SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a V70 is non-R and non-XC, then it cannot have AWD - is this correct?

Also, I see some folks here refer to a "T5" V70. Is this just shorthand for the 2.5T version of the vehicle (in 2006), or was/is there another "T5" distiction?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Re: V70 = no AWD ? (sierraV50)

There were AWD V70's that were not XC's or R's.... They were available between 2002-2004, I think they're pretty rare though.

The 2006 models did not offer a v70 with the t5 engine.... The t5 engine in the v70 was the same as the engine in the s60 t5....

The 2.5t replaced the 2.4t in 2004, I think....

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Re: V70 = no AWD ? (dugums)

Quote, originally posted by dugums »
There were AWD V70's that were not XC's or R's.... They were available between 2002-2004, I think they're pretty rare though.

The 2006 models did not offer a v70 with the t5 engine.... The t5 engine in the v70 was the same as the engine in the s60 t5....

The 2.5t replaced the 2.4t in 2004, I think....

agree with the above; I looked seriously at getting a 2004 V70 AWD (non-R, non-XC) but they were hard to find in general and when I was looking simply not to be found with the DSTC option that I required. It has a little bit higher ground clearance than the standard V70, is a little more sluggish due to increased weight and drag of AWD, but overall a nice package that did just about everything the XC could do but didn't have the extra plastic on the exterior that I didn't like.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

2.5 T5 replaced the 2.3 T5 (I think)
They have had V70 AWD's from 1998 thru 2004. ALL years were rare, not many built

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: V70 = no AWD ? (kenschel)

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »

agree with the above; I looked seriously at getting a 2004 V70 AWD (non-R, non-XC) but they were hard to find in general and when I was looking simply not to be found with the DSTC option that I required. It has a little bit higher ground clearance than the standard V70, is a little more sluggish due to increased weight and drag of AWD, but overall a nice package that did just about everything the XC could do but didn't have the extra plastic on the exterior that I didn't like.
They also handled better as they are nearly 3/4" LOWER than an XC

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Re: V70 = no AWD ? (JRL)

It get's just a tad confusing because now there is a 2.5T in the S40 and C70 which is almost the same as the 2.5T in the 60, 80, 90...

The 40 and 70 motor have about 10hp more (same torque) as the 2.5T in 60/80/90,,,,

The 2.5t is an evolution of the 2.4t.....
The T5 in the V70 was always a higher pressure turbo with a little smaller displacement. Because of this, when the new 2.5t came out, a lot of people preferred it to the T5. The increased displacement made for better low end torque. Also, the newer 2.5T benefitted from advances in CVVT programming on both exhaust and intake sides. This allowed it to make 236 lb/ft of torque at really low rpm. I think peak torque in the 2.5t begins between 1500 and 1800 rpm and is solid all the way to 4500 rpm. The T5 doesn't get the full torque until ~2350-2600 rpm. You only get 7-11 extra lb/ft on the T5 and it does not spool as quickly.

The newer T5 engine on the 60 (2006 definitely, 05 maybe (can't remember)) is actually a 2.4 liter displacement.... Torque is now rated at 258 lb/ft all at 2100 rpms.... They got the improvements because of the increased displacement and again improved CVVT performance on both exhaust and intake sides.

I don't know if it is still true, but the change in displacement was because cylinder liners in the T5....

·
Registered
41 Posts

We searched desperately for a 2002-2005 V70 AWD. Very difficult to find, but its a great car. Yesterday we pulled up next to a 2004 XC70 in the Target parking lot. excluding the plastic trim, emblem and XC rims, they looked like identical cars.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks to everyone who has tried to clarify the situation

I'm coming from a V50 (see http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=62724 )

I would happily get back in another V50, but there have been a few instances in the year we had the car that we thought it was a touch small. Especially w/ a carseat in the center of the backseat, sitting an adult on either side was v.snug - getting the seatbelt on was a challenge!

So, looking a something a little larger, in a wagon.

But I'd really like to keep AWD; and the addition of DSTC as a standard feature in 2007 is a huge draw. But at the same time, I don't like the XC styling (heck, I don't like the V70 styling as much as the V50, but the XC plastic is a deal-killer for me; JMHO)

So, not sure how to procede. I personally would probably try to swing the R, but I know I won't get that approved by the Household Finance Director

Looking at other mfg., too, but I can't help but think about how I crawled unscathed out of the Volvo.

Anyway, thanks for giving me the lowdown on the V70.

Regards
Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts

We considered such a car in 2004 as well, although opted for the FWD version (2.5T). We preferred it to the XC version, because of the plastic on the XC and less trucky feel of the AWD. But it was clear Volvo wasn't trying to sell them. The prices of the XC were heavily discounted, and ended up being much cheaper than the AWD variant, once options were equivalent (and maybe even if not). So it wouldn't surprise me if they're hard to find--only people who were willing to pay extra to avoid the plastic were likely to be buyers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: V70 = no AWD ? (v70drew)

Agree, I too would have liked to at least have the option of a V70 T5 AWD. It is still available in Europe, as is the V70 D5 AWD.

I suspect it is a marketing/logistics/profit issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: V70 = no AWD ? (bigtomhammer)

No such thing as a V70 T5 with AWD here in Europe.

You can get a V70 T5 without AWD (260bhp) or a V70 2.5T with or without AWD (210bhp).

I've got the 2.5T AWD because that was the biggest engine you could get with AWD (apart from the R), otherwise I definitely would have taken a T5 engine. Now chipped it gives me around 245 bhp with good traction especially during wet conditions here in the Netherlands.

R

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sierraV50 »
Thanks to everyone who has tried to clarify the situation

I'm coming from a V50 (see http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=62724 )

I would happily get back in another V50, but there have been a few instances in the year we had the car that we thought it was a touch small. Especially w/ a carseat in the center of the backseat, sitting an adult on either side was v.snug - getting the seatbelt on was a challenge!

But I'd really like to keep AWD; and the addition of DSTC as a standard feature in 2007 is a huge draw. But at the same time, I don't like the XC styling (heck, I don't like the V70 styling as much as the V50, but the XC plastic is a deal-killer for me; JMHO)

So, not sure how to procede. I personally would probably try to swing the R, but I know I won't get that approved by the Household Finance Director

Looking at other mfg., too, but I can't help but think about how I crawled unscathed out of the Volvo.

Anyway, thanks for giving me the lowdown on the V70.

Regards
Chris

Wow, Chris, quite a crash, I looked at the pics. Glad it all worked out ok, your V50 did its job. Are you wedded to AWD? Might do just fine with FWD unless you are often up in the mountains skiing, etc. That would eliminate the choice of the faux suv plastic thing of the XC vs. the pricey R...just get a 2.5T FWD. Or, you could see if there are some leftover 2006 Rs to be had in your area, the discounts might be pretty hefty. I wouldn't have been willing to pay even close to full price on an R myself, but in August (2004) they had an incentive of 6k off MSRP which was enough enticement...

·
Registered
192 Posts

If I were you, I'd bring your car seat along with you to a dealership and see you much more room you're going to get with the V70 v. V50. I suspect not a whole lot more - I've got two car seats in the back of my 04 V70R and you've got to be pretty svelte to be comfortable in the third seat. Fastening the seatbelt is a bugger too - the thing you plug it into is way too "recessed" and too close to the other one, such that 9 times out of 10, the backseat passenger releases the car seat before releasing him/herself - would love to know if Volvo makes seat belt extenders that would eliminate this annoying problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Are you wedded to AWD? Might do just fine with FWD unless you are often up in the mountains skiing, etc. That would eliminate the choice of the faux suv plastic thing of the XC vs. the pricey R...just get a 2.5T FWD. Or, you could see if there are some leftover 2006 Rs to be had in your area, the discounts might be pretty hefty. I wouldn't have been willing to pay even close to full price on an R myself, but in August (2004) they had an incentive of 6k off MSRP which was enough enticement...

I am 90% wedded to AWD
We live just over an hour from Lake Tahoe, and so yes, having AWD for winter time is a huge boon. Our other vehicle is a 4WD Yukon, but nowadays I mostly use that for hauling, or large cargo.

Your idea to check out end-of-year '06s is a good one, and one of the things we'll be doing soon.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: V70 = no AWD ? (canuck-R)

Quote, originally posted by canuck-R »
If I were you, I'd bring your car seat along with you to a dealership and see you much more room you're going to get with the V70 v. V50. I suspect not a whole lot more - I've got two car seats in the back of my 04 V70R and you've got to be pretty svelte to be comfortable in the third seat.

Thanks, yeah, we plan on doing this. Last year June when we were shopping, my wife was 5 mo. pregnant, and we hadn't purchased a car seat yet. I suppose we could have borrowed one from friends. In fact this time around, one of our friends has offered to lend us her next-size-up carseat - our Little One is still less than 22 lbs. so we still have just the infant carseat right now.

You prompted me to look these up, according to volvocars.us:

Head Room Rear
V70: 38.9 in.
V50: 38.1
Shoulder Room Rear
V70: 55.9 in.
V50: 54.1
Leg Room Rear
V70: 35.2 in.
V50: 34.4.
Hip Room Rear
V70: 54.8 in.
V50: 50.7

Not a whole lot of difference except Hip Room. That would probably be the most useful, too, when it comes to car seat accomodations.

But thanks for your perspective on the V70 car seat situation!

Chris

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

Hip Room Rear
V70: 54.8 in.
V50: 50.7

Not a whole lot of difference except Hip Room. That would probably be the most useful, too, when it comes to car seat accomodations.

But thanks for your perspective on the V70 car seat situation!

Chris

Excactly, hip room is critical when you are talking car seats. Right now in my V I've got 2 infant-type car seats installed, and the right side integrated booster in use, and it is snug but it WORKS. Even if you ended up with triplets (
) and 3 car seats in use all at once, it might be even tighter, but with the latch system it would probably still work.

The built in boosters are superb, if you plan on having more than one kid (even if you don't--kids just tend to happen as we found out!!) I wouldn't get a V without them.

·
Registered
10 Posts

In Canada you can still get a 2.5T AWD which is essentially the regular V70 with an AWD drivetrain from the XC70. The 2.5T has about an inch more ground clearance than a regular V70 but less than an XC.

The T5 is the FWD "hot rod" version of the V70. I think they are up arounf 265 hp now and have 4c.

You can check it the V70 2.5T AWD the Volvo Canada website. http://www.volvocanada.com

There is a decent used market for them and I doubt you would have much trouble importing a used one into the US (I think a new one would have import duties but a used one doesn't). The web-site also has a listing of all the available used V70 2.5T AWD's in Canada.

So you get AWD without the XC cladding etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts