SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal for a p2 v70 to activate high beam when flashing? as far as i can tell stalk has 2 posistions but in first it locks high beams on also when ignition off i an switch between dipped and highs ?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
This is one where it's best to read your owners manual, there's multiple functions due to the electronics being all programmable. For example, pulling the high beam switch with the ignition off activates "homesafe" lighting which basically turns all the lights on around the car so you can see where you're walking as you go inside in the dark. They shut off after a few seconds.

If you don't have a manual, go to Volvo's website, they have all the owner's manuals available by year online in html format. Bookmark it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Why wouldn't that be normal. You are pulling on the hi-beam stalk. Ergo, you will be activating te hi-beams. Both detent positions activate the hi-beams; detent 1 activates hi-beams as long as you have the stalk in that position, detent 2 keeps the hi-beams on until you return the stalk to detent 2. I don't know of any car that activates the low beam when trying to "flash" people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the problem is posisiton 1 and 2 it keeps high beam on until i pull stalk again so to flash someobe i pull stalk balk one click and pull one click to take back to low beam

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
That's why I said read your manual. Here's a link. http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2003/2003_V70/03v70_02b.htm

The flash function is disabled when the lights are on. If you want to flash people turn the headlight switch off so the DRLs are on.

Also, it'll help for future questions if you list your location and the year/make of your car in your profile and create a signature with your car info in it, because things work differently depending on year and location, and sometimes even model.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thats the problem is posisiton 1 and 2 it keeps high beam on until i pull stalk again so to flash someobe i pull stalk balk one click and pull one click to take back to low beam

Problem is you haven't driven enough makes of cars til now. There are 2 camps regarding high beams on the stalk. Some mfrs activate highs by pushing the stalk toward the dash, and allow you to pull back to "flash" them like when warning of a speed trap. The other (and the loyalty to either way is about equal) is there is no pushing, in which case, pulling flashes, but ALSO leaves you in hi-beam mode until you pull again.

And that pullling w/ignition in 0 is a pretty cool trick....that I will NEVER use haha.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I've actually used it a couple times, when I got home at night, went and got my mail, screwed around for a minute or two and my garage door opener light shut off. Quick flick of the stalk and I have enough light to see my way to the door, which is the exact kind of thing that it's for. Also guarantees no boogeymen or Freddies or Jasons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts