SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am interested in upgrading the exhaust system on my 2015 Volvo V60 T5 (2.5L). I've been scouring the Internet, but not finding much. Any recommendations for relatively inexpensive options that will fit? I'm mostly interested in the enhanced sound more than the performance gain.

·
Registered
2011 s60 t6 AWD
59 Posts
Probably your best option budget wise is going to be custom. I did a quick search online, found a small family owned business, and had them do mine. Volvos already use some decent metal under the car and have mandrel bent exhausts, so buying a whole aftermarket part isnt going to get you much gains. I have the t6 motor, but it is a similar process for the t5. They cut out my resonator, replaced it with a y-pipe, and replaced the stock muffler with a flowmaster. The car has some really nice bass tones in the low rpms, but is not crazy loud higher in the rpms. Because it is a turbo car, it will be quieter than a NA motor. With the rez delete, and the stock muffler replacement, its enough to smile but not wake the neighbors.

So anyways, my advice is to get a quote from a mom & pop shop.

Edit: Had mine done for $300 even

·
Administrator
55,910 Posts
I have the Borla system from Elevate on my 5cyl and it has a great sound. Its not 'inexpensive' but the quality is high.

Reactions: WollyWagon

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am interested in upgrading the exhaust system on my 2015 Volvo V60 T5 (2.5L). I've been scouring the Internet, but not finding much. Any recommendations for relatively inexpensive options that will fit? I'm mostly interested in the enhanced sound more than the performance gain.
There are multiple paths that you can do for exhaust. You can go with a full system, you can go with a "custom" delete of some sort, or you can go with a downpipe, or all of them.

There are a couple of systems that are available, theres the IPD system, the ELEVATE system, the BORLA system, the Snabb system and there is the KT4 system. The IPD one has some nice depth to it, but still keeps it nice and quiet. The ELEVATE one, is a louder/raspier sounding exhaust system, and Borla one is the same. I don't really know enough about the other two to tell you valuable information about them.

Now for a custom delete of some sort, you can do a muffler delete, resonator delete or cat delete. Now unless you are really looking for noise, I don't recommend deleting the muffler. The muffler on the P3's is big, and it does a lot, by deleting it, you can cause an increase in noise and some drone at higher speeds. If you are looking for some raspier tone to it, and not a big increase in noise, I recommend you delete the resonator. Surprisingly, when you delete the resonator, it doesn't increase the drone. Unless you are looking for a fartcan type sound, I do not recommend that you delete the cat.

Now for downpipes, there is an IPD one, KT4, and Ferrita. The IPD one is a great catted option, if you are not looking for a massive increase in noise, get the IPD one. The KT4 downpipe, in an amazing downpipe!! I have it on my XC60, and I highly highly recommended. The KT4 one comes catted, and catless. If you are looking for LOUD, get the catless one. Depending on where you are located, the Ferrita one might be the best option. The Ferrita downpipe comes straight from Sweden, and very very $$$ due to the all the shipping and the manufacturing from Sweden. People have said that the Ferrita downpipe is a very loud downpipe, and that it comes catless

Reactions: Ipso and WollyWagon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably your best option budget wise is going to be custom. I did a quick search online, found a small family owned business, and had them do mine. Volvos already use some decent metal under the car and have mandrel bent exhausts, so buying a whole aftermarket part isnt going to get you much gains. I have the t6 motor, but it is a similar process for the t5. They cut out my resonator, replaced it with a y-pipe, and replaced the stock muffler with a flowmaster. The car has some really nice bass tones in the low rpms, but is not crazy loud higher in the rpms. Because it is a turbo car, it will be quieter than a NA motor. With the rez delete, and the stock muffler replacement, its enough to smile but not wake the neighbors.

I feel like this might be the best option for me, I just need to find a similar shop that is willing to do the work. The one that I went to was reluctant to attempt any modifications because they were not familiar with Volvos.

Could I ask for an audio sample of your exhaust for reference please?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Borla system from Elevate on my 5cyl and it has a great sound. Its not 'inexpensive' but the quality is high.

I looked at this one, but I just can't justify the price commitment. I've heard a few samples of it on YouTube and it sounds pretty nice, however I think I want something a little more subtle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are multiple paths that you can do for exhaust. You can go with a full system, you can go with a "custom" delete of some sort, or you can go with a downpipe, or all of them.

There are a couple of systems that are available, theres the IPD system, the ELEVATE system, the BORLA system, the Snabb system and there is the KT4 system. The IPD one has some nice depth to it, but still keeps it nice and quiet. The ELEVATE one, is a louder/raspier sounding exhaust system, and Borla one is the same. I don't really know enough about the other two to tell you valuable information about them.

Now for a custom delete of some sort, you can do a muffler delete, resonator delete or cat delete. Now unless you are really looking for noise, I don't recommend deleting the muffler. The muffler on the P3's is big, and it does a lot, by deleting it, you can cause an increase in noise and some drone at higher speeds. If you are looking for some raspier tone to it, and not a big increase in noise, I recommend you delete the resonator. Surprisingly, when you delete the resonator, it doesn't increase the drone. Unless you are looking for a fartcan type sound, I do not recommend that you delete the cat.

Now for downpipes, there is an IPD one, KT4, and Ferrita. The IPD one is a great catted option, if you are not looking for a massive increase in noise, get the IPD one. The KT4 downpipe, in an amazing downpipe!! I have it on my XC60, and I highly highly recommended. The KT4 one comes catted, and catless. If you are looking for LOUD, get the catless one. Depending on where you are located, the Ferrita one might be the best option. The Ferrita downpipe comes straight from Sweden, and very very $$$ due to the all the shipping and the manufacturing from Sweden. People have said that the Ferrita downpipe is a very loud downpipe, and that it comes catless
I like the idea of the resonator delete and possibly doing an aftermarket muffler for my Volvo. Do you think the car would be better suited with the original or an aftermarket muffler? I was thinking a Magnaflow (12265), Borla (40477), a similar Flowmaster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Which Flowmaster muffler did you have installed?

·
Registered
2011 s60 t6 AWD
59 Posts
Which Flowmaster muffler did you have installed?
Not sure of the exact model, but you should install a bit of trust int owhatever shop you choose to go with. Dont be afraid to tell them exactly what kind of sound you want.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volvo/comments/m8tmno
Yours will sound different than mine. You have a 2.5l 5 cylinder turbo, I have a 3.0l 6 cylinder turbo. Most people say the 5 cylinder sounds better, but dont get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with the sound of my s60. That goldilocks sweetspot of loud enough to smile upon, and the neighbors love it too. The camera wont do it justice really.

As for the reluctant shop, mine told me something similar. Told me they dont get to work on many volvos, and it was only their 2nd time working on a t6 motor. Long story short, Volvo tried to make luxury cars with power. They hid all these sounds because it was supposed to be luxury. Its really hard to get a bad sound to come from these motors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure of the exact model, but you should install a bit of trust int owhatever shop you choose to go with. Dont be afraid to tell them exactly what kind of sound you want.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volvo/comments/m8tmno
Yours will sound different than mine. You have a 2.5l 5 cylinder turbo, I have a 3.0l 6 cylinder turbo. Most people say the 5 cylinder sounds better, but dont get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with the sound of my s60. That goldilocks sweetspot of loud enough to smile upon, and the neighbors love it too. The camera wont do it justice really.

As for the reluctant shop, mine told me something similar. Told me they dont get to work on many volvos, and it was only their 2nd time working on a t6 motor. Long story short, Volvo tried to make luxury cars with power. They hid all these sounds because it was supposed to be luxury. Its really hard to get a bad sound to come from these motors.
That sounds amazing, thank you. I think both engines sound awesome when tuned like yours. I like that it's just loud enough to enjoy, but doesn't wake the dead. Well done. Perhaps I will go back to the place that and see if I can't persuade the dude to give this a try.

·
Registered
2011 s60 t6 AWD
59 Posts
That sounds amazing, thank you. I think both engines sound awesome when tuned like yours. I like that it's just loud enough to enjoy, but doesn't wake the dead. Well done. Perhaps I will go back to the place that and see if I can't persuade the dude to give this a try.
Thanks! Although, its not tuned, just have the exhaust done and intake done (not done at the time the video was taken) lol. If a shop turned you down, id be a bit hesitant to go back. Maybe thats just me. Take a trip to a few different shops. Find the one you feel you can put your trust into. If theres one close by, Try to find a Exhaust shop, not just a regular mechanic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Although, its not tuned, just have the exhaust done and intake done (not done at the time the video was taken) lol. If a shop turned you down, id be a bit hesitant to go back. Maybe thats just me. Take a trip to a few different shops. Find the one you feel you can put your trust into. If theres one close by, Try to find a Exhaust shop, not just a regular mechanic
Maybe not, but that's my kind of tune :) I be sure to post updates moving forward. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright folks, getting a magnaflow muffler installed today at a not-so-local exhaust shop (turns out they are harder to find than I thought). Will update later with the results.

·
Registered
260 Posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volvo/comments/m8tmno Long story short, Volvo tried to make luxury cars with power. They hid all these sounds because it was supposed to be luxury. Its really hard to get a bad sound to come from these motors.
My V60 Polestar sounds pretty mean when in sport mode; electrically operated valves meaning rear silencers bypassed !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

1 - 15 of 15 Posts