SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Volvo enthusiasts. I have a 2006 V70 2.5T with 205k and a pending Smog check. The dreaded P0089 code and CEL is present.

So far I have replaced the fuel filter & replaced the fuel pressure sensor. I have also checked the fuel pressure. On startup its ~50 psi, but settles to quickly ~40psi at idle and 38psi 5-minutes after the engine is shutdown, so I don't think I have a fuel line leak. The code re-appears 1 mile after a reset.

Could this be a fuel pump issue ? I'm happy to replace the pump, but as its an afternoon's work, I would like to have some certainty.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks - Patrm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response ZZZZZZZZZ - Im in San Francisco. I assume VIDA is a Volvo specific scan tool.

I might see if I can get one on eBay if it will help save this car from the scrapper !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Code P0089 & CEL - P2 XC70

I encountered the P0089 almost a year ago:
  1. Replaced the fuel pressure sensor
  2. Replaced the fuel filter
  3. Replaced the fuel pump
I was reading on this forum, and came across an entry where the poster described his friend who was working for Volvo as a mechanic. The first thing this mechanic did with a P0089 was disconnect the feed from the fuel pump at the fuel filter. He would do this multiple times, re-starting the car each time. I tried this approach over two weeks ago, disconnecting the line about 10 times, catching most of the gas on a paper towel in the tray I was using. I stopped when I was no longer seeing any black particles being discharged with the gas.

I was skeptical, but I've driven over 700 km, and about 15 trips of various distance without the dreaded P0089 CEL re-appearing. WORTH A TRY!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it in for basic diagnostics. Turns out my PCV system was completely clogged, I need a new water pump and I have an oil leak on the exhaust side timing belt shaft (possibly caused by the PCV issue). Oh, and the sway bar needs to be replaced soon together with the engine mounts. Uncertainty about the P0089.

While I was considering whether it was worth the $$ to try to get this car through smog my and get it right, Son had a fender bender in the car. That helped me in my decision. So I traded it in for another V70 2.5t with 95k - near mint.

So lessons learned about ongoing preventative maintenance and lets see if we can get this new V70 to 200k+ in better shape !

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I encountered the P0089 almost a year ago:
  1. Replaced the fuel pressure sensor
  2. Replaced the fuel filter
  3. Replaced the fuel pump
I was reading on this forum, and came across an entry where the poster described his friend who was working for Volvo as a mechanic. The first thing this mechanic did with a P0089 was disconnect the feed from the fuel pump at the fuel filter. He would do this multiple times, re-starting the car each time. I tried this approach over two weeks ago, disconnecting the line about 10 times, catching most of the gas on a paper towel in the tray I was using. I stopped when I was no longer seeing any black particles being discharged with the gas.

I was skeptical, but I've driven over 700 km, and about 15 trips of various distance without the dreaded P0089 CEL re-appearing. WORTH A TRY!
Thanks for this! First P0089 post that talked about what the Volvo shops do to deal with it. They probably replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pressure sensor too in order to make a buck but hey......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts