SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
06 V70 R (M66), 06 V70 R, 07 V70 R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to all,

I thought I would add this post in case anyone out there is experiencing the absolute frustration of what I dealt with for over a year.

I've owned R's for years. Started with GT S60 and later strictly V's. All were and are GT's, but I wanted the M66. Pre-covid, after a year of looking, I finally found on 06 M66 V R wagon. Even better, it was only 3 miles from my office! Needless to say, I went immediately that day, saw, drove and bought it. I was very excited.

It certainly was goin to need plenty of work however, but I knew that going into it. 4C, timing belt and 4 tires, brakes et al to start with, out of the box. Once the initial replacements were done, I got to drive the car. It was great fun for a bit, but when I got on the throttle, it would accelerate momentarily before chugging, sputtering or skipping, whichever adjective you prefer. Basically, when you floored it, it would skip a bit and was more noticeable as you got into the higher gears. If you kept at it in higher gears, initially, it would cause check engine light and go into limp mode. The code was P0089 on IBD. All gears did this at all times always. The skipping stopped around 5k rpm and was fine.

We started with the plugs and coils. 5 new plugs and one coil replaced, no change. Next onto the fuel system, which I recall was the code from IBD, I think it was fuel pressure sensor or regulator, or something the like. Anyway, replaced the the lot, fuel pump, pressure regulator and filter to no avail.

My Volvo mechanic drove it for a while (several different times) over weekends and etc. Smoke test had done so on PCV issues found amongst other things I can't even remember. The end resulted in him contacting VCA to see if they had any suggestions about a week ago.

About 4 days ago, I finally decided to do a google search, not a straight search on Swedespeed or Volvo forums which I had been doing. I searched google with variations of this thread's title items and hit upon one that matched on Swedespeed. Here it is; Stutter during acceleration

At the end of the link, I caught a line about coils not throwing codes, my R was also not throwing any codes..after throwing many $ at it to get there! Anyway, my radar went off and I called my mechanic after deciding that I would not do it myself, just in case I made a mistake, and got the beast into the shop. I had them replace all 5 coils.

I got the car back yesterday, and after a warm up, hit the blacktop. It's kind of hard to shift a car and hold the wheel with fingers crossed on both paws, but that is how it went down. First gear is hardest to detect, but I wanted to be sure. I worked through each of the gears, putting each to the test both a low rpm and high. To my great joy, this nagging, fund extracting problem is over!

So, I hope no one ever has to deal with this issue, but if you do, save yourself time, frustration and hard earned cash and replace the coils first.

Best of luck R fans.

Health and happiness to you in 2022!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Excellent news! Always surprises me when folks don’t do things “all at once.” Totally respect there’s a cost associated with that, but the trade off is time and doing stuff more than once. Glad you got to experience the M66 in all its long roof glory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

A
awg
Registered

Joined Apr 29, 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 14 d ago

Happy New Year to all,

I thought I would add this post in case anyone out there is experiencing the absolute frustration of what I dealt with for over a year.

I've owned R's for years. Started with GT S60 and later strictly V's. All were and are GT's, but I wanted the M66. Pre-covid, after a year of looking, I finally found on 06 M66 V R wagon. Even better, it was only 3 miles from my office! Needless to say, I went immediately that day, saw, drove and bought it. I was very excited.

It certainly was goin to need plenty of work however, but I knew that going into it. 4C, timing belt and 4 tires, brakes et al to start with, out of the box. Once the initial replacements were done, I got to drive the car. It was great fun for a bit, but when I got on the throttle, it would accelerate momentarily before chugging, sputtering or skipping, whichever adjective you prefer. Basically, when you floored it, it would skip a bit and was more noticeable as you got into the higher gears. If you kept at it in higher gears, initially, it would cause check engine light and go into limp mode. The code was P0089 on IBD. All gears did this at all times always. The skipping stopped around 5k rpm and was fine.

We started with the plugs and coils. 5 new plugs and one coil replaced, no change. Next onto the fuel system, which I recall was the code from IBD, I think it was fuel pressure sensor or regulator, or something the like. Anyway, replaced the the lot, fuel pump, pressure regulator and filter to no avail.

My Volvo mechanic drove it for a while (several different times) over weekends and etc. Smoke test had done so on PCV issues found amongst other things I can't even remember. The end resulted in him contacting VCA to see if they had any suggestions about a week ago.

About 4 days ago, I finally decided to do a google search, not a straight search on Swedespeed or Volvo forums which I had been doing. I searched google with variations of this thread's title items and hit upon one that matched on Swedespeed. Here it is; Stutter during acceleration

At the end of the link, I caught a line about coils not throwing codes, my R was also not throwing any codes..after throwing many $ at it to get there! Anyway, my radar went off and I called my mechanic after deciding that I would not do it myself, just in case I made a mistake, and got the beast into the shop. I had them replace all 5 coils.

I got the car back yesterday, and after a warm up, hit the blacktop. It's kind of hard to shift a car and hold the wheel with fingers crossed on both paws, but that is how it went down. First gear is hardest to detect, but I wanted to be sure. I worked through each of the gears, putting each to the test both a low rpm and high. To my great joy, this nagging, fund extracting problem is over!

So, I hope no one ever has to deal with this issue, but if you do, save yourself time, frustration and hard earned cash and replace the coils first.

Best of luck R fans.

Health and happiness to you in 2022!

Reactions:R_ThoR, grew, bibendumss and 2 others
SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="R_ThoR"]https://www.swedespeed.com/d3/avatars/m/43/43271.jpg?1607480151[/IMG]
R_ThoR
Excellent news! Always surprises me when folks don’t do things “all at once.” Totally respect there’s a cost associated with that, but the trade off is time and doing stuff more than once. Glad you got to experience the M66 in all its long roof glory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. I wonder about the misdirection ala ibd2, but all's well that ends well. I now have a M66 with pretty much everything new on it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts