SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br>Have a 96 850t and am looking at an AWD V70 98. But I am relatively unfamiliar with these cars, this one has 110k miles looks clean needs a prepurchase evaluation. It's at a used car dealership so records of service will be few. Can anyone help me out with a few basics on this model...where the problem areas exist, and in general is this a pretty good year car and model?? Recommended modest upgrades?<br>Thanks.<br>Richard<br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: V70 1998 AWD (rguzz)

Well, where do we start.<br>Same as an XC (minus an inch or so ride height)<br>Try to listen for ANY weird noises coming from the drivetrain (AWD repair=$$$$)<br>Are all the tires the same or close to same tread depth? Measure them, do not eyeball them. If more than 3/32 difference in tread, walk away fast.<br>Check the trans fluid for the right color. Does it shift properly with no clunks in ALL gears.<br>Check to see if the timing belt was changed at 70K or close to, sticker should be on the engine. Check the cabin filter. If it wasn't changed and is filthy you may have some future A/C problems.<br>I can go on and on here but it pays to have EVERYTHING checked out properly<p>Look in the owners manual service/maintenance book. If it was serviced at a Volvo dealer there should be service stamps there. There is no reason why an independent shouldn't have records if they were provided by the owner.<br>Also have the suspension looked at for worn or broken strut mount, shocks and shock mounts ($$), broken sway bar links and all the inner and outer tie rods, an indication if the car has been serviced properly or needs all this work done now.<br>If it doesn't pan out, come up to PA and buy my T5 which has been THROUGHLY serviced and is a GREAT, FAST wagon (see classifieds, here)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts