SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this site and am considering my first Volvo. I am considering the two above mentioned cars. My gut tells me that the XC70 will have better resale due to the hype surrounding SUVs. The drawbacks would be the taller tire sidewalls and ride height giving a less sporting handling feel than the V70 AWD and any tire noise due to the aggressive treads. I am also guessing that an XC70 would be easier to find. Any thoughts or help would be helpful. If you have a compelling reason why I should go with one over the other, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
Re: V70 2.5T AWD or XC70? new purchase decision (drift)

Welcome to Swedespeed!

I'm sure Yannis (he works at a Volvo dealership) will give you some good info. When I was considering getting my current 2000 V70R I was also giving the 2002 XC (and V70 T5) serious consideration. I chose the R mainly because I wanted more of a performance car than a "suv" type.

The XC maybe better if you live on rough roads, and the extra ground clearance may come in handy when the snow starts to fall. The plastic cladding will also help keep down on the stone chips. The XC does not handle bad, sure there is some lean but it is a very solid car. The prices have come down for '03 and you get the new Haldex AWD system. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif It is not an Audi allroad when it comes to handling and performance but it is still a fun to drive.

If you are concerned with sidewall flex, you could always get different set of rims and tires. I guess the biggest things are your use for the car and your budget. Does the XC offer more of something you like/want versus a having to load up on an AWD V70. The geartronic trans is a very nice option if you can get it in the AWD V70.

My only complaint with the XC is that it should have the T5 hi-pressure turbo setup. If it would have had that, I probably would have purchased the XC. I test drove the '02 T5 and XC back to back twice in the same day, if you get the opportunity to do this with the AWD V70 and XC it may help your decision making. Their performance should be similar, I believe the both have the 2.4T low pressure turbo, it may have a power bump for '03.

Good luck. Both cars are very nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: V70 2.5T AWD or XC70? new purchase decision (83caddy16v)

Thanks, I should have said that I am a performance guy with a few years of road racing and pro rally co-driving on my resume. This car will be my wife's daily driver and the family car on the weekends including ski trips to VT. FYI - ground clearance has never been an issue for us and that includes doing some service chasing at rallies. We are looking for a blend of ride and handling leaning towards the performance side.

The T5 and R woud be more than we want to spend right now. I was only looking at the V70 AWD (with the 2.5T for '03) but spoke to a salesguy at the Boston auto show. He suggested that it may be easier to find a car (with premium pkg and booster seats) if I were looking for the XC70. He was the one who said the resale would be higher with the XC70 also. One option may be to get the XC70, put some Hakkas on the stock wheels and get a set of 17s with performance rubber for the summer.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts

Would the T5 be that much more than the XC? If so, you may want to get a 2.5T with a set of snows and skip the AWD.

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
Re: V70 2.5T AWD or XC70? new purchase decision (Wayne T5)

2003 pricing:

Yannis posted these a bit ago:

MSRP on a V70 2.4T w/ Climate & Premium packages is $34,620!
MSRP on an XC70 w/ Premium & Touring packages is...$37,920!!!
MSRP on a V70 T5 w/ Geartronic, Climate & Premium packages is $38,220!

A T5 is just a few hundred bucks more and you could probably get the same exact deal on either a XC or T5 depending on how the dealer plays with their profit margin on the cars. There may be more incentives on the XC70 with the XC90 coming out. There are a few thousand dollars of wiggle room, so if you find a hungry dealer you could do really well.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
To make it a little easier you can rent an XC 70 for a weekend from Hertz's Prestige Collection. I just rented one to get a feel for it and it's not too bad. I drove about 400 miles this past weekend. I didn't notice much tire noise at all with the Scorpion tires it had. Very minimal, espcially driving 80mph on the Mass Pike. There is a body lean to it while taking hard corners but it did stick real well to the road.

I currently drive a modded 99 Passat and miss the tighter handling when I had the XC 70. But it's also a totally different car. The one thing I do like is the ride height which helped out on a roads that are under construction.

If you are more looking at a performance car, a V70 AWD/T-5 might be the better way to go. Unfortunately I have not driven those yet.

Hope this helps.

Ron

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: V70 2.5T AWD or XC70? new purchase decision (B518T)

Thanks everyone. You are correct about pricing re: the T5 and XC70. My mistake, I am new to Volvos. This will be my first but my folks have had a 1962 122s (I wish they kept that one for me, can you say vintage racing?...) and a 1982 244. The T5 is not 4WD and that is on our must-have list, so it is not being considered. Fifteen years of rallying experience have made me a believer.

I know that our test drives will be the deciding factor, but I just wanted some feedback from owners, so thanks for that. Ron, good tip on the rental, I will look into that. Also, we are VW folks too, so you insight is of value on that as well. We had previously narrowed our choices to the VW Passat GLX 4motion and the Audi A4 Avant Quattro, but am now considering the Volvo V70 2.5T AWD and XC70 after seeing them at the auto show. Also, our family will be expanding and the extra room of the Volvo will come in handy. We are just at the beginnning stages of looking but if there is interest, I will post my findings after test driving.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

Thanks everyone. You are correct about pricing re: the T5 and XC70. My mistake, I am new to Volvos. This will be my first but my folks have had a 1962 122s (I wish they kept that one for me, can you say vintage racing?...) and a 1982 244. The T5 is not 4WD and that is on our must-have list, so it is not being considered. Fifteen years of rallying experience have made me a believer.

I know that our test drives will be the deciding factor, but I just wanted some feedback from owners, so thanks for that. Ron, good tip on the rental, I will look into that. Also, we are VW folks too, so you insight is of value on that as well. We had previously narrowed our choices to the VW Passat GLX 4motion and the Audi A4 Avant Quattro, but am now considering the Volvo V70 2.5T AWD and XC70 after seeing them at the auto show. Also, our family will be expanding and the extra room of the Volvo will come in handy. We are just at the beginnning stages of looking but if there is interest, I will post my findings after test driving.
Hey, sorry for not replying earlier but I was away on vacation; just got back.

Here is a very simp,e solution to your "problem"; why don't you get the 2003 XC70 (or V70 AWD if you just want the regular wagon looks without all the extra mumbo-jumbo of the XC), order it through the European Delivery program (additional savings) and you get two free tickets plus tremendous savings! You will end up in the $33K to $34K range, a price that will definitely put the Volvo Wannabe Passat GLX 4Motion to shame. The V70 is definitely more car, from all aspects.

Then, after a few months of owning it, chip it and the HP will go from 208 to the 240 range...you will not regret it!

But if you are serious about fun and performance...T-5 is the ONLY way baby!

Yannis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts