SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier

I don't know this car very well as the other owner drives it and I don't. But here are the symptoms.

The doors will not lock. Press the key fob button, nothing. Other buttons (e.g. lights flash) work fine.

When you open the door, the dash lights up. If I push the button, it asks for the key. If I put the key in, it starts. If I turn it off again and remove the key, dash remains on. If I get out and press the doorlock button on the fob, nothing happens. Other fob buttons do function.

It acts as though it is perpetually in Ignition 0. Even after sitting (unlocked) in a driveway for two whole days, it is still in what seems to be Ignition 0.

I might have done the turn-off sequence a little wrong. I might have pressed the button or removed the key at the wrong time, I dunno. Well, now no combination of button presses and key inserts and retractions turns it off.

If there's some sort of reset I can do to this computer on wheels that would be great. We're in a tight spot and can't go to a mechanic. Thank you very much for any input.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have you tried moving the shifter from park -> drive -> park? Could be the sensor in the gear shift. Does it matter how close or far you are from the car when using the fob? Could be a faulty proximity sensor. You have both keys? Didn't leave one inside the car?

I rarely insert the key in the dash but I don't think there are any sensors there that could cause an issue. Just a hole and flap to hold the key.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Does your car make a beep when you hit the lock button on the remote after you get and all the doors are closed? If not, then all the doors might not be closed all the way.

Also, after turning off the car and taking the key out, have you tried locking the car with the button on the door and not the keyfob?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does not beep and I checked all the doors. Perhaps one of them is closed but not "closed" per the system.

When I press the button on the door they all lock and then unlock. It has always been that way. I've never understood why because sometimes a person needs to be able to lock themselves inside their car.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It does not beep and I checked all the doors. Perhaps one of them is closed but not "closed" per the system.

When I press the button on the door they all lock and then unlock. It has always been that way. I've never understood why because sometimes a person needs to be able to lock themselves inside their car.
Press My Car and go to Settings -> Car settings-> Lock settings. If audible confirmation is selected, the car is set to give an audible confirmation when the car is locked. If you are not getting the audible confirmation, it means that the car thinks a door or tailgate isn't closed all the way (this is what the manual says on page 146). That may also be what is keeping the car in ignition mode 0. You also should be able to lock the car from the lock button on the door. Something is screwy with one of your doors.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Does your car make a beep when you hit the lock button on the remote after you get and all the doors are closed? If not, then all the doors might not be closed all the way.

Also, after turning off the car and taking the key out, have you tried locking the car with the button on the door and not the keyfob?
This. I was out last night and my car would not lock. I tried all the doors. Finally went in to the fast food joint and tried from VOC. Happened to notice the alert that the rear door was open. Went back out "slammed" the tailgate and the lock worked. The V60 had just got out of the body shop from a repair & I was thinking they had missed something. The tailgate takes a bit more force than I prefer to apply. I hate when people slam my doors

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier

I don't know this car very well as the other owner drives it and I don't. But here are the symptoms.

The doors will not lock. Press the key fob button, nothing. Other buttons (e.g. lights flash) work fine.

When you open the door, the dash lights up. If I push the button, it asks for the key. If I put the key in, it starts. If I turn it off again and remove the key, dash remains on. If I get out and press the doorlock button on the fob, nothing happens. Other fob buttons do function.

It acts as though it is perpetually in Ignition 0. Even after sitting (unlocked) in a driveway for two whole days, it is still in what seems to be Ignition 0.

I might have done the turn-off sequence a little wrong. I might have pressed the button or removed the key at the wrong time, I dunno. Well, now no combination of button presses and key inserts and retractions turns it off.

If there's some sort of reset I can do to this computer on wheels that would be great. We're in a tight spot and can't go to a mechanic. Thank you very much for any input.
Have you tried the 2nd Key Fob to see if these symptoms are still present? Key Fobs use a battery. Try replacing the battery in the unit (if 2nd keyfob not available for testing). I had very weird and sporadic issues like doors wouldn't unlock, key not present, etc. Weak Keyfob Battery.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Have you tried the 2nd Key Fob to see if these symptoms are still present? Key Fobs use a battery. Try replacing the battery in the unit (if 2nd keyfob not available for testing). I had very weird and sporadic issues like doors wouldn't unlock, key not present, etc. Weak Keyfob Battery.
He's also having the issue when trying to lock the car with the button on the door, so I would guess it isn't a keyfob battery issue. Before replacing the battery, I would recommend checking if the car leaves ignition mode 0 by locking using the physical key.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
He's also having the issue when trying to lock the car with the button on the door, so I would guess it isn't a keyfob battery issue. Before replacing the battery, I would recommend checking if the car leaves ignition mode 0 by locking using the physical key.
Hmm. Wonder if his car battery is on its way out the door...Weak Car Battery could be causing a lot of sporadic issues, too. Wonder when the last time OP had his car battery tested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for these great suggestions. I'll keep them in mind as we go forward. But meanwhile the problem sorted itself out when the main driver came home and told me that the dashboard was reporting the hatch was open. Well, I had opened and closed the hatch a couple times to no effect but when she did it, it fixed it. I don't remember seeing any indicators in the dash display either but that doesn't mean it wasn't right in my face.

The inside lock thing concerns me, though. You should be able to lock yourself in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts