
Love it. I can't remember the last time I saw a silver RD. Black, red, and white are the usual in that order.

OP, good luck with your search. And as an RD owner, I highly recommend finding a V70RD. I often gripe about gas, but I still average 21ish overall in horrendous traffic every day. And the cargo space is tops!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get the V70 R-Design if you can find one

Some good advice here, as usual. When I bought my 2010 V70 (not an R-Design) last summer, I was most concerned about the engine as the weak spot. I was bewildered that the R-Design was also only offered with the 3.2, as opposed to the T6. Why not put your sportiest engine in your sportiest trim?

Turns out the 3.2 engine delivers the goods just fine, and what I find a bit lacking is the suspension. The XC60 actually had the sportier ride, even without the R-Design. But the XC60 is still a crossover, you can't get around that towering ride height in driving dynamics. So the R-Design version of the V70 should be the optimal choice.

With the R-Design suspension, you'd think the 3.2 would come up short, if only because the suspension is so sporty, not because the 3.2 is lacking. But you've heard from V70 R-Design owners already that the 3.2 is not mismatched. Although I'm sure the car would be even better with the T6. But you'd pay a fuel economy penalty for that. As you would with the T6 in the XC60. Along with the ride height penalty. And expensive tires on those huge wheels.

Were I to do it again, I'm not sure I would do the R-Design, despite my mild misgivings about the V70's suspension. First of all, the R-Design was scarce and commanded a hefty premium. Second, being honest with myself, comfort is probably the higher priority hauling a family of four. For instance, it's a big jump from the stock 225/55-16 tires on the V70 to the 245/40-18 tires on the R-Design. Even the sport-tuned Benz E350 wagon has 45 aspect ratio tires—40 is getting real thin. Still, I would like to clean up the lean in routine cornering and waddle with quick lane changes. But I'd hate to compromise that smooth, mile-eating, highway ride.

Anyway, I heartily recommend that you go with the V70 R-Design over the XC60 with the T6. Or the regular V70 over the XC60 with the 3.2. Of course, we're in the 70 forum—you might get a different take in the XC60 forum. But don't listen to those guys; you'll get better advice here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you like high speed on highways, then you should be aware about that a V70 has significantly better aerodynamics than an XC60.
But if you are just pulling away from low speeds, then it doesn't matter.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I think that you will take a lot out of the R-design's handling and appearance if you replace the 18" wheels with17"s...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think that you will take a lot out of the R-design's handling and appearance if you replace the 18" wheels with17"s...
I expect you're right, but the roads here in the Portland area are badly rutted due to all the numbskulls that feel they need to run studded tires in the winter for the 2-3 days we get where it gets iced over. Granted, we have a lot of hills (I live on one where half the roads get closed on those days), but they apparently haven't tried the newer studless winter tires. There is a big debate every year about whether the studs should be made illegal due to the cost of the road damage, which is absorbed by everyone.

Anyway, the 18" wheel setup wants to climb in and out of the ruts leading to some tramlining. It's not that bad unless you try to make a quick lane change but I find it annoying - and it's embarrasing to see this obviously nice car wobbling across a lane or two. As much as I love the look, driving characteristics come first for me. On the other hand, I was suprised that the 18's are not as harsh as I expected them to be - it rides pretty well for the amount of grip it has, which is really amazing. This car will pin you to the door on smooth cloverleafs : )

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually tried to purchase that V70 as soon as I saw it pop up on the web. Sure hope you enjoy it...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I actually tried to purchase that V70 as soon as I saw it pop up on the web. Sure hope you enjoy it...
Are you up here in the Northwest? I had to snap it up quick the weekend it came in because they had several interested parties who were planning to come check it out. Yesterday we drove up to Mt St Helens and back, including poking around up on the mountain and got 27 mpg indicated but haven't filled yet as it was only down a half tank. It really loves those two lane backroads. Hope you find one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
actually, I'm in Ohio...Not many 2010 V70s around here...(none) ;-)

·
Registered
739 Posts
actually, I'm in Ohio...Not many 2010 V70s around here...(none) ;-)
So OP... which way are you leaning? Wagon or Crossover?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So OP... which way are you leaning? Wagon or Crossover?
V70...I see too many complaints about rattles, radio and mileage on the XC60 forum

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
V70...I see too many complaints about rattles, radio and mileage on the XC60 forum
OH now all I need to do is find one! I am looking for a 2010 V70 R-design with heated seats. I do not want another black car so my preferences are Silver, Red, White, and lastly Black and the car has to have less than 30k miles. That should'nt be too hard to find (LOL)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quick scan of Craigslist shows one in Orange County, CA (silver, 21K) and one in Minneapolis (black, pvt party). The latter was posted almost a month ago, probably not still available and not your first choice anyway. There you go.. quick flight into John Wayne, do the deal and on your way... home a few days later in time for supper :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick scan of Craigslist shows one in Orange County, CA (silver, 21K) and one in Minneapolis (black, pvt party). The latter was posted almost a month ago, probably not still available and not your first choice anyway. There you go.. quick flight into John Wayne, do the deal and on your way... home a few days later in time for supper :)
Hate to ask a dumb question, but are you able to search all of the Craiglist sites in the US? When I try, it ask for cities...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts