SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened the other day after the temperatures got below freezing.
The rear wiper still works.
The front fluid and headlight fluid still works.
As I understand it, this is all from the same pump on the V70 so it cannot be a fuse.
I took the tailgate trim off and pulled off the pipe from the rear connection and then tried the lever but still no fluid comes out.
I cannot see any fluid underneath the car so it doesn;t seem like it's leaking anywhere.
Any ideas of what next to try?
Apparently there is a connection valve inside the rear panelling as per the attached diagram but I cannot seem to pull the trim off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long shot but maybe the wire is broken at the trunk hinge? A common problem
You mean where the tailgate opens, near the hydraulic mechanism?
I cannot see liquid anywhere near there.
I was able to pull back butnot take off the rear panel above the tweeter and see the pipe and there's no liquid there either.
I cannot seem to remove the panel though - very difficult.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hah, you're right, I totally forgot about that.

Not sure how to help then. You could remove the bumper and make sure the pump is working
The pump is working because there is only one pump and the front windshield fluid works! ;)
How can I remove the rear panel above tweeter to find the joint just under the roof?
Is there anything I can do with compressed air?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took off the back tube and took a bicycle pump and pumped air through it. I can hear air coming out as bubbles in the front reservoir so there is no blockage. However, when I push the lever for the back, the wiper comes on but still no fluid. No fluid comes out of the pipe even when disconnected.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Was the rear window washer fluid an option exclusive to the v70? My 04 XC only has front nozzles AFAIK

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
How does the fluid in the pump get directed either to the front or to the back if it is the same reservoir?
I'm not questioning that yours has this option; and I don't know whether mine actually does or doesn't. I just thought my XC didn't come with it since I've never seen it spray the rear windshield when I trigger it with the washer stalk. Are there two different triggers on your v70? If so that would explain how it got directed to different place from the same reservoir. Otherwise, your issue is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not questioning that yours has this option; and I don't know whether mine actually does or doesn't. I just thought my XC didn't come with it since I've never seen it spray the rear windshield when I trigger it with the washer stalk. Are there two different triggers on your v70? If so that would explain how it got directed to different place from the same reservoir. Otherwise, your issue is a mystery to me.
Hehehe it was a separate question!
The car came with it so not sure if it was an extra option or not. The manual talks about it like it's meant to be there with the V70.
The front washer plus headlights are triggered by pulling the lever.
The back by pushing the lever.
Apparently it just makes the pump run in reverse but something must direct the fluid to front ot back like a valve or a fuse that is connected to a switch valve?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hehehe it was a separate question!
The car came with it so not sure if it was an extra option or not. The manual talks about it like it's meant to be there with the V70.
The front washer plus headlights are triggered by pulling the lever.
The back by pushing the lever.
Apparently it just makes the pump run in reverse but something must direct the fluid to front ot back like a valve or a fuse that is connected to a switch valve?
Well...in a Humourous turn of events, it appears that the reason I thought this was an option I didn't have was simply because I'm having the exact same problem you are and apparently have had this problem for the 2.5 years I've owned the vehicle!

I'll be following along.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I, too, am having problems with my rear window washer not working in my 01 V70 XC. It worked for years, then one cold snowy day I pushed the lever to activate it and it squirted for a second or two and hasn't worked since. I assumed it was because the nozzle was frozen, but it hasn't worked in nearly two years. Salty roads make it impossible to see out the back window. I'll be following this thread closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had this issue and suspected a kinked hose somewhere. Removed all of the hatch trim, looking for a kinked hose. No kink in the hose. I bought a new spray nozzle as well, as a precaution. Replaced the spray nozzle and everything works like new again. The problem with the newer nozzles is that the holes are so small that any small debris can easily block it and you can't clear it.

FYI I had the same symptoms- the washer worked, the pump worked, front washers and headlamp washers worked, rear wiper worked, could hear the pump activating when I triggered the rear wash, but no spray.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Common issue in Norway, fairly common, atleast. We use the washers alot.

The pump itself is bi-directional. Goes one way for front washers, goes the other way for rear washer. Think there is a flowback-valve too, keeps the fluid from running back to the tank, near the pump.

Pull the pump and inspect with direct 12V, and look for air pressure. Or go pro, submerge and spray water on your garage floor, then measure volume, duration and spray lenght, should equal out.

That last part is a joke;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts