SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2001 V70XC with 178k miles (very well maintained, lots of work done including new trans etc). I just had the front axles replaced again today due to a typical axle wobble when accelerating uphill or out of a turn. After two sets of FHQ axles I went out of my way to order EMPI brand ones from IPD this time. And... the wobble is still there. It is very severe at times, especially under acceleration on a left or right 90 degree turn, like when you are pulling out of a side street into traffic and accelerating moderately hard. Steering wheel vibrates quite badly when you do that. I can also get a pretty bad vibration if I gun it going uphill at low (20-30mph) speed.

I have removed my driveline to eliminate that as a source of the vibration. That seems to have made it much worse. My mechanic (a very good Indy here in Seattle with excellent reputation) said that "if I felt that wobble 100 times I would say it was an axle," but seems to think it might be something else. He said that the engine mounts look fine and has suggested putting the driveline back in. I've also replaced the trans torque mount, upper eng stabilizer, and lower right eng mount.

Any ideas on what could be causing this are appreciated. Thank you.

Alex

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've seen the carrier bracket that bolts to the block for the Right front axle be bent enough to prematurely wear out axles. I've also found that the R/passenger side axle is most often the culprit of wobble and shakes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward the engine mounts (the front or rear, hard to get at ones). Are those a big job to replace? Also I understand you have to jack up the engine to check them? The mechanic said the engine mounts look fine, but I don't know how he could know that from just looking under the car. Any details on the process of checking these would be appreciated.

It could be axles, but the odds of getting 3 bad sets must be pretty low. In future I'll always go out of my way to get rebuilts by raxles. I can't bring myself to pay 500+ per side at the dealership for remans. Plus I am not sure they would take my aftermarket ones for the core deposit.

Interesting about the carrier block being bent. How would I check that? Is it something the mechanic would be able to see when replacing the axle? To me the vibration feels worst on the left side, but I gather that these things can be telegraphed through the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just a real close visual noticing how the carrier bearing sits in the bracket. Not to be a wise guy, but did you rotate the tires just to be sure there's no issue there? Like a small cord-shift?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I haven't rotated the tires. I didn't think it could be that since the car feels fine except for specific load conditions. It sounds like I was wrong to think that. I'll do it first thing.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Rebuilt axles are notorious junk. Ran into this many times at the dealer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I was thinking that rebuilts from Volvo or Raxles would be a better bet than the aftermarket ones. They cost 2-4 times as much not including the core deposit.

I balanced and rotated the tires... no change. Car goes back in on Monday and I'll see what the indy says. I am sure he will figure it out and will post the results.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well i'm sure the stuff from Volvo is ok, never tried Raxles. And any of the "new" aftermarket stuff is china junk.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
last time i checked, raxles does not deal with these axles....
am i wrong?

but there is a reason that the Volvo wants a lot of money and the aftermarket are under $100....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
perhaps bent/unbalanced wheels?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wheels / tires balanced and are fine. Driveline reinstalled, reduced vibration but not to an acceptable level. I'm done throwing axles at this car and will be getting rid of it as soon as humanly possible. What a dissapointment.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
OK, so only wobbles when accelerating uphill or out of a turn. You removed the driveshaft to the rear wheels and it got worse, and you rotated ALL 4 tires, and it does this through 8 different half-shafts.

I wonder if its the DTC braking your wheels for no good reason. Has anyone read the codes? No, I don't mean Autozone, but through VIDA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts