SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2019 V60 T6 (R-Design) and would like to add a trailer hitch. Is there an official volvo hitch? Do you recommend it or something else? Would welcome suggestions

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not sure with the V60, but I do know the official XC90 hitch in North America requires that the bumper be cut. I would recommend Stealth Hitch (www.stealthhitches.com.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too was looking for an official trailer hitch for a 2019 V60, but Volvo does not offer their power folding tow bar in the US. Stealthhitch looks like a great option, and my V60 already has an opening in the bottom on the bumper where the factory unit would have been. I considered ordering a Volvo genuine hitch from overseas but Volvo customer service they would not warrant it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We have a 2019 V60 T6 (R-Design) and would like to add a trailer hitch. Is there an official volvo hitch? Do you recommend it or something else? Would welcome suggestions

Thanks
Look into the Stealth trailer hitch. It a top quality hitch and fully hidden when not in use. I put one on my Subaru Outback. Great product.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I too was looking for an official trailer hitch for a 2019 V60, but Volvo does not offer their power folding tow bar in the US. Stealthhitch looks like a great option, and my V60 already has an opening in the bottom on the bumper where the factory unit would have been. I considered ordering a Volvo genuine hitch from overseas but Volvo customer service they would not warrant it.
I have the InvisiHitch which is very very similar to the StealthHitch. Regardless of the hardware, I bought the OEM wiring harness through the dealer who installed it plus the software. The wiring IMO and software needs the warranty more so than the hitch itself. The OEM wiring, software and installation are covered by Volvo’s parts warranty and the dealer. I also had my dealer install the InvisiHitch hardware. Although not covered by Volvo’s warranty. 2.5 years and going strong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am wondering the same thing if the fold away dealer installed trailer hitch is worth buying. It comes with 1.25 receiver which limits the type of trailer hitches if you are wanting to tow a trailer. Stealth Hitch is something to look at, but you will need to take it to the dealer to install the anti-sway software. LMK what you decide to do. Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have ordered the Stealth Hitch for my V60. I am only using it for my bike rack so don't need to take it to the dealer for the SW.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have ordered the Stealth Hitch for my V60. I am only using it for my bike rack so don't need to take it to the dealer for the SW.
Do you have BLIS? I know you can turn off BLIS from the left function panel on Sensus which may negate the need for the software.

Otherwise, you might receive false and annoying BLIS warnings with your bike rack and bike.

Others have more experience with just the bike rack than me. I tow a utility trailer. Without having hooked up the lights, et al, I know that I was getting the BLIS or similar warnings. Not sure about the other safety features in your case. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do have BLIS on my V60. I have the same issues with BLIS warnings on my wife's XC90 and the Invisihitch we have on her car. I just turn it off manually using Sensus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Volvo does offer a V60 folding trailer hitch. Are you going to use it for towing or just for bike racks. If not for towing, I would look at an aftermarket other than Volvo. If you are planning on using for towing you will need to decide if the 1.25 inch receiver hitch, which is what the Volvo hitch has, is large enough. Stealth hitch is a good product, but you will need to take it to a Volvo dealer after it is installed to do a software update so your anti-sway feature is working correctly.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Volvo does offer a V60 folding trailer hitch. Are you going to use it for towing or just for bike racks. If not for towing, I would look at an aftermarket other than Volvo. If you are planning on using for towing you will need to decide if the 1.25 inch receiver hitch, which is what the Volvo hitch has, is large enough. Stealth hitch is a good product, but you will need to take it to a Volvo dealer after it is installed to do a software update so your anti-sway feature is working correctly.
The foldable hitch, by VOLVO, will offer a 2” ball; it’s not the old style where it has a fixed 1.25”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got the stealth hitch on my 2019 non-cc V60. Fits nice with minimum cutting (nothing visible). The only problem I’m having is that I can’t find a dealership that will update the software as they don’t offer a hitch with the non-cc V60. Any suggestions? Lights work with the harness and all, would be nice to have it integrate with the car for stability control etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Volvo has a foldable hitch for the V60 CC North American market which has a removable ball, so can work with a bike rack. But there is very little info other than what’s on the Canadian website - I’ve talked to two dealers and neither had installed one yet.

I have a V90 CC and was about to pull the trigger on a stealthhitch, but now I’m going to wait until Spring to see if Volvo rolls this hitch out for the V90 CC. Stealth is a great product, so if Volvo doesn’t offer anything I’ll go that route in the Spring. I bike a lot so have a hitch rack, but also have to tow my boat occasionally.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ca/V60%20Cross%20Country(19-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-516544/2020

·
Registered
128 Posts
I’ve got the stealth hitch on my 2019 non-cc V60. Fits nice with minimum cutting (nothing visible). The only problem I’m having is that I can’t find a dealership that will update the software as they don’t offer a hitch with the non-cc V60. Any suggestions? Lights work with the harness and all, would be nice to have it integrate with the car for stability control etc.
Have you spoken with Stealth? With the V90, apparently you need to have the XC stability program loaded - so this might be the same case for the V60. Then you could just ask the dealer to load that. Stealth is really good at responding to questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did talk to stealth, said should just be a software update. By dealership insist that a hitch is not an option for the non-cc so they can’t do anything.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I did talk to stealth, said should just be a software update. By dealership insist that a hitch is not an option for the non-cc so they can’t do anything.
It’s probably as the non CC was not certified / tested to receive a tow rating in NA. The car itself like many others is able to utilize a tow hitch design for a different model. The dealership won’t install it as it’s not allowed to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the InvisiHitch which is very very similar to the StealthHitch. Regardless of the hardware, I bought the OEM wiring harness through the dealer who installed it plus the software. The wiring IMO and software needs the warranty more so than the hitch itself. The OEM wiring, software and installation are covered by Volvo’s parts warranty and the dealer. I also had my dealer install the InvisiHitch hardware. Although not covered by Volvo’s warranty. 2.5 years and going strong.
Just wondering how the module/updated software works:
Once installed, how does the car know wether it's towing or in regular drive mode?

Do you have to set this via the menu ( from the driver console/radio unit)?

or does the module/car recognize this "automatically" by itself?

Also: when pulling a trailer with electrical brakes: how or where do you have a brake controller set up?

Seems like there are very few folks towing and I cannot find out from any local dealer nor the very uninformed US customer service guys... it'd be great to know how to pull my little popup trailer safely before investing in this rather expensive Volvo setup...

Cheers!
monku

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Do you mind sharing how much the dealer charged to do the software?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts