SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a variety of questions about V60. For the TLDR crowd, I'll pose them first.

I'm trying to understand the limitations of various configurations, so treat the questions about possibly doing something to my car as hypotheticals. I see no difference between 2015.5 and 2016 that steers me towards 2016. I'm hoping to pick up a lightly used, dealer demo, or leftover 2015/2015.5 V60, if I buy one.

Regarding the mid-year update from 2015 to 2015.5
  • power lumbar - was there no lumbar adjustment in 2015 model? Was it trim dependent or across all 2015 V60 trims no power lumbar?
  • sensus connect - is there any advantage at all to this 2015.5 upgrade if you don't subscribe to their service after the complimentary 6 months?

Regarding individual options...
  • Is it possible to purchase the sport seat as an OEM aftermarket item or is this a dealer-only, at time of purchase type of item? I notice the sport seat was introduced in 2015.5 as standalone option and not an option in 2015. Presuming I found a dealer with a 2015 V60, is there any rule from Volvo preventing them from installing a sport seat? Taking this a step further, would it be possible to install a heated sport seat with power lumbar into a 2015 model? I'm presuming the cables are all there, and the differences are contained within the seat itself. For all I know the sport seat is heated and has power lumbar standard.
  • Is it possible to purchase Xenon headlights aftermarket or OEM and install them myself? Is there anything from Volvo that would restrict a dealer from selling me Xenon option for install in a 2015.5 premier model, even though those were not offered in 2015.5 as standalone. Presumably these were provided as kits, so if they have the kits in stock, wouldn't they want to sell them.
  • Also what is MSRP on sport seat, on Xenon standalone upgrade, and spare tire options?
  • Does Volvo offer their own trailer hitch for the V60? Does anyone know if that is something that I could install at the dealer if I were to lease instead of buy? Would it cause problems with a lease upon trade in at end of term?
  • Are incentives regional or national? What types of incentives is Volvo running right now that would include the V60? And would those include leftover 2015.5s or only 2016 models?
  • Can I lease a CPO? Can I lease a dealer demo sold as new or with an in-service date of 10 months ago? In my opinion, leasing is just another alternative form of financing but I don't know what restrictions are placed on a lease.

By way of introduction . . .

I have been considering an auto upgrade to a more luxury sedan for the past month, due to concerns about my back and my driving posture. I have an '09 Toyota that has been rock solid, virtually maintenance free that I bought new in '08 and has low mileage. It's hard to want to upgrade at all, except it's base model in every way. It has easily 200,000 left on the engine, but I drive less than 1000/month. There's no pressing need for a new car.

After researching extensively, I started considering the Volvo S60. Went in and test drove a 2015.5 leftover T5 at the dealer down the block. I also liked the Buick Regal GS and was looking nationwide for the right price/combination on either of these. Found an excellent deal across the country on an ex-rental 2015.5 S60 T5 premier, and was mulling whether to pull the trigger on Monday. I'm not inclined towards ex-rental, but I'm not opposed as long as it's priced near wholesale.

My local dealer emailed me about V60s after the test drive. I saw them on the lot, but they were otherwise off my radar. I prefer the way that a sedan looks and drives, but something must have worked around in my subconscious because yesterday I spent a rainy day watching football and researching the V60. One thing I liked most about S60 was the drive-E economy+power. The other thing I most liked about the S60 were the sport seats.

I drive limited amounts and driving is not something I relish. Some of that may be due to my boring ride, but I much prefer to get out on the motorcycle if I'm looking for a driving experience. Lightbulb went off and I realized the towing capacity of V60 is something that I could use in my life. I don't much need a family car, but I would be happy to tow a motorcycle out to the desert vs riding it there. So now with 2 reasons why a replacement for my car makes sense, I've nearly convinced myself to spend the money. I plan to have this vehicle from 3-5 years, probably not 10 or 20.

The things I noticed when I did my S60 research over on V60 are:
  1. There are more leftover 2015.5 V60s out there than S60s, at least in Texas. My local dealer is sitting on a nest of them, so should be ready to deal. I'm sure this is why they emailed me about them.
  2. There are very few comparable vehicles being sold
    • subaru would have been an option, but is no longer making anything quite right
    • vw/audi lost my patronage with their fraudulent behavior
    • BMW not on the list because said drivers are consistently the biggest douches on the road and I refuse to be that guy.
  3. The V60, despite having the same engine and cockpit as the S60, is much better reviewed. Not sure why, except the wagon is a press favorite body style and I have to say the V60 is a nice looking vehicle. Someone referred to it as an elongated hatchback, which is about right.

Depreciation curve on V60 is somewhat steep for the first few years. If I scour nationwide and am not picky about colors, I can find a low mileage 2015 premier in the $25000 range and 2015.5 premier in the $28000 range, and 2015.5 platinum in the $34000 range. Those are listed prices before negotiation. I don't have full Manheim access, but I can see 2015.5 V60 premier 11k miles fetched $26500 at auction in past 30 days.

If I buy one with MSRP of $40000 for $30000, am I looking at it being worth $15000 in three years or will that curve flatten out? The sort of depreciation would be an argument in favor of leasing, I'll say that much.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any responses, thoughts, etc.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Great questions. I certainly have no answers, but will be tuned in as I'm looking at snagging either a CPO or new 2015/2015.5 V60 in the next few months my self.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There was lumbar adjustment standard on the 2015 V60, but it was operated manually via a knob on the right side of the driver's seat. Difficult to reach in my opinion when the driver is sitting on the seat. The location of the power lumbar button on the 2015.5 is a heck of a lot easier to access (on the lower left side, close to where the other power seat buttons are located).

Since you currently drive a Toyota, you may want to check the Volvo cars web site to see if the $1,500 conquest bonus applies to your zipcode.

If you want to tow, I suggest at least glancing at the Volvo XC70. It has slightly higher towing rating than the V60, plus the bigger rear windows make it easier to see what's going on behind you.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Regarding the mid-year update from 2015 to 2015.5
  • power lumbar - was there no lumbar adjustment in 2015 model? Was it trim dependent or across all 2015 V60 trims no power lumbar?

• Manual adjustment in MY15 vs power inflatable in MY15.5
    [*]sensus connect - is there any advantage at all to this 2015.5 upgrade if you don't subscribe to their service after the complimentary 6 months?
Not necessarily but I think it is worth subscribing to the Volvo On Call app; it provides many useful features.

Regarding individual options...
  • Is it possible to purchase the sport seat as an OEM aftermarket item or is this a dealer-only, at time of purchase type of item? I notice the sport seat was introduced in 2015.5 as standalone

• It needs to be done at the factory.

option and not an option in 2015. Presuming I found a dealer with a 2015 V60, is there any rule from Volvo preventing them from installing a sport seat?
    How are you going to do this? Each seat is worth at least a thousand dollars plus it has side airbags.

Taking this a step further, would it be possible to install a heated sport seat with power lumbar into a 2015 model?
    I am sure it is possible although not sure what sort of error messages such move would generate.

I'm presuming the cables are all there, and the differences are contained within the seat itself. For all I know the sport seat is heated and has power lumbar standard.
    Lumbar support yes. Heated seats are optional.

[*]Is it possible to purchase Xenon headlights aftermarket or OEM and install them myself? Is there anything from Volvo that would restrict a dealer from selling me Xenon option for install in a 2015.5 premier model, even though those were not offered in 2015.5 as standalone. Presumably these were provided as kits, so if they have the kits in stock, wouldn't they want to sell them.
    OEM would not work. They are Active Bending Lights plus have leveling sensors.

[*]Also what is MSRP on sport seat, on Xenon standalone upgrade, and spare tire options?
    For MY15, the Sport seats came only with the Sport package so no standalone price. The Bi-Xenons were $800 but only if installed at the factory. I am sure the price will be a lot higher if purchased after the fact, through a Volvo retailer. The spare tire is about $350.

For MY15.5, the Bi-Xenons are part of the Platinum package. The Sport seats have an MSRP of $550 but that is if installed at the factory...they will call at least 2x or 3x EACH if purchased through a Volvo retailer.

[*]Does Volvo offer their own trailer hitch for the V60? Does anyone know if that is something that I could install at the dealer if I were to lease instead of buy? Would it cause problems with a lease upon trade in at end of term?
    Unfortunately, in North America, there is no OEM hitch for V60s.

[*]Are incentives regional or national? What types of incentives is Volvo running right now that would include the V60? And would those include leftover 2015.5s or only 2016 models?
    Some regional, some national. For details, contact your local Volvo retailer.

[*]Can I lease a CPO? Can I lease a dealer demo sold as new or with an in-service date of 10 months ago? In my opinion, leasing is just another alternative form of financing but I don't know what restrictions are placed on a lease.
You cannot lease a previously titled car, through VCFS.
By way of introduction . . .

I have been considering an auto upgrade to a more luxury sedan for the past month, due to concerns about my back and my driving posture. I have an '09 Toyota that has been rock solid, virtually maintenance free that I bought new in '08 and has low mileage. It's hard to want to upgrade at all, except it's base model in every way. It has easily 200,000 left on the engine, but I drive less than 1000/month. There's no pressing need for a new car.
Volvo offers a $1,500 Conquest Bonus for Toyota owners deciding to get a new Volvo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Grecian and Makinen5. I am headed into the dealer on Tuesday to talk turkey. Just want to pre-plan.

So, if I understand correctly the sport seats were only included in sport trim level on the 2015 V60 and not at all on 2015.5 but are available optionally and cheaper from the factory, though could be dealer-installed. Bi-Xenon comes either in platinum package or was an option that would have been installed by factory. And presumably good luck finding these options in any car now, which would be one big advantage of going with a 2016.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to tow, I suggest at least glancing at the Volvo XC70. It has slightly higher towing rating than the V60, plus the bigger rear windows make it easier to see what's going on behind you.
I have subzero interest in an XC70 or anything remotely similar. I'd be towing 500lbs including trailer. We're not talking a heavy load nor would it be very much of an obstruction back there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be fair to the XC70, it does remotely resemble the V60 ... but going from sedan to wagon is about as far as I'll take it.

Is this the manual lumbar adjustment on the 2015 edition? Picture is of a 2015 premier plus with sport package. Those are def. sport seats.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
What a strange place to put it. Looks like my 2 year old would have an easier time adjusting it from his car seat then I would :)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
What a strange place to put it. Looks like my 2 year old would have an easier time adjusting it from his car seat then I would :)
It is not that hard; you can easily reach over and turn it to make adjustments. Of course, the pneumatic way (in MY15.5+) is a much better way.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Thanks Grecian and Makinen5. I am headed into the dealer on Tuesday to talk turkey. Just want to pre-plan.

So, if I understand correctly the sport seats were only included in sport trim level on the 2015 V60
Yes.

and not at all on 2015.5 but are available optionally and cheaper from the factory
No, in MY15.5, they are included either when you choose the Sport package or you can order them as a standalone option, without having to order the Sport package. Sport package is $1000 and includes 19" wheels plus sport suspension,

though could be dealer-installed
I am sure a dealer can install them but be prepared to pay thousands.

Bi-Xenon comes either in platinum package or was an option that would have been installed by factory.
In MY15, Bi-Xenons were a standalone option no matter what the trim level was (Premier or Platinum) unless you went for an R-design (standard).

And presumably good luck finding these options in any car now, which would be one big advantage of going with a 2016.
Piece of advice; go for a MY15.5. ;)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the new, very elegant rimless rearview mirror in the 2015.5 models. For owners with good design sensibility, it is almost worth the price of admission alone. :)

As regards Sensus Connect, it is still very much a work in progress. At this point in time, some fifteen months after launch, the AT&T 3G Internet connectivity is still very slow and unreliable, as I have complained in several previous threads. Volvo has tacitly extended the six-month trial subscription indefinitely until such time as they can get it working properly, but there seems to have been little progress made in over a year. It is potentially a far better technology than Sensus 3.0 in the 2015 models, if and when Volvo and AT&T can make it wholly functional. The nav system is also buggy, and the last software upgrade in April actually made it worse rather than better. As a long-time Volvo owner, I have become more or less resigned to these not-infrequent bumps on the infotainment superhighway. :(

In summary, however, I would completely agree with GV: go for the 2015.5 model and hope that improvement is just one software upgrade ahead.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Test drove sport seats today. I'm by no means a heavyset man, but felt constricted. The thigh bolstering seemed OK at first and didn't bother me so much, but my upper back was out of sorts by the end of a short ride and I adjusted everything repeatedly. Maybe that's why :mad:

That's why you test drive, right? I quite like the normal leather seats just fine.

Did not like the stiffness of the sport suspension on 19" rims. Followed up with a shorter ride on 17" rims in normal leather seats, which to me was much more smooth. The steering and the suspension are better matched with a little float and less stiffness.

Apparently some early 2015.5 vehicles did not get the power lumbar adjustment. Is that true? I saw it for myself, so must be true.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Apparently some early 2015.5 vehicles did not get the power lumbar adjustment. Is that true? I saw it for myself, so must be true.
Although I have an early 2015 I heard that is the case for the early .5 also. The manual lumbar adjust, once adjusted, doesn't need adjusted anymore, so a power lumbar adjust would go wasted on me, but as usual, YMMV...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
First I have heard of that. The older of my two V60s was one of the first 2015.5 models to arrive, in July of 2014, and it was equipped with the power lumbar adjustment. However, I would have to agree with Rick that, once I set the lumbar adjustment, be it manual or power, after I take delivery, I just leave it as is and don't bother to readjust it thereafter. The advantage of the power adjustment is more apparent than real for me.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
First I have heard of that. The older of my two V60s was one of the first 2015.5 models to arrive, in July of 2014, and it was equipped with the power lumbar adjustment. However, I would have to agree with Rick that, once I set the lumbar adjustment, be it manual or power, after I take delivery, I just leave it as is and don't bother to readjust it thereafter. The advantage of the power adjustment is more apparent than real for me.
I concur...I have never seen a MY15.5 without power lumbar support.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Depreciation curve on V60 is somewhat steep for the first few years. If I scour nationwide and am not picky about colors, I can find a low mileage 2015 premier in the $25000 range and 2015.5 premier in the $28000 range, and 2015.5 platinum in the $34000 range. Those are listed prices before negotiation. I don't have full Manheim access, but I can see 2015.5 V60 premier 11k miles fetched $26500 at auction in past 30 days.

If I buy one with MSRP of $40000 for $30000, am I looking at it being worth $15000 in three years or will that curve flatten out? The sort of depreciation would be an argument in favor of leasing, I'll say that much.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any responses, thoughts, etc.
Only thing I would add to the discussion is that yes, the depreciation curve does flatten a bit after the first few years. You may lose 50% of the value in the first 5 years and then the rest of it's useful life (another 10 or 15 years?) for the balance. I have bought both new and used Volvo's over the years and you do pay a premium for getting a new one with no miles and exactly the way you want it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a longtime Subaru Outback XT owner, the V60CC is the best replacement I could find. Albeit much more expensive and heavier, but also much more refined. Close to the same dimensions to the 2005 -2009 Outback before the bloat and lack of turbo set in. (2005 3,300, 2016 3,600 +300lbs). That got me to move away. (But I did get into a Cadillac ATS for 2 years which was a great car, small, fast and nimble but LOW!!).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only thing I would add to the discussion is that yes, the depreciation curve does flatten a bit after the first few years. You may lose 50% of the value in the first 5 years and then the rest of it's useful life (another 10 or 15 years?) for the balance. I have bought both new and used Volvo's over the years and you do pay a premium for getting a new one with no miles and exactly the way you want it.
Based on what I'm seeing, the depreciation curve is far steeper. Using MSRP, 2 years to 50% seems about average, 3 years if you negotiate and take advantage of incentives to get out the door at a discount. Edmunds calculates total 5-yr depreciation for a Volvo S60 of $21,501 on a $34,890 MSRP, which I believe means that after 5-years your vehicle will be expected to be worth $13,389 or your car has lost 62% of its value in that time. From there, most surely the curve flattens out over the course of the remaining life, but still . . . I doubt Hondas, Toyotas or Mercedes have such a steep 5-year curve. Actually, my corolla is still worth more than 50% of what I paid after 7 years.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As a longtime Subaru Outback XT owner, the V60CC is the best replacement I could find. Albeit much more expensive and heavier, but also much more refined.
Not having to live with the Subaru CVT is a huge bonus. Not everyone thinks a vehicle should be fun to drive and those people are buying current model Subarus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts