SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 V60 T5 cross country The stock halogen headlights are awful. I ordered a set of Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra bulbs
Not sure how to get the headlight assembly out. Obviously you need to pull the 2 pins on either side. It looks like you also need to
remove the black piece that goes completely across and attaches to the front bumper . Appears this means removing about 10 torx srews(27?)
and the clips. Is this correct?
Also i have read that people have tilted the lights up slightly. They are aimed very low especially the passenger side How is this done?

Thanks...Rob

·
Registered
378 Posts
For removing the headlights just pull the 2 pins and pull the headlight out, if you want to unclip the connector then you can after then you have the whole light out and easier to swap bulbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok silly me! never owned a Volvo before and after the dealer needed to remove the front bumper to replace the hood latch i didn't know what to expect

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you have the halogens, there is a little switch next to your knee as the driver, it will aim the headlights higher or lower.

I recently replaced my bulbs after a Philips Crystal vision blew. It was about 3 years old, so that's pretty good life i suppose. I upgraded to the Diamond Vision in an attempt to match the DRLs. The store was pushing heavily for LED's but im not sure if they are legal here or not.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you have the halogens, there is a little switch next to your knee as the driver, it will aim the headlights higher or lower.
That switch is not on US vehicles; there's some regulation or such here that prohibits in cabin headlight aim adjustment by the driver. Automatic adjustment that the driver has no control over is allowed (I believe mandatory on HID lights) but not a driver adjustment.

On US cars there should be an internal hex ("Allen") fitting on the headlight housing itself to adjust the vertical aim for both halogen and HID housings.

·
Registered
697 Posts
That switch is not on US vehicles; there's some regulation or such here that prohibits in cabin headlight aim adjustment by the driver. Automatic adjustment that the driver has no control over is allowed (I believe mandatory on HID lights) but not a driver adjustment.

On US cars there should be an internal hex ("Allen") fitting on the headlight housing itself to adjust the vertical aim for both halogen and HID housings.
Oh wow, yep sorry for the misinformation. I did not know that.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

On several cars, there are actually manual headlight adjustment switches in the cabin. The STi is one example I am personally aware of. I retrofitted STi OE HID projectors into my WRX headlamp housings (the halogen and HID projectors swapped directly) but never did get the manual leveling motor and switch installed. It was apparently for adjust the height during instances of towing or heavy rear loading of the car. After 2014, the adjustment went automatic with the addition of level sensors.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
But yes, there is a 6 mm hex head on the top of the headlamp that is easily accessible from the engine bay. There are images of the adjustment bolts on the first page in my DIY thread.

·
Registered
722 Posts
On several cars, there are actually manual headlight adjustment switches in the cabin. The STi is one example I am personally aware of. I retrofitted STi OE HID projectors into my WRX headlamp housings (the halogen and HID projectors swapped directly) but never did get the manual leveling motor and switch installed. It was apparently for adjust the height during instances of towing or heavy rear loading of the car. After 2014, the adjustment went automatic with the addition of level sensors.
I know those switches exist in Euro and JDM vehicles (and apparently Australian market vehicles), but to the best of my knowledge they've only been available in the US on vehicles with HID headlights and even then must be set up in such a way that the "default" aim is at the zero point and adjustments can only move the lights down, not up, from the zero point. Essentially, it's legally prohibited from being a true "aiming" system and can only be used to compensate for having extra weight in the trunk. Such lights will also have some form of adjuster on the back of the physical headlight to move the beam up if the zero point on the in-car dial is too low. Basically, when the factory aims HID headlights with such an adjuster, the adjuster is supposed to be set to its highest setting, and the lights aimed at that setting - from there, the in-cabin adjustment wheel can only lower the aim from the factory setting.

Even then, it's only for HIDs, not halogen bulbs in the US.

FMVSS Section 108 (the section governing vehicle lighting) is a morass of horrible US regulations and really needs to be updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts