SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... dealer had a car and we pulled the trigger. Unexpectedly it has the sport package, with the 19" wheels. Anybody have a feel for how these perform in the pacific northwest winters? Should I buy a second set of wheels at a more reasonable size to fit all season or traction tires on?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The wheels are fine, it the tires you need to consider. I bought a set of Pirelli P7 Plus Cintaurato's and am very happy with them. I increased the tread width by 10 mm's (245/40-19) to add a tad more cushion (increased tire width but keeping the same sidewall aspect ratio will increase the sidewall thickness).

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I did fine with the 19" wheels in last winter with the All-Season (Pirelli P7) tires they came with stock; we got our fair share of snow/ice in NJ last winter. Being that the tires were new the performed great; icy condition were just OK. I still have less than 10k miles on my wagon so the tire tread is still pretty good and should perform very well. By my 3rd winter I plan on completing the set of OEM 18" wheels Ixion wheels that I have been collecting and slapping winter tires on them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just did the same thing Summers Bor 19, winters i went to 18 and a little cushion for the winter roads.As fror the debate about all season or winters if your going out of the city get the winters.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Swapped my Bors out for a 17" set with General Altimax. Money wise it will eventually come out cheaper to have the two sets.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
With temps below 45 degrees, a dedicated winter tires will perform better than an all-season. I am testing out a set of 19-inch Pirelli winter tires now. I ran 18s last year. I am headed to Detroit this weekend, no idea how the weather will be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts