SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Need to replace the radiator on my '99 v70 GLT. Never done a repair of this size, and was wondering if anyone could direct me to a written step by step instruction that I can use in conjunction with youtube and common sense. Any words of wisdom from more seasoned mechanics is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,436 Posts
There's an RSPI video and a Ben McNalley video. I watched both before doing the job and also used a Haynes manual.

It helps to have a helper. My back will never be the same after doing this job solo. I found myself in a stooped over position for an extended period, especially during the re-installation as you align the holes on the "sandwich" (radiator, intercooler and a/c condensor), which together are quite heavy. Also, watch out for breakage of the side supports on the intercooler, which will have become weak and brittle. You may have to McGyver it a bit when re-installing. Oh, and don't overtighten the drain plug on the new radiator if it's plastic.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Using a jack to support the radiator/condenser/intercooler while reinstalling it is a huge help. Be careful with the two bolts that attach the radiator to the core support; if your car has been exposed to salt they'll probably seize into the weld nuts and break. If they do, you can get them from the dealer or the parts store (the latter are much cheaper, of course); they're M8X1.25 and 40mm long.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
the two bolts that hold the radiator to the core support are double nutted. Take the top ones off then take them out from the bottom. Otherwise youll just bend and tear up the support.

Use a bungie cord to hold the condensor while doing the job if you want to keep your AC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not mentioned, but needed, will be 2 new green clips for the Transmission cooler lines

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts