SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights were really bad, almost no difference between low beams and high beams :D. Probably normal after 350k miles and 20 years. So I decided to fix that.

The parables were completely busted. This is original Volvo part:

So I decided to switch parables with newer ones from aftermarket DEPO headlights. (Of course I could just swap the entire headlights, but I didn't want to have DEPO headlights and I like to complicate things :D so I decided to swap just the DEPO parables into original Volvo housing). This is DEPO parable.

Transformation completed after few hours of work.

The result is AMAZING. Now I can see at night. High beams are crazy good. And yes I'm so excited about regular H7 bulbs... I really had crappy lights before.

I just have to solve one issue. I had 4 headlights in total (2 Volvo, 2 DEPO). I completely tear apart all of them and put together a set of 2 good ones. When I was putting electric motors back in I saw that there are 2 different versions. Both versions original Valeo, but two of them had longer adjustment rods. I assembled the headlights back together with a set of two electric motors with longer adjustment rods. But now my low beams are not aligned. Any idea on how to fix that? Should I swap the electric height adjustment motors, so that I will have one with a short rod and one with a longer rod? I already tried to align them manually... but manual alignment only works for left - right. Up and down adjustment is only possible with the electric switch on the dashboard.

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
Looks good. Love fresh reflectors and e code lenses.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ScottishBrick Thanks. I've seen that you are very knowledgeable of P80 platform. Do you know how to adjust left and right headlight at the same level? As you can see on the last picture they are not aligned.

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
@ScottishBrick Thanks. I've seen that you are very knowledgeable of P80 platform. Do you know how to adjust left and right headlight at the same level? As you can see on the last picture they are not aligned.
I’ve never had electronic adjustment on a p80 so mine are just manually set.

If it’s anything like a p2 with level control you want to dial them all the way down manually before messing with the electric adjustment. It’s possible the lower adjuster ball socket is not seated fully on one of them, take a look at that they clip in

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
your headlight level motor doesnt have a manual adjustment on top?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ScottishBrick thanks a lot for your help. I took a look and of course I have a manual adjustment on top of my headlight level motor. I don't have an idea how did I missed that. And this adjustment does exactly what I was looking for, it moves light up and down.

I have now aligned both of headlights perfectly and it looks awesome in night! Forgot to take a picture, but what a difference from my previous 20 years old headlights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My headlights were really bad, almost no difference between low beams and high beams :D. Probably normal after 350k miles and 20 years. So I decided to fix that.

The parables were completely busted. This is original Volvo part:

So I decided to switch parables with newer ones from aftermarket DEPO headlights. (Of course I could just swap the entire headlights, but I didn't want to have DEPO headlights and I like to complicate things :D so I decided to swap just the DEPO parables into original Volvo housing). This is DEPO parable.

Transformation completed after few hours of work.

The result is AMAZING. Now I can see at night. High beams are crazy good. And yes I'm so excited about regular H7 bulbs... I really had crappy lights before.

I just have to solve one issue. I had 4 headlights in total (2 Volvo, 2 DEPO). I completely tear apart all of them and put together a set of 2 good ones. When I was putting electric motors back in I saw that there are 2 different versions. Both versions original Valeo, but two of them had longer adjustment rods. I assembled the headlights back together with a set of two electric motors with longer adjustment rods. But now my low beams are not aligned. Any idea on how to fix that? Should I swap the electric height adjustment motors, so that I will have one with a short rod and one with a longer rod? I already tried to align them manually... but manual alignment only works for left - right. Up and down adjustment is only possible with the electric switch on the dashboard.

Would you be able to tell me where you acquired the new parables?

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
V70 Headlights restoring & adjustment

Would you be able to tell me where you acquired the new parables?
He bought new depo assemblies and put the reflectors from those in his Volvo housings.

If you're looking for a set I have left and right TYC (also quality) assemblies with like new reflectors. Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He bought new depo assemblies and put the reflectors from those in his Volvo housings.
Yes, that was it.

As I know you can also get original ones re-coated, but I don't know who is doing this and I had a pair of almost brand new DEPOs at home.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Not a bad solution, but I have to say...

These lights are made up of housings,
adjusters, reflectors, lamps and lenses.

A PARABLE is a story.
A parabola is a mathmatical function that can be
used in the design of something like these reflectors.

Just sayin’.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@BEJinFbk my bad, I'm not a native speaker. In my language it's called "parabola" the same as mathematical function. I was referring to the silver reflecting part, so I guess reflector is the right word.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts