SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My V60 turned 3 weeks old and will be reaching the 1000 km mark this weekend (right now it has almost 900 on the odo). So far, the car has been perfect, flawless, not a single rattle, very solid feel, the engine feels powerful with a little turbo lag (a bit more than the 5 cyl T5 on my previous V50 at least). Only thing I´ve noticed is the lack of torque with the reverse gear, especially on uneven places just like outside my house (faces downhil). Absolutely love the design of this wagon, hands down the best looking wagon. I really hope Volvo decides to ship some to the US at some point...

Anyway, lets move to load bars and bike carriers. I´ve always had the roof bars installed in my previous volvos with my fork mount bike carriers and I was about to order them for the V60 but now I´m getting second thoughts because they will spoil the terrific looks of the wagon.

Does anybody have pics of a V60 (preferably) or S60 with the load bars and bike carriers? If so do you recommend the Volvo bike carriers (I know they´re just "re-branded" Thule carriers).

My second option is to install the tow hitch / receiver and install the Volvo Bike carrier, which looks very fancy and even has tail lamps. Has anybody gotten this combination? how does it work, is the quality good, pros and cons? Does the hitch receiver look hideous?

Thanks ...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I have an after market (dealer installed) trailer hitch on my S60. I have a cargo tray and bike carrier (non-Volvo) that I use. I think it looks pretty good, the trailer hitch isn't all that noticable and I have a cover plate on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, do you have any pic of the rear end of your car so I could take a look?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Thanks, do you have any pic of the rear end of your car so I could take a look?
Hitch, uncovered

Hitch, uncovered, closeup

Hitch, covered

Hitch, covered closeup

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot! Doesn´t look that bad at all. Mine is being installed at the dealer today, I will pick up the car later in the evening.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up the car yesterday night with the tow hitch installed. I am very pleased with the results, it is totally hidden in the rear diffuser and comes with a cover that hides it completely. When I need to use it I just remove the cover and install the hitch ball and bike carrier.

Will post pics later to show you, for anyone that´s interested.

The bike carrier, as expected, is a Thule built / Volvo branded carrier. I´ve had many Thule bike carriers, some are very good, some are terrible, so I hope this one works fine. Together with these items I also got the rubber mats (awesome and the fit perfect) and a cargo area liner that I loved at first sight because it covers not only the cargo floor but also the sides, so I don´t need to worry about dog messes in the carpeted area (mainly fur and drool).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, the review of the bike carrier... So far thumbs down on the bike carrier, the tow hitch is actually very good. It is this bike carrier:

The thing will break your back, its very heavy, awkwardly shaped, bulky. Its very difficult to put 3 bikes in there, especially double suspension mountain bikes, and the worse part... though it advertises that the bikes can be locked, the only bike that can be locked is the outer most one, so if you only carry one (which according to the manual should be placed in the inner position to balance better the weight) then you can´t lock the bike to the carrier. BIG dissapointment.

In these pics I managed to load my 3 bikes into the carrier. But it took a Master´s in Engineering to figure it out.

I now regrete getting this bulky bike carrier instead of the load bars and fork mount bike carriers... My back is going to be sorry...

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
No roof top carrier for the V60?

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No roof top carrier for the V60?
There are roof top bars and bike carriers, but in a car so sleek as the V60 I just don´t feel it would look right.

Looking at the pics on the other thread, the looks of the S60 with the bars don´t do it for me, even though I´ve had load bars and bike carriers on the top of my cars for over 4 years (including my V40 and V50, in which I loved the looks). The S60/V60 just looks to sleek to spoil it with the bars.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I am not too keen on rear mounted bike racks especially on a car with a very closed rear windshield. It would cut your visibility. I have one on the XC60 I am currently driving (totally different set up from yours) and when it is loaded with 3 bicycles most of my rear view visibility is obstructed.

I like roof top racks. Plus, they look more..."official"! :cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not too keen on rear mounted bike racks especially on a car with a very closed rear windshield. It would cut your visibility. I have one on the XC60 I am currently driving (totally different set up from yours) and when it is loaded with 3 bicycles most of my rear view visibility is obstructed.

I like roof top racks. Plus, they look more..."official"! :cool:
You are totally right Sir. They obstruct the rear visibility, I forgot to mention it as another reason why this bike carrier is a "FAIL"...

I should have gotten the load bars and fork mounted carriers... Maybe I will, if I get tired of carrying this bulky stuff to mount it on the tow hitch every weekend. Now that you mention I have the load bars I removed from the Focus before selling it. I´m going to put them on the V60 just to get a sense of how it would look (not install them, just place them over to see how it looks, since they are not compatible)...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK so just to get a sense on how the V60 would look with the load bars and bike carriers, I put my Focus load bars on the top and took some pics... To my surprise it actually looks good...

This was the second week using the tow hitch bike carrier. It is indeed kind of a PITA to haul in and out of its storage place, but other than that and the reduced visibility to the rear, its fine...

So, what do you think about the looks?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
roof racks kill highway mpg and i dont much like them for interstate travel. just my 2c though

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the wind noise with these "aero" bars from Thule was quite bad when I had them in the Focus. In my old V50 I had the square bars and those were very quiet.

I guess I´ll just assume my mistake and keep using the back breaking heavy bike carrier I bought... or I could just search for another bike carrier that fits into the tow hitch that´s less heavy... at least I now managed to safely fit my mountain bikes in it, so that´s not an issue anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts