SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Quick question. We bought our 2015 V60 Drive-E last summer/fall.
Car was a loaner car from a local dealership before being sold.
Previous owners had all their service done by the same dealership.
I did an oil change about 2 months ago with the kit from IPD (Total Quartz
0w-20. Prior to this change the car didn't need even topped off until
about 1000 miles to needing service. Now it seems like I'm needing to add
about 1/4 quart a week. Any advice here? I don't see any signs of a leak.

Thanks!
Brady

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Hey All,

Quick question. We bought our 2015 V60 Drive-E last summer/fall.
Car was a loaner car from a local dealership before being sold.
Previous owners had all their service done by the same dealership.
I did an oil change about 2 months ago with the kit from IPD (Total Quartz
0w-20. Prior to this change the car didn't need even topped off until
about 1000 miles to needing service. Now it seems like I'm needing to add
about 1/4 quart a week. Any advice here? I don't see any signs of a leak.

Thanks!
Brady
You'll see another thread on this. The 15's and early 16s have a tendency to burn due to bad rings (ring design was changed I believe). So they'll start you off by having you come in and monitor the oil usage. Then, I believe a new breather box, and if that doesn't solve then new piston rings.....

So if you are in warranty, take to dealer PRONTO. If not, you might consider getting a warranty, playing coy, and then if this issue gets worse taking it in for diagnostic and repair. Breather box wouldn't be covered...but rings / engine would.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Breather box is only certain engines. And it might be covered by an extended warranty. Just because one member had to buy one because they had a powertrain only warranty doesn't mean that applies to everyone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not under warranty. Just odd that I had zero need to top the car off for 10k, and now I'm needing to add a splash every week.

I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Breather box is only certain engines. And it might be covered by an extended warranty. Just because one member had to buy one because they had a powertrain only warranty doesn't mean that applies to everyone.
OP has a v60 Drive-E. Does the breather box issue only apply to certain serial numbered engines?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me know on that and where to look for the SN on the engine. I'll check it out when my wife gets home.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Yes, the bulletin says the ECM software needs to be updated first and if the serial number is before 001171576, oil trap 31430923 needs to be installed.

Serial number is on a sticker on the oil trap, under the engine cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So, I'm assuming this is me:

I'm also assuming this is the part:

I'll call the local dealership this week and see if they will get my wife in for the ECM software update. I'm also planning to do another oil change soon. What do you all use? Did I rear that you guys prefer Castrol?

Somewhat related, but does anyone make a catchcan setup for these cars? There is zero aftermarket, and I'm pretty surprised.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Yep, that's you.

Also, your engine does fall into the range with the old rings.
Can't remember, I probably asked you this before, but has Volvo determined what actually causes old style rings to fail? And what conditions they are most likely to fail under?

I.E. If someone drives to 100,000 miles without a problem, does this put them in the clear? Or could this easily show up at 105,000 when warranty (CPO / Extended) ends?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've speculated before about it. I would assume Volvo has determined what causes the rings to lead to oil consumption since they redesigned them. They don't just randomly decide to redesign pistons and rings for no reason.

I don't know how many are out there with 100k miles so that book is still being written.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've speculated before about it. I would assume Volvo has determined what causes the rings to lead to oil consumption since they redesigned them. They don't just randomly decide to redesign pistons and rings for no reason.

I don't know how many are out there with 100k miles so that book is still being written.
Didn't know if Volvo provided techs with the "technical explanation" on why a redesign was necessary as to inform customers.

I'd say 100,000 miles is going to be popping up here for many 15.5 owners. My 15.5 was manufactured July 2014, put into service June 2015. So assuming someone bought a Brand New 15.5, they now have 5 years of ownership.

Federal Highway Administration says men 35-54 average 18,858 per year. So that'd be around 90,000 after 5 years.

Guess my concern.... And probably many other's alike... I have a warranty until 2022 or 100K, whichever comes first....Hoping we don't have a rash of 15-16 owners hitting triple digits, and find out their engine needs piston rings after warranties expire. FYI... My services are all dealership til prob 80 or 90K. Won't make 100K since my car had 1 year of in service and I do about 14-15,000 miles / yr.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Pure speculation here, but I'd imagine if you haven't had an issue in 100,000 miles then you're likely fine.

This week I'm putting an engine in one with about 70k. But the problems started occurring around 52k. They got pistons done at another dealer and now they are getting an engine.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Pure speculation here, but I'd imagine if you haven't had an issue in 100,000 miles then you're likely fine.

This week I'm putting an engine in one with about 70k. But the problems started occurring around 52k. They got pistons done at another dealer and now they are getting an engine.
Still bit worrisome this isn't a beginning of life problem. Issue starting at 52K meaning vehicle at least 3-4 yrs old when it appeared. And course now at 70K, it needs an engine.

What happened between 52K ---> 70K causing engine to fail vs simply needing new piston rings?

Light reading... on what happened to Honda for same issue.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20131022/OEM11/131029975/american-honda-settles-class-action-suit-over-oil-burning-claim

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Perhaps there was scoring in a cylinder that was missed when the rings were done, or the rings were not installed correctly. We'll never know.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Perhaps there was scoring in a cylinder that was missed when the rings were done, or the rings were not installed correctly. We'll never know.
Ugh. So does Volvo use a brand new engine or rebuilt Engine when these things happen?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
That sounds awfully thin, like a winter or even arctic oil. I don't have my manual in front of me, but I thought the recommended oil was 5W-30.
Yeah, 0w-20?? Never seen that before. 5W-30 is recommended per the manual.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts