SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone knows, the v60 does not come with the motorized rear hatch. Has anyone replaced the shock with a spring loaded version that will pop open when the button is pressed from inside the car or from the remote?

·
Registered
775 Posts
As everyone knows, the v60 does not come with the motorized rear hatch. Has anyone replaced the shock with a spring loaded version that will pop open when the button is pressed from inside the car or from the remote?
IIRC the button doesn't pop the hatch, it only unlocks it. That goes for both inside and on the key fob.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC the button doesn't pop the hatch, it only unlocks it. That goes for both inside and on the key fob.

I realize it only unlocks it. But after it unlocks, if the rear shock is spring loaded, then the rear hatch should pop up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Same, was kinda surprised it didn’t do it in my v60 but my xc60 does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
775 Posts
The positioning of the prop rods prevents this from being possible. They are positioned in such a way that in the completely closed position they act to actually close the door (if sprung).

So, a sprung prop rod would actually make it harder to open the hatch until swung passed a certain point in it's travel (where the prop rods are actually pushing the door open, rather than closed).

If you look at the XC70 design, they do not use props, but a "track" that is driven by a motor.

·
Registered
720 Posts

I realize it only unlocks it. But after it unlocks, if the rear shock is spring loaded, then the rear hatch should pop up.
He's talking about simply unlocking, not unlatching. Unlocking does not release the latch, it merely allows the handle to be used. Like how unlocking a door doesn't let the door swing open until you actually pull on the latch.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Like was indicated, that has nothing to do with the strut but with the lock mechanism and Volvo's have been like that for a long time. The only ones that open would be if they are motorized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts