SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just ordered a 16 V60 T5 Drive E Platnuim with BLIS and climate package. This is my first Volvo, but not my first euro. I have had the following:

3 Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattros
1 Audi V8 Quattro
1 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
1 UrS4 (built to the hilt, 42r turbo all the go fast junk)
1 MK4 Golf TDi GLS
1 MK6 Golf TDi
1 MK6 Jetta Sportwagen TDi
1 2015 Suabru Outback 2,5limited w/eyesight (which I traded in for the V60), and not a euro.

I have also had a lot of seat time in a 93 850glt wagon, which I loved, and has left a soft spot in my heart for these cars ever since.

But, this Volvo thing is still new to me. I put a lot of miles on every year for work, so having a comfortable car with lots of creature comforts is important. My 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi was great, but it was time for a change (178,000miles) , so I bought the Outback. What garbage. Driving 20minutes seems like 3hrs, worst seat ever, handles terrible, cheap, slow, loud, poor mpg (I'd love to know where the 34mpg came from?). Love the eyesight and auto climate control though.

Hopefully, this was a good buy. I read a lot of trash talking about these cars, but I guess you never know unless you try. A good friend of mine has a bunch of Volvos (c30, v50, s40) and he can't say enough good about these vehicles, and he has a bunch of miles on them.

FYI, the adaptive cruise on the 16 60 series is better than the Suabru eyesight system.

·
Registered
510 Posts
From your list, seem like a Forester would have suited you more. Congrats on the V60, it's a smaller ride but lower and handles better than the Outback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Congrats and welcome to swedespeed!

I just crossed over 18,000 miles in my V60 in the first 11 months of ownership. It has exceeded my expectations and is extremely comfortable on long (8hr+ drives).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From your list, seem like a Forester would have suited you more. Congrats on the V60, it's a smaller ride but lower and handles better than the Outback.

Not for nothing. I will never own another Subaru again. I was looking at the 16 Touareg TDi's, but I really don't want something that big. The V60 was very similar to the Jetta Sportwagen I had in regards to size. Also, AWD is not a concern of mine. I did just fine with 4 snows on my previous VW's in our western New York winters.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I see that you placed an order for one, if you have time I would suggest you get the Sport seats ($500 option) and best option you can get, especially if you want the most comfortable, supportive seats! Best of luck with your purchase, I have 8k miles and 1yr of ownership and I love my V60RD!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on your purchase! I see that you placed an order for one, if you have time I would suggest you get the Sport seats ($500 option) and best option you can get, especially if you want the most comfortable, supportive seats! Best of luck with your purchase, I have 8k miles and 1yr of ownership and I love my V60RD!

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
I test drove a s60 inscription with the sport seats. Yes, they were awesome, but I can see the side bolsters wearing out down the road. I also drove a 15.5 V60 with the stock seats, they were leaps and bounds ahead of the seats in my 15 outback. Also, better than the seats in my 11 Jetta Sportwagen.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ yep, 0% I ordered the car this past Wednesday, and should have it this coming week.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Congrats and welcome!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome! As somebody who drives a ton of miles as well I can say that the 60 series cars are well suited for that purpose. The only thing I run into is some leg fatigue, but I have long legs, so that problem is hard to avoid no matter what car I drive!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a question. Will my v1 radar detector work with this car? It goes off whenever certian Volvo, Mazda or Infinity's come at me. The laser warning goes off, i'd guess due to collision avoidance systems. How about the adaptive cruise control? Is this done by radar or what? GM and certian Audi's set my v1 off like crazy (X band) due to their blind spot monitoring systems and whatever other accident avoidance systems they have. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I have a V1 in my V60. I turn off the laser detection as City Safety will always trigger it, even if I turn off City Safety (it's always active to a degree).

ACC and BLIS do not trigger detection on the remaining enabled V1 bands. Those use radar for their operation.

Not having laser detection isn't that big of a deal. If you are being hit by laser it's usually already too late to correct your speed. Now you can block laser, but that depends if it's legal to do so in your state.

V1 works fine for me in CA, as the CHP use mostly Ka band or get you from pacing behind or from above in the air. And I take it easy on the secondary streets. Too much traffic anyways there. Just be situationally aware of where you are driving. :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a V1 in my V60. I turn off the laser detection as City Safety will always trigger it, even if I turn off City Safety (it's always active to a degree).

ACC and BLIS do not trigger detection on the remaining enabled V1 bands. Those use radar for their operation.

Not having laser detection isn't that big of a deal. If you are being hit by laser it's usually already too late to correct your speed. Now you can block laser, but that depends if it's legal to do so in your state.

V1 works fine for me in CA, as the CHP use mostly Ka band or get you from pacing behind or from above in the air. And I take it easy on the secondary streets. Too much traffic anyways there. Just be situationally aware of where you are driving. :)
Thank you for the info sir!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I also turn laser off on my V1 in the V60, but will enable it in the C30. Have only ever had falsies with laser anyway... Also have tweaked it on some of the other settings to quiet it down here in the Tampa metro area. Biggest threat is LEO sneaking up on you from behind, so watch those mirrors. Keep an eye on on the slow lane--also a bad idea to zip by a guy hanging out there...YMMV.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

I also turn laser off on my V1 in the V60, but will enable it in the C30. Have only ever had falsies with laser anyway... Also have tweaked it on some of the other settings to quiet it down here in the Tampa metro area. Biggest threat is LEO sneaking up on you from behind, so watch those mirrors. Keep an eye on on the slow lane--also a bad idea to zip by a guy hanging out there...YMMV.
+1

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you guys hard wire your V1's in? If you did, what are you tapping into? I've always wired mine in, just curious if there is a certian source you tap into that's easy to get to ect,?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I bought an invisicord and tapped into the moonroof motor harness that is above the roof console.

http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=59

24", standard, with fuse

There are some Swedespeed threads about how to remove that console cover and which wires to tap into. I tapped the thick red & black wires which are always on. There is some other wire that is switched. I can't remember the thread on that. I mounted my V1 Connection dongle on the back of the console cover with double sided tape.

I mounted my V1 below the mirror with a blend mount. They are very solid yet lightweight.

https://store.blendmount.com/mobile...omirror-id-vol-002specialty-series-p2769.aspx

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Did you guys hard wire your V1's in? If you did, what are you tapping into? I've always wired mine in, just curious if there is a certian source you tap into that's easy to get to ect,?
No I didnt. I have never been a fan of tapping into stock wiring. I have used an add-a-fuse device in the past but I couldnt find a suitable ground near the fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side. I just got an extra long cord and plugged it into the back socket. Never have anyone in the backseat so it doesnt bother us.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
But, this Volvo thing is still new to me. I put a lot of miles on every year for work, so having a comfortable car with lots of creature comforts is important. My 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi was great, but it was time for a change (178,000miles) , so I bought the Outback. What garbage. Driving 20minutes seems like 3hrs, worst seat ever, handles terrible, cheap, slow, loud, poor mpg (I'd love to know where the 34mpg came from?). Love the eyesight and auto climate control though.

Hopefully, this was a good buy. I read a lot of trash talking about these cars, but I guess you never know unless you try. A good friend of mine has a bunch of Volvos (c30, v50, s40) and he can't say enough good about these vehicles, and he has a bunch of miles on them.

FYI, the adaptive cruise on the 16 60 series is better than the Suabru eyesight system.
Congrats and welcome! Too funny about the Subie! Ya know ya can't go Euro for years then be satisfied with Fuji Industries tin can crap. ;)

You'll be happy with the Volvo. The interior's not spot on perfect with the tolerances and finishes like most German cars, but it's quite good and solid. The T5-e is thrashier at higher RPM's than any Vdub product's 2.0t FSI, but you've been in diesels and Subies for a bit, so you won't mind this engine.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts

The Forester loaner I drove a few years back seemed very cheaply put together including a horrible interior with cheap hard plastics and coloration mismatches. The engine was quite a growling angry little monster, with little output to show for all that racket. Maybe they've improved?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts