SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at downgrading from my beast, a 2008 XC90 V8 RD to something a bit cheaper (funds needed elsewhere for a while).

However I still need something roomy for the family, with some poke.

Have seen a 2004 V70 2.5T AKTIV for a good price, with relatively low kms for an 11 year old vehicle.

Thoughts? Might need to spend a few $ on suspension and other goodies from IPD and Viva.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Generally they are good, long lasting vehicles. Good idea to have it pre purchased checked for things like suspension and timing belt, any stored faults, etc.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Timing belt, strut mounts, LCAs, PCV, fuel pump (was an issue in hot places in the USA, dunno about Australia), headlight glass clearness, and check for any error codes preferably with VIDA. That's all I can think of for an 04-07 2.5t FWD Volvo. Don't swap the TCV for an aftermarket 'HD' one (no longevity from MAC type valves), or put a K&N filter (our MAF does not like oil) on the car. It won't do anything, and it may be detrimental.

If it has an HU803 head unit it is far better than the normal one. Night an day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Timing belt, strut mounts, LCAs, PCV, fuel pump (was an issue in hot places in the USA, dunno about Australia), headlight glass clearness, and check for any error codes preferably with VIDA. That's all I can think of for an 04-07 2.5t FWD Volvo. Don't swap the TCV for an aftermarket 'HD' one (no longevity from MAC type valves), or put a K&N filter (our MAF does not like oil) on the car. It won't do anything, and it may be detrimental.

If it has an HU803 head unit it is far better than the normal one. Night an day.
Thanks for feedback. Pardon my ignorance, but what is an LCA and a PCV?
Do I need to buy a VIDA device to check codes?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Thanks for feedback. Pardon my ignorance, but what is an LCA and a PCV?
Do I need to buy a VIDA device to check codes?
LCA = lower control arm.

PCV = positive crankcase ventilation. It's a magic box and hose that keep seals from blowing out. And by 120k miles it usually needs replacement. Which isn't hard. But it isn't fun.

A VIDA scan would be the best. And owning VIDA is super useful.

Also check the power steering reservoir the 99-04 cars have a badly designed one that leaks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks. Cost of VIDA? Where to buy?
eBay and ebay. Typically around $100-120 and you need a windows 7 computer. I bought a refurbished dell for $120ish, so for $250ish I have a setup that lives in my toolbox. Super useful, but setup can be something of a bear for some people. Mine came with fairly good instructions, so I didn't have any issues.

The links I've inserted will take you to the seller pages from where I purchased.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts