SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have another issue that I need to tackle quickly. 2015 Drive E 2.0 was low on coolant on Monday. It had just gotten hot, so I topped it off and decided that was that. Came up low again on Friday. Friday night I popped the hood to inspect. I found some coolant pooling on the bellhousing. Topped it off and started it but couldn't find a leak. Today my wife took the car across town and got it nice and hot. When she got back I could smell coolant. Car was back just below the MIN level on the expansion tank and I could see some dripping.

It's hard to see, but I'm about 90% sure it's coming from the junction of the heater hose adapter and the small tiny probably brittle plastic hose that Ts off and runs to the expansion tank. My question is if anyone has had to deal with this. I'm wondering if I'm lucky enough to just have to replace the breather hose or if it's going to be the heater hose adapter which looks to be a PITA to swap out.

Here's a couple pics.

You can barely see a drop coming from just below the T where the breather hose plugs in.

Here's the part for reference:

The parts themselves aren't pricey, but I'm assuming the install will be a bit of a pain. The heater hose connects to the plastic piece with a metal band. One time hose clamp sort of deal.

Thanks in advance. Gotta drive to Colorado Springs next Sunday!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for all the input... I'll update anyway.

Local dealership had the breather hose in stock. My wife limped the car over there yesterday to get it. Unfortunately this was the result. Brittle plastic coolant parts strike again:

The hose clamp is a solid metal band. I had to use some vice grips to crush the piece and get it out. Like so:

As it sits now:

Had to take off today to go over to the dealership and get the adapter. Hose isn't anywhere within a 3 hour drive. I ordered it and it'll be here tomorrow. I think my hose is "ok", but just to be safe I'll have it in my pocket. Update when it's all back together.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not sure where to look in any of your pictures (adding arrows or circles would be a help). Once removed did you see better into if there was pooling below?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There was a little pooling on top of the bellhousing. I could finally see that at idle it was dripping pretty well and running down the back of the trans. I'm assuming that under load I was getting a bit of spray.

As an update, the car is together, but with the old heater hose. I believe the design has changed. I'll be installing the new hose tomorrow night when it comes in. I'll try to take some more detailed pictures of what's going on. Right now, though, it's dry and is running well. I'm just not 100% happy with the temporary fix.

I did get her cleaned up a little, though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update. After getting on the phone with IPD, and then them sending me to a good dealer, I found the CORRECT replacement part, which is all one piece.

The upper hose in this picture is the part I removed from my car after I had replaced the white plastic piece and used hose clamps to keep it in place. It wasn't the correct way and I felt like the hoses were eventually going to wear through the older rubber hose. The bottom piece is PN 8641078 and is the full piece. It's also roughly the cost of JUST the plastic piece (around $30 if I recall correctly). So, the entire fix including the breather hose that runs to the expansion tank and new coolant was under $100. Not too bad, just bad timing.

Happy to say that after bleeding it really well the car just made it about 2100 miles for our family road trip to Colorado Springs. Didn't leak a drop and got about 32mpg combined for the entire trip!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts