SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
V60 T8 Electric range after depletion

Good morning.
I own a one month old V60 T8 Inscription with roughly 2000km. I drive mostly in Pure mode in the city.

One day my battery reached 0%. When I got home I plugged it in for the night.
On the next day I noticed that the battery was “running out” much quicker. The next two days I drove only 20km/day so it didn’t reach 0% but was running out quicker too... On the 3rd day or so I drove more and my battery reached 0% again after only using like 7kwh (from what I could see on the VoC app).
After that the battery range was back to normal for several days but this situation happened again when it reached 0% the other day.

Is it normal? Am I alone ?
Best regards

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Good morning.
I own a one month old V60 T8 Inscription with roughly 2000km. I drive mostly in Pure mode in the city.

One day my battery reached 0%. When I got home I plugged it in for the night.
On the next day I noticed that the battery was “running out” much quicker. The next two days I drove only 20km/day so it didn’t reach 0% but was running out quicker too... On the 3rd day or so I drove more and my battery reached 0% again after only using like 7kwh (from what I could see on the VoC app).
After that the battery range was back to normal for several days but this situation happened again when it reached 0% the other day.

Is it normal? Am I alone ?
Best regards
You are along with V60 T8 here. :) Send customer support an email and see what they suggest. Usually they suggest a service visit, and you can follow their suggestion with screenshots and VoC journal. My XC60 T8 usually drives at hybrid cause I am lazy to switch mode. I did use pure mode once and got home with no battery left. So far didn't see such.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are along with V60 T8 here. :) Send customer support an email and see what they suggest. Usually they suggest a service visit, and you can follow their suggestion with screenshots and VoC journal. My XC60 T8 usually drives at hybrid cause I am lazy to switch mode. I did use pure mode once and got home with no battery left. So far didn't see such.
Thank you for your help. I've noticed this situation at least two times after recching 0% and it seems like a software.
I drive mostly in Pure because I end up covering under 40km most of my days. That way petrol only kicks in a few times a week...
I'll contact my Volvo dealer.
Best regards

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I read in a forum here someone got update recently that allows more battery capacity be used and e-range is higher. Maybe you will get it too.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

1-2 months ago I went to the dealer and they did an update (or reset?) to the "battery Manager" (I really Don't know) and it solved the problem...
I've been driving without letting the car reach the "-- km" range in hybrid since and everything went fine.
However, the other day it reached --km while driving in hybrid (even with the "hold" option ON) and the problem came back again. The battery drains too fast. I was doing like 36km per charge (I even managed to do 40), in hybrid, and now I struggle to reach 28km.

I've contacted the dealer again and have an appointment at the end of the month.
I guess this is a software related problem. I don't know if this is just me or with a lot of people but they don't realize. I mean, if you drive 80-100km a day with the ICE kicking in a lot that difference won't be noticed.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
997 Posts
On the USA site you can now only configure the 2020 with T8 if it's a Polestar Engineered model. Seems odd.

·
Registered
667 Posts
On the USA site you can now only configure the 2020 with T8 if it's a Polestar Engineered model. Seems odd.
Thanks for pointing it out. I thought I'd heard that the V60 T8 would not be coming to America. This is good news! I'm disappointed at seeing the high cost and few options -- evidently due to the "Polestar engineering", however. Still, US purchasers should still get the $5k tax credit for buying this (which is the value for other T8 Volvos). Here in Massachusetts, we'd get an additional $1k off, so that brings the high base $67k MSRP down to $61k. I doubt there will be many sales at that high price, unless there are further discounts. I'll keep hoping for a Cross Country version in T8 (V60 or V90), hopefully after they've upped the battery capacity from 10 kWh to 14 kWh or more...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here in Massachusetts, we'd get an additional $1k off
Are you sure? As I understand it the MA EV rebate only applies to vehicles with a purchase price under $50,000, so the V60 T8 would not qualify.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little update. The car has been to the service garage sometimes and they do some kind of “reset” to the batteries or software. This seems to solve the range issue. However some weeks / months later the issue comes back. It shows 39km (or 38) after a full night charge and the range seems less than when it comes from service.
The other day I drove 100km in one trip from full charge to my home, and arrived at home with zero km of range in hybrid mode. In the VoC app the battery usage was -9.3kwh and regen +2.8kwh... so 6.5 kWh of “actual” consumption. This doesn’t seem right for a battery of 11kwh and 9-10kwh of usable battery capacity.
Driving some short trips in the city and adding the trips’ “actual” consumption rates seems to be near 6.5kwh... never near 9 or 10 kWh.
What’s your experience? Do you get higher consumption numbers?
I guess this is some kind of software problem / bug. But they doesn’t seem to get it right...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ive got the V60 T8 Polestar in Canada.

The battery level says range of 37KM, but it's not because of the weather. I've only been able to test it in cold weather since i received the car only a month ago. I drive every day around 25-27KM on battery in this weather. That 25-27KM drive takes me 45 min. I think there are other factors such as the snow and crappy weather I regularly drive in, the heater being on, stop and go traffic, etc. I am understanding that getting the car from a complete stop to say 40KM/H drains a lot. Its the cruising at 60-70KM/H that doesn't use much juice at all.

I am tracking my KM now and putting it into a spreadsheet. I haven't heard of the battery reset. I'll ask about that, but I've never had that kind of range off the get go. I'm happy, I get to work on a single charge, then on my way home it clicks over to the ICE, but it turns off and on as i'm on B mode so as the battery gets more juice it transfers over to the electric drive.

I haven't put gas in the car in 2 weeks, I'm up to 850KM on a single tank. I charge once a day, no charger at work otherwise I could double my range. I run errands during the week in the evening and on weekends so it's not like the car is sitting at home or I'm trying to conserve and save. I charge it probably 2x per day on a Saturday/Sunday when its cheap time and I charge overnight ever night. I've worked out the cost of charging per month to be around $30-40 for our utility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that really cold weather decreases the battery range, not only because of the heater (worse if you have the extra heater turned ON) but because the cold isn’t “good” for the battery.

So, in one day you drain the battery... can you do the maths and add the battery consumption? You can use the Volvo on Call app for tracking every trip in the last 100days . It does the job for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I didn't have the driving journal turned on, but I will enable it now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts