SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
V60 - Light on RH side of luggage compartment - Retrofit

Since I got the car back in July, always wondered why there was no lights in the cargo area. Yes, there is one in the tailgate but when open light is directed to the ground instead of inside and pretty much useless. Quite disappointing. Even my GF cheapo Hyundai Accent has better lighting in the trunk.

While checking online reviews for the Polestar, I came across this picture (2017 Polestar). Notice the light on the right hand side :

I then checked in EWD to get some more details.

The parts catalogue does shows that RH side panel is offered in versions with or without an hole for the lamp. With this information in hand, I decided to pull it apart to check if the wiring was already in place for this lamp like it was for all the other retrofits that I made so far.

And yes, the connector was indeed sitting there, in his own little foam pouch, taped to the rear harness. Plugged the lamp (PN 1286317) to test that the feature was enabled and bingo ! Light !

I then removed the side panel in order to cut a hole for the lamp. The panel does not feature an outline of the lamp location so I had to make one trying to match the original location as close as possible. Checked the website of a Swedish spare part supplier for PN 39849231 and used it as a reference. Made a cut with a knife. Plastic is relatively thick (4mm) but was not too hard to do. Started with a smaller hole and made it larger until fit was snug.

Plug the lamp and reassemble. End result (in daylight):

The most difficult part of the job is removing all the inside trim pieces. It was cold outside and I broke quite a few retaining clips. From experience on various brands I know that they are easy to break but it was a carnage... I think low temperature made the plastic brittle or too hard. Next time I play with plastic trim pieces, I'll wait for milder Spring temperatures. A picture of those little &??%$ buggers :

Will have to order a few to replace (less than $1.80 each).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How can I edit the thread title so I can correct my typo ?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Since I got the car back in July, always wondered why there was no lights in the cargo area. Yes, there is one in the tailgate but when open light is directed to the ground instead of inside and pretty much useless. Quite disappointing. Even my GF cheapo Hyundai Accent has better lighting in the trunk.

While checking online reviews for the Polestar, I came across this picture (2017 Polestar). Notice the light on the right hand side :

I then checked in EWD to get some more details.

The parts catalogue does shows that RH side panel is offered in versions with or without an hole for the lamp. With this information in hand, I decided to pull it apart to check if the wiring was already in place for this lamp like it was for all the other retrofits that I made so far.

And yes, the connector was indeed sitting there, in his own little foam pouch, taped to the rear harness. Plugged the lamp (PN 1286317) to test that the feature was enabled and bingo ! Light !

I then removed the side panel in order to cut a hole for the lamp. The panel does not feature an outline of the lamp location so I had to make one trying to match the original location as close as possible. Checked the website of a Swedish spare part supplier for PN 39849231 and used it as a reference. Made a cut with a knife. Plastic is relatively thick (4mm) but was not too hard to do. Started with a smaller hole and made it larger until fit was snug.

Plug the lamp and reassemble. End result (in daylight):

The most difficult part of the job is removing all the inside trim pieces. It was cold outside and I broke quite a few retaining clips. From experience on various brands I know that they are easy to break but it was a carnage... I think low temperature made the plastic brittle or too hard. Next time I play with plastic trim pieces, I'll wait for milder Spring temperatures. A picture of those little &??%$ buggers :

Will have to order a few to replace (less than $1.80 each).
Nice job. Tbh i don't think there's enough light in there anyway but that's subjective.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Kudos for the detailed write up.. but a lot of work for one little light. But no doubt useful.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cool find, thanks for sharing. Wonder why Volvo decided not to have this additional light back there.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A picture at night. Enough light to make an huge difference. Well worth the 1h30 it took IMO.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn i want what light in the trunk. Guessing it cant be done in a V60 MY12?
I only have the American market EWD (Wiring diagrams) so can't check. You'll have to remove the panel to check for the connector.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Went to the scrapyard today to check out a V60 MY11, thhat one did not have it. Another MY16 did have it. Starting to Think this is fråm 2014 and forwards.

I have two of thoose led lamps now so maybe i install them and take wires from the original wiring :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to the scrapyard today to check out a V60 MY11, thhat one did not have it. Another MY16 did have it. Starting to Think this is fråm 2014 and forwards.

I have two of thoose led lamps now so maybe i install them and take wires from the original wiring :)
Depends on the trim level. Personally, I only saw it on the 2017 Polestar in the picture.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still need help on how to edit the thread title:facepalm:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Still need help on how to edit the thread title:facepalm:
Thats most likely why I could not find this info when I did a search.
Hence I started a new thread.
But your information is Spot On! Thanks mate!

·
Registered
603 Posts
@stef: based on the fact you stripped all the plastic and the time you spent, I think I will use the loom wire and create a second light on the exact opposite side

My idea comes from your picture where you can see only one side and the fact I used to do the same in all my car. Pretty sure the fuse can absorb a 2nd lamp on the same wire... or I will have to upgrade the fuse too ^^

·
Registered
51 Posts
@stef: based on the fact you stripped all the plastic and the time you spent, I think I will use the loom wire and create a second light on the exact opposite side

My idea comes from your picture where you can see only one side and the fact I used to do the same in all my car. Pretty sure the fuse can absorb a 2nd lamp on the same wire... or I will have to upgrade the fuse too ^^
Keep us up to date if you do this mod TnoV60.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Keep us up to date if you do this mod TnoV60.
of course...probably end of this month since I am going to Seattle and will have time to do it ^^

@Stef1: any recommendation to unmount quickly and easily all the plastics?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
603 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts