SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade the stock suspension in my 2004 V70 AWD. it has 118000Kms on it now and the stock suspension which was never firm enough is starting to be quite soft. I have looked around but my problem is that I do not want to lose any of the ride height. I bottom out enough as it is and tow a trailer from time to time so losing ground clearence is not an option. I would like to get a new set of shocks and springs for the rear and a new set of sturts for the front. somthing like the Bilstens would be perfect but it says they do not fit the AWD Model. I would really like a ride height adjustable set up anyone have anything like that?

The only system I have found for the V70 AWD is the $2600 Heico setup but that lowers the car and costs $2600. If I was going to pay that much I would really like to get what I want and not have to lower the car.

So if anyone has any information about V70 AWD suspension set ups I would really like some input.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: V70 AWD suspension upgrades HELP! (Mcally_V70AWD)

Not really. No one makes a good rear shock for a Volvo AWD.
You can put anything (Koni's Bilstein's)on the front but you're relegated to new stock shocks for the rear.
When I originally lowered my S60AWD, the Eibachs made the front too low. I wound with using a T5 front spring and an Eibach in the rear. Car sat level and was much better then stock. This way the front lowers by only perhaps 3/4", the rear about an inch as it sticks up too high anyway

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: V70 AWD suspension upgrades HELP! (Mcally_V70AWD)

i have had springs custom made for several cars. there are usually specialty shops that will do it or have it done. the last ones i had made were for a 145 and they cost me 75 bucks each, they copied the hd ipd rears with a heavier wire for towning a trailer with more tounge weight. check around.

look under springs, automotive, my local.sf bay area, book has 5 in it. the one i used was a1 spring service in oakland cal. i know there will be one near you

·
Registered
181 Posts
same dilemma, but with a new awd (original was lowered with eibach/heicos - destroyed in January). The heico springs really fixed the ride and handling, but made it too low, so good roads (Switz, French main roads) were a delight, but bad roads (Chamonix etc) were a nightmare for bottoming out.

I may go for TME AWD springs - they claim to lower much less than the eibachs (which were around a 5cm drop in the rear, 3.5 in the front). Or I will get IPD sways to reduce the roll and hopefully reduce understeer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts