SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed V60 now has an option "T6 Drive-E AWD R-Design" . I was waiting for AWD with new engine.

Need to wait now until it gets to local dealers to test drive .

Harsha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Just noticed V60 now has an option "T6 Drive-E AWD R-Design" . I was waiting for AWD with new engine.

Need to wait now until it gets to local dealers to test drive .

Harsha

Most stores should have this car on their lots. I know that all Southern California stores have at least 1 in stock.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Oh - i need to check with local dealers then , I live on the east coast.

Dealers by me already have the XC60RD with the Drive-E motors. I'd be interested in test driving my V60RD with the Drive-E motor and according to an email I got this morning from Polestar they have released the tune for the new Drive-E w/AWD for the US market.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The Polestar optimization for the T6 engine was released today.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I thought that I saw +14 HP for the UK XC90 but only 0.1 seconds 0-60. The I6 3.0 XC60 gains 0.3 seconds which means to me that the upgrade cost is worth it but 0.1 seconds????

·
Registered
112 Posts
Whoooo, hold me back, 4 HP and 22 foot pounnds? Bmo Pete, aren't you glad you (and I) have our sixes?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I thought that I saw +14 HP for the UK XC90 but only 0.1 seconds 0-60. The I6 3.0 XC60 gains 0.3 seconds which means to me that the upgrade cost is worth it but 0.1 seconds????
The gains are all in the mid-range so will have little effect on 0-60. It has been talked about ad nauseum on other threads already and is also specified on the announcement itself..

"Five important areas are optimised in the form of increased mid-range engine performance, faster gearshifts, optimised throttle response, optimised gearshift timing and an off-throttle functionality."

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Whoooo, hold me back, 4 HP and 22 foot pounnds? Bmo Pete, aren't you glad you (and I) have our sixes?
While I am one the biggest proponents of the I6's over the Drive-E, don't be a stats junky. Your V60 RD has only 15ft-lbs less torque than my P* on paper. Want to line up next to me and see what happens?;)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The gains are all in the mid-range so will have little effect on 0-60. It has been talked about ad nauseum on other threads already and is also specified on the announcement itself..

"Five important areas are optimised in the form of increased mid-range engine performance, faster gearshifts, optimised throttle response, optimised gearshift timing and an off-throttle functionality."
Just like the real S60 / V60 Polestar's modifications have little effect on 0-60 when you don't use launch control.

You need to look at graphs of the curve to really get an idea of the how significant the improvements are.

Very interested in seeing those, but a test drive is needed to really feel the difference.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Just like the real S60 / V60 Polestar's modifications have little effect on 0-60 when you don't use launch control.

You need to look at graphs of the curve to really get an idea of the how significant the improvements are.

Very interested in seeing those, but a test drive is needed to really feel the difference.
Agree with everything except your first sentence. There is absolutely an improvement in the 0-60 on the P*'s without using Launch control. The different turbo changes the power delivery and the different tires give better traction leading to improved 0-60 without the need for the launch control. The launch control just furthers the separation.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Agree with everything except your first sentence. There is absolutely an improvement in the 0-60 on the P*'s without using Launch control. The different turbo changes the power delivery and the different tires give better traction leading to improved 0-60 without the need for the launch control. The launch control just furthers the separation.
I didn't say there isn't any improvement, and I should have said engine modifications. The tires, transmission programming, and launch control make a huge difference.

The tune and change in turbo and intercooler have very little effect on zero to sixty. These changes were made to improve reliability of power delivery in various atmospheric conditions and to improve performance at higher speeds with the larger exhaust. Their intentions with the setup are fairly obvious from an academic standpoint, and the test figures support that.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
That tune is really weak compared to the tunes available VAG and BMWs. Why bother making it at all?
Because it's another way to make money. What tune does VAG offer? I know there are plenty of aftermarket tuners, but don't know of any offer by the factory. All of those tunes are just focused on power gains. Very few touch on the other aspects that this does.

I didn't say there isn't any improvement, and I should have said engine modifications. The tires, transmission programming, and launch control make a huge difference.

The tune and change in turbo and intercooler have very little effect on zero to sixty. These changes were made to improve reliability of power delivery in various atmospheric conditions and to improve performance at higher speeds with the larger exhaust. Their intentions with the setup are fairly obvious from an academic standpoint, and the test figures support that.
Okay, this I can agree with. I have just been seeing a bunch of posts from other people saying that the launch control is the only thing that separates the RD and the P* 0-60 which is nonsense.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I have just been seeing a bunch of posts from other people saying that the launch control is the only thing that separates the RD and the P* 0-60 which is nonsense.
That would be almost as myopic as implying that hp and torque are all that matter.

The polestar is not any faster in top gear rolling tests. That might confuse people.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
While I am one the biggest proponents of the I6's over the Drive-E, don't be a stats junky. Your V60 RD has only 15ft-lbs less torque than my P* on paper. Want to line up next to me and see what happens?;)
OK hot dog, you're not exactly wiping the mat with us...LOL

What is the timed difference between the Polestar and RD 0-60 and 1/4 mile? What about without the Polestar's launch control activated? I have not found a side-by-side test anywhere, where both cars are on the same track with the same testing conditions. Do you have this. Don't just rely on Polestar's published times - they have incentive to fudge.

Car and Driver tested the S60 Polestar at a 4.5 sec 0-60 and a 13.1 sec 1/4 mile. They tested the V60 T6 3.0 RD at 4.9 and 13.5 respectively. Add a tenth to the 0-60 and maybe and a couple to the 1/4 time for the S60 P*, to compensate for the added weight of the wagon and compare. Now take the launch control out of the picture. Seems to me you're well within engine production variation and/or driver reaction time margins.

Don't be surprised to see that RD side-by-side with you. ;)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
OK hot dog, you're not exactly wiping the mat with us...LOL
Just like we won't wipe the mat with a 328 or an A4 and just like we have no problem keeping up with a 340i or S4 on the highway

Unless you're drag racing figures like 0-60 and 1/4 mile time are pretty much worthless. So are HP and torque figures.

If you buy a car or a chip tune based on this kind of data, you are making a huge terrible mistake.

I have not found a side-by-side test anywhere, where both cars are on the same track with the same testing conditions.
It seems shockingly hard to get these side-by-side tests lined up, but racing is illegal unless you've got a track. ;)

The big difference between these two cars would come with a professional-grade driver on a road course. You can't power our cars through a turn at their limits - DSTC ruins everything, but Polestar has had the chance to alter the nannyware on their cars and it makes a huge difference. Most of us would never take advantage of this even on a track - you need a lot of experience to have enough competence and confidence to push a car like this's limits. But the Polestar might be more fun for anyone to drive, I wouldn't know yet. :(

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Because it's another way to make money. What tune does VAG offer? I know there are plenty of aftermarket tuners, but don't know of any offer by the factory. All of those tunes are just focused on power gains. Very few touch on the other aspects that this does.

Okay, this I can agree with. I have just been seeing a bunch of posts from other people saying that the launch control is the only thing that separates the RD and the P* 0-60 which is nonsense.
Why is it nonsense? Drag reaction time could easily account for 3-5 tenths. Hell, C&D is only giving the lighter S60 P* 4 tenths 0-60 over the V60 RD. Add another tenth to equalize for the weight and you're well within drag reaction time margin...certainly engine production variance margin.

I don't think I'd be bragging about 3 tenths. :rolleyes: However, I will enjoy my fast yet plush ride on the way home in about 5 minutes. ;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts