SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I come to you because I noticed a problem on my 2012 V60 D5 AWD which totals 230Mkm, I have my level of coolant which fluctuates enormously.

I find myself with an extremely low level in my expansion tank (see photo below)

And when I open the expansion tank, I see and I hear the air decompression in the circuit and the coolant goes up to the level!

I have driven 2800km lately on these last 15 days and I had 2 alerts "high engine temperature please slow down" when I tapped in on German highway without limitation, usually it does not heat but there it worries me, the coolant is clear

I'm waiting for your opinion

thank you in advance

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is it possible the thermostat is not working properly? Maybe stuck closed or not opening enough?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
That almost sounds to me like there's an air bubble in your coolant. Water is not compressible and while the coolant does expand when hot it should not go from below the the min mark to above the max when you release the pressure. This suggests that there is a bubble of compressible air somewhere in the system.

The source of the trapped air is potentially a problem... If you have not recently drained and refilled the coolant then the most likely source of an air bubble, in my limited experience, is a failing head gasket allowing combustion gases into the coolant passages. Note that it is absolutely possible to have a head gasket leak combustion gases into the coolant WITHOUT having coolant get into the oil or vice versa so just because you're not seeing the traditional "milkshake" coolant or oil doesn't mean that everything's ok.

First bleed the coolant to "burp" any bubbles of trapped air and then monitor the situation. If the problem returns you'll need to find the source of the air that keeps getting into your coolant system.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is it possible the thermostat is not working properly? Maybe stuck closed or not opening enough?
The symptoms described do not indicate a stuck thermostat. A stuck shut thermostat would cause overheating within 15 minutes regardless of driving conditions (unless OP is in the Arctic circle or something).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi,

I come to you because I noticed a problem on my 2012 V60 D5 AWD which totals 230Mkm, I have my level of coolant which fluctuates enormously.

I find myself with an extremely low level in my expansion tank (see photo below)

And when I open the expansion tank, I see and I hear the air decompression in the circuit and the coolant goes up to the level!

I have driven 2800km lately on these last 15 days and I had 2 alerts "high engine temperature please slow down" when I tapped in on German highway without limitation, usually it does not heat but there it worries me, the coolant is clear

I'm waiting for your opinion

thank you in advance
Have a shop do a combustion leak test on your coolant expansion tank; or you can use something like this to do it yourself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your advices
When I open the expansion tank, I hear air from the radiator in the cooling circuit, I will follow your advice, I will do a purge coolant and I will observe the situation. I also suspect a faulty head gasket!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Concur.

A bad head gasket can create these symptoms. If that is the case, to coolant will probably look muddy or dirty.
the coolant is clear, it has not changed appearance

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made an appointment with Volvo to make a diagnosis of this problem, I'll know more Wednesday night!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Verdict: for Volvo my problem would be a head gasket but I had many other negative opinions on a Volvo Facebook community in France so I'll make a second diagnosis in another garage not volvo, I'll keep you informed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts